Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

OJ XMP - Edwin version 2.0

edwin

Wanted to pass along some feedback on some updates I've had done to my Edwin special XMP prop. Bit of background - I had OJ make me a 13x11.5 prop with lots of cup (.120) last year for my RLXi. The goal was to have the holeshot of the 11.5" prop yet pull down the rpms a bit so the boat wasn't spinning tons of rpms while cruising with the family. Loved the prop...worked great for our needs.

This year we had some pretty severe flooding so 95% of my boating has been on the 2,000' long private lake. We also added another ski partner...most trips had three in the boat and one behind it. In an effort to fix what wasn't broken, I worked with Eric Johnson to get the prop to spin up a little faster. The prop pulled great times, smooth pull, etc...but I wanted it a bit more responsive with almost 600lbs of beef in the boat.

Enter Edwin special v2.0. The 13x11.5 XMP comes standard with a .090 cup. I really didn't want to spin 3700 rpms in the course pulling 34mph skiers, so Eric took out some of the cup but not all. We ended up with a 13x11.5 with .100 cup and it's about as close of a match for the boat as you could ask for. The PP baselines are within 15 rpms of the OJ XMP 13x12 or ACME 13x12. The holeshot is stronger than either of the 12" props. The biggest difference however is in the way it pulls. The pull is firm but steady, never feeling like the boat wants to run away from you.

I've pulled two PB's in the last two weeks since putting the new prop on. I've had three skiers ask me what was different about the boat after just a couple passes. I couldn't be happier with the prop. For what it's worth, since skiing behing my boat with the new prop I've had one fellow ski club member already buy an XMP for his MC190 and two others, a MC197 and CC196 trying out props as I type. Eric was great to work with the guys that wanted to test a prop on their boats...worth considering if you need a prop.

I agree, Eric is great to work with and willing to do what it takes’s to find just the right prop for your boat. I have worked with Eric on a few things and will keep going back. Thumbup.gif

A heads up for any one wanting to find just the perfect prop.

Have as much data, tests and feel for how your boat works.

Run a few different props that you and your friends have.

Take readings with GPS and butt reading.

Know what you want at the end of the day.

Some time's you will have to give up one thing to achieve a higher goal.

You d man.

You mean you weren't out swerving when TR was 933?

By the way....Last Sat-Tuesday were the nicest days I have ever had on a lake. Upper 80's to low 90's and no wind. Before 11:00 and after 6:00 there was NO ONE out on the lake. Heck, Friday night we were out by #11 from 7:00 till well past dark and only had one boat come through. Nothing but glass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eric,

What is the difference in the decupped prop in terms of allowing you to get a couple of PB's? I assume that now the boat is operating though the course a hundred or so PRM's higher than before.

Based on your note, is the .030" additional cup worth about 300 rpm in the course at 34 mph?

Eric,

What is the difference in the decupped prop in terms of allowing you to get a couple of PB's? I assume that now the boat is operating though the course a hundred or so PRM's higher than before.

Based on your note, is the .030" additional cup worth about 300 rpm in the course at 34 mph?

It's difficult to explain as it's more of a feel thing. The boat is a bit firmer with the cup removed some, but yet it's not as firm / harsh as the ACME pull. The OJ XMP seems to have a better bite in the water than ACME, as if there's less slip in the water. I don't get the feeling of the boat being on and off the gas as much when I pull behind the boat...it's just more consistent. Also feel my boat drives / tracks better with the OJ as well.

As for the rpms, my 34mph PP baseline jumped 75 rpms....from 3340 to 3415 rpms. With 400lbs of crew weight and a 190lb skier it's spinning 3570-3580 rpms running 16.95 +/- .02 every pass. It's a great set up for this boat.