Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Shaft squeak

Hey gang! Just went searching for remedies for steering vibration....looks to be pretty common. Mine occurs between 1000 to 2000rpm, or when rudder turned all the way one direction. Nothing at high RPM's. Also I had to tighten prop nut as I noticed some play...( now maybe 1/32" of play on shaft ). When I was turning the shaft, it was sqeaking loudly thru the strut...wondering if that is normal?? I would assume it is lubricated when in water. This was a camp boat run 400 hrs in the SAC Delta area.....not the cleanest I am sure. Anything I should be worried about? Will be out this weekend to see if prop tightening helped at all.

Cheers

Dave

Very common also...and do NOT put it in gear out of the water as you will smoke the packing. You are 100% spot on in your thinking, btw. Rockon.gif

Hey gang! Just went searching for remedies for steering vibration....looks to be pretty common. Mine occurs between 1000 to 2000rpm, or when rudder turned all the way one direction. Nothing at high RPM's. Also I had to tighten prop nut as I noticed some play...( now maybe 1/32" of play on shaft ). When I was turning the shaft, it was sqeaking loudly thru the strut...wondering if that is normal?? I would assume it is lubricated when in water. This was a camp boat run 400 hrs in the SAC Delta area.....not the cleanest I am sure. Anything I should be worried about? Will be out this weekend to see if prop tightening helped at all.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Scott. I can't believe the info on this site....hopefully I will be able to pass on some knowledge one day. But for now it will probably be more like... "HELP ME"!! Dontknow.gif Anyways...just glad to finally own a BU

Dave

Your Welcome, always glad to help and Welcome.gif

This site can SAVE you a bunch of money, but be careful b/c there are some many neat accessories and DIY ideas on here, stereo information, mods, etc...that it has COST me a bunch of money too. ROFL.gif

Enjoy your Bu'!!!