Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Front ballast auto filling

I have a 2000 wakesetter escape (New to me) with the stock front ballast in the front locker. I went out today and it was auto filling without turning the pump on. We were not moving just sitting at the dock. This has not happened in the past. Is the pump bad? Or is there a different problem? Thanks for the help.

I have a 2000 wakesetter escape (New to me) with the stock front ballast in the front locker. I went out today and it was auto filling without turning the pump on. We were not moving just sitting at the dock. This has not happened in the past. Is the pump bad? Or is there a different problem? Thanks for the help.
It is probably caused by siphon. My 2005 Vride will do the same thing ,also lose water when full. Luckily Malibu started putting a ball valve after the thru hull and before the ballast pump ,so you can manually shut it off to stop auto filling and emptying. Most pumps are areator pumps ,so water can flow right past them when they are not on.

My front ballast was "auto filling" too. I installed a anti-siphon fitting in line and have not had any problems since the install which is about 75 hours of run time. I have a copy of the Malibu instruction and service bulletin to install this and can send you a caopy if you want, just pm me.

Otherwise, go to a west marine store and buy the anti siphon valve and the additional hose and install the valve as high as you can either under the dash area or on the passenger side with the amps.

-Dave

Would it help it the fill hose was routed different or if I put a loop in it? I had not had the problem with siphoning prior to me taking the sac out to clean it and then putting it back in.

Thanks

As winddawg there is a service bulletin put out to fix this problem. They carry the part at West Marine. The problem I was having was that I was asking for an anti siphon valve. They had one but as it turns out this is not what I wanted (At west marine when you ask for an anti siphon valve it is a part for the fuel tank, but I am sure it will do the same thing just not as easy as the following.). If you go to west marine ask for a 3/4 in vented loop, it is U shaped with a vent cap on the top, Additional parts needed were two hose clamps and three SS screws for mounting. Cut the fill hose under the dash and install the loop with the valve pointing up. Easy.

Thanks for all your help.

I have a somewhat related issue with my 2002 VLX. The front ballast still fills correctly, but for some reason will not drain. I have a separate post about water collecting in the bilge area that doesn't correctly run/flow to the back of the boat where the bilge is located... I don't know if this 2nd issue is related to the ballast not draining?

When I try to drain the front ballast/sack the pump activates but no water drains. I pulled the pump off the ballast and there was no evidence of clogging at the impeller. I checked the pump and outlet hose by pumping out some of the collected water - which it did no problem. Do I need to replace the ballast sack?

Are there part numbers for the

Pumps?

Sack?

Much appreciated!

Airdog

I have a somewhat related issue with my 2002 VLX. The front ballast still fills correctly, but for some reason will not drain. I have a separate post about water collecting in the bilge area that doesn't correctly run/flow to the back of the boat where the bilge is located... I don't know if this 2nd issue is related to the ballast not draining?

When I try to drain the front ballast/sack the pump activates but no water drains. I pulled the pump off the ballast and there was no evidence of clogging at the impeller. I checked the pump and outlet hose by pumping out some of the collected water - which it did no problem. Do I need to replace the ballast sack?

Pumps?

Sack?

Much appreciated!

Airdog

Not sure if this is your problem, but as you said the pump works when you remove it from the bag, so I would assume that when it is in the bag, it is sitting in a high spot / air pocket. Is your drain opening on the top of your bag or on the side? If on the top it is probably sitting in an air pocket. You can try to move your bag around, or fill it all the way up until water is forced out the drain, thus making sure there is no air in the bag and hit empty and see what happens.

Pumps?

Sack?

Much appreciated!

Airdog

Not sure if this is your problem, but as you said the pump works when you remove it from the bag, so I would assume that when it is in the bag, it is sitting in a high spot / air pocket. Is your drain opening on the top of your bag or on the side? If on the top it is probably sitting in an air pocket. You can try to move your bag around, or fill it all the way up until water is forced out the drain, thus making sure there is no air in the bag and hit empty and see what happens.

Good suggestion! I will check that out before spending $70 on a new pump.