Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

If Malibu created a Moomba version

2007vtx

If Malibu created a Moomba version  

233 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Malibu will create a cheaper brand name?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't really care unless it comes with a kegerator standard
  2. 2. Would you consider buying a Malumba?

• Yes
    • No, not even w/ a kegerator standard
    • Depends on quality and size of kegerator
  3. 3. I just wasted 2 minutes of my life participating in this poll

• True, what a waste
    • False, I have nothing better to do

BRING BACK THE SPORTSTER!!!

Tantrums, Basic as they get and with the best wakes for skiing

sportster was built off the same hull as the tantrum + $3000 and you get a real dash, instruments, interior and windshield.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MalibuTime

• 2007vtx

• CumminsBu

• Arctic Slalom

Plus1.gif

If it wasn't for the Tantrum, my first boat probably would have been an I/O. The were a great first boat for someone that wanted to buy new but still wanted a great skiing wake. I'm on my third Malibu now and love the boats. If I had bought an I/O, I may be in a Mastercraft or CC now. By pulling new boaters in with an economy model, it sets up the customer for long term brand loyalty as they look to upgrade.

Plus1.gif

If it wasn't for the Tantrum, my first boat probably would have been an I/O. The were a great first boat for someone that wanted to buy new but still wanted a great skiing wake. I'm on my third Malibu now and love the boats. If I had bought an I/O, I may be in a Mastercraft or CC now. By pulling new boaters in with an economy model, it sets up the customer for long term brand loyalty as they look to upgrade.

The only problem is people liked the sportsters too much!

If Malibu brought back a priced based sportster, dropped the RLX (hurts me to say that), and then have the response lxi I think it would be a good lineup. Before I think there wasn't enough of a difference between a sporty and a response for people to really "want" that upgraded model.

If they stripped Malibu's of thier luxury, they should not call them Malibu's. From a Marketing standpoint, if you make a bare bone boat they would loose some of the prestige that they have built up over the years. Malibu, Natuique & MC are "A" class boats. if you want a "b" or "c" buy a Supra, Tige, Moomba, etc.

What Malibu is doing makes good business sense. Pay for you R&D and hull molds with the top of the line boats. Then once you have paid for the R&D and molds, use the molds for your "budget" boats and reduce options, luxury, and bling without reducing quality. Then bring out the newest hull designs on your top of the line boats and start the cycle again. VLX becomes VRide every 4 years, etc... I doubt the VRide could be made much cheaper without cutting quality. They may be able to sell it for less but why should they if they don't have to.

With that said, I waited for years hoping that they would make a "low cost" V-drive with the Response Classic or Sportster hull. Of course I had to "settle" for the VTX.

"If Malibu created a Moomba version". I think that statement says it all. "Moomba" conjures up certain thoughts in all our minds, but are those positive thoughts? So what are we really asking??

BU makes me think leader and the driver in innovation. Moomba makes me think follower. I know for me if I wanted a much cheaper boat, I would not be a BU owner in the first place.

BU will have to consider what market they want to tap and do they want to compete in that market. Or even, does BU want to be labeled as part of that market? Should be plenty of demographics out there for that budget minded segment since those "other guys" have been playing in that field a long time; which also means BU would have to compete successfully in that world as well. Perhaps doing a "concept boat" at boat shows would be an idea to test the waters.

I thought the VRIDE was a great marketing idea and it worked. But I wonder what the statistics are on even a VRIDE being sold stock? 40k sounds pretty good in the brochure, but in actuality the people I know buying Vrides put many options on that basic boat. I know we put 8-9k of options on ours and it certainly made it not entry level in comparison to other budget minded boats on the market.

To do a very budget minded boat, cutting cost is beyond just the boat materials. IMO, BU would have to lower the overhead/total cost structure and modify their manufacturing model to get this done. Something tells me Moomba's business model is much different than Malibu's.

Peace.

Well, as mentioned above, Skiers Choice makes Moomba, which also makes Supra in the same plant. I'm sure THEY are very interested in this thread as well. :)

All said, I think this is great research answers for questions that I'm sure Malibu has already asked. So the bigger question to me is ...

What SIZE and STYLE boat do you want for this entry level boat?

Direct Drive or V-Drive?

Walk-through open boat I am assuming......

But...90" beam? 93" beam? 98" beam?

and....20' long? 21' long? 22' long?

Peter. :)

I'd like a VTX on a cut diamond hull, in the value/ride series..... Thumbup.gif

Well, as mentioned above, Skiers Choice makes Moomba, which also makes Supra in the same plant. I'm sure THEY are very interested in this thread as well. :)

All said, I think this is great research answers for questions that I'm sure Malibu has already asked. So the bigger question to me is ...

What SIZE and STYLE boat do you want for this entry level boat?

Direct Drive or V-Drive?

Walk-through open boat I am assuming......

But...90" beam? 93" beam? 98" beam?

and....20' long? 21' long? 22' long?

Peter. :)

I'd like a VTX on a cut diamond hull, in the value/ride series..... Thumbup.gif

Brian, Chicago Boatshow 2009, just do it, you only live once ;)

I won't give any detailed information or confirm anything, but I will say I wouldn't be surprised to see a budget brand (made by Malibu but without the Malibu name) coming out in a year or two...

• 2 weeks later...
I think it would be a good idea. The price of boats is to high and I think Malibu could deliver where moomba fails.

I test drove two Moomba's prior do buying my Bu. used. Both Moombas were used as well. The Outback DD had no wake at all even at wake speeds. the vdrive outback had bad handeling characteristics, and would porpose in little chop. All test drives were on the same day one right after the other. Also the higher quality of the Bu. will make you a believer. Yes a little money can be saved with a bare bones boat but is that reall what the market wants? How many barebones Malibu's are at the dealers rignt now. Most have some pretty nice options already installed. I have yet to see a bare bones boat on a dealers lot.

• 1 month later...
Seems like with the Vride getting bumped up to the bigger hull in 09, that would make the old Vride/VLX hull available to use in a truly budget minded boat.

You couldn't complain about the wake.... people have loved wake since like 2000/2001.

good point....what IS going to happen to that hull (v23 is it?)? But on the subject of a 'cheaper' version of a Malibu....I think it would be insane of Malibu to get into this market! I mean, look how well they sell the 'high end' boats now! I bet wakesetters out number vrides 5 to 1, which tells me that their demographic isnt interested in buying a low cost/high performance boat anyway.....Don't get me wrong, Wakesetters are DOPE (and I'm obviously biased), but what do the wakesetters offer that the vride doesnt besides a higher 'status' on the water. (obviously they offer more bells/whistles and a little bigger wake........but most of the people who own them ,admittedly, dont 'need' either of these things) I guess, in the end, what I'm getting at is.....most people in the market for a Malibu (or similar boat) are looking to get the latest/greatest/flashiest, biggest wake machine they can get their hands on and wouldn't be interested in a 'cheaper' boat. .....just one man's opinion....

The Moombas use lower quality vinyls, carpet, and probably assorted other goodies to cut some cost compared to the Supras. The key to a lower priced boat is lower costs.

I think that Malibu could sell a line below the V-Rides and they might take some sales away more from the Ride series than from the Wakesetters, but net net, they would sell alot more boats if they can dial in price/value.

The key is to get the price point below the sting of even the Ride series, then let people option them up, but you also want to provide value so that you are the value leader at your price point. Cut costs in production and R&D and then add some back in where you get the most bang for the buck, like a 3 color hull, blingy dash, cool tower.

Here's my .02 (well, more like .25)

Ways to raise price/value -

• As mentioned - using existing molds
  • Create new top molds that allow the same fittings/seats/dashboard/windshield (vary the walkthrough width) for 20,21 and 23' hulls
  • Design seats/cushions so they are the same for all lengths, except for one or two cushions.
  • Engine hatches that are the exact same size for all models
  • Swim steps that are the exact same size for all models
  • Smaller fuel tanks
  • Hard tanks that fit in all models
  • Bow seating that is the same size on all models
  • Single side or rear fuel fill
  • 3 or 4 color choices /packages, same on all model lengths
  • lower quality/less expensive gelcoat/colors and fiberglass methods/materials/resins
  • Same bow rails all models
  • Same dash all models
  • No carpet (like a fishin' boat!)
  • Surface mount cleats
  • option packages, no special orders, only packages - eg - Monsoon, watercoolded shaft seal and heater/shower all package deal, or whatever.
  • dealer installed options for many items
  • no factory stereo
  • pickle fork design, for people that want a MC, but at a lower price point Tease2.gif I just couldn't help myself!

The fewer variables on the production line, the quicker they can crank them out.

Other ways to cut costs-made in China or where ever-

• vinyl skins
  • towers
  • castings
  • windshields/frames
  • motor hatch covers
  • wire looms - same wire looms for all models, same lengths (just coil up extra)

Edited by TheBlackPearl
I won't give any detailed information or confirm anything, but I will say I wouldn't be surprised to see a budget brand (made by Malibu but without the Malibu name) coming out in a year or two...

Now would be a good time to purchase a facility from a failing brand. Have shop all set up and ready to go in no time.

To me I think it would be huge for one of the majors to have a REAL price point boat. There are lots of people like my self that want a ski boat but to drop well over 40k on what is considered a price point boat is ridiculous. Toyota has NO problem selling Lexus as well as a Corolla. I think blackpearl is on it. It still has to have a tower, bimini, cruise and maybe wedge. Options of ballast and bling.

If people want a realy cheap boat Malibu is not your boat. If someone wants a Moomba type boat get a moomba. Malibu doesn't need to make price point boats as they already sell more boats than any other boat manufacturer. IMO malibu made a pretty smart business decision by using the old molds they have and existing parts to complete the new ride series. In no way is a new ride series boat going to be as nice as a wakesetter series boat. They are going to be made out of cheaper and less desireable materials, getting someone into the Malibu name at a lower price.

Even Moomba is making leaps and bounds as far as quality and design goes. Their 09' lineup is actually pretty impressive. That just goes to show you that a stripped down boat with the smallest price tag possible doesn't equate to gaining market share. People want nice boats but just don't want to pay for it.

Edited by 06vlx

Malibu making a "price point boat" is sounding smarter (for them) all the time with the credit mess we are in..... It may be a way to keep valuable "niche" employees around instead of laying off their labor force due to $70K boats not flying out of the dealers lots like they have been.

Pat

If people want a realy cheap boat Malibu is not your boat. If someone wants a Moomba type boat get a moomba. Malibu doesn't need to make price point boats as they already sell more boats than any other boat manufacturer. IMO malibu made a pretty smart business decision by using the old molds they have and existing parts to complete the new ride series. In no way is a new ride series boat going to be as nice as a wakesetter series boat. They are going to be made out of cheaper and less desireable materials, getting someone into the Malibu name at a lower price.

Even Moomba is making leaps and bounds as far as quality and design goes. Their 09' lineup is actually pretty impressive. That just goes to show you that a stripped down boat with the smallest price tag possible doesn't equate to gaining market share. People want nice boats but just don't want to pay for it.

I don't think you brand it as a Malibu. Just use your expertise to build a quality boat at a lower price point to pull over more I/O or buyers considering used. As a busines decision, I would think Malibu would want to be very careful with the Malibu brand as a premium brand and not go downmarket with it. The goal is lower price, fewer features than even the ride series but still provide a great value to the consumer.

I skied and boarded behind a 2008 Moomba. Did not care for the wakes, fit and finish notwithstanding, which it's one thing to have lower quality materials, but there was some workmanship on the finish that was poor, to the point I wondered how the boat made it past QA inspection.

Edited by TheBlackPearl

I don't think you brand it as a Malibu. Just use your expertise to build a quality boat at a lower price point to pull over more I/O or buyers considering used. As a busines decision, I would think Malibu would want to be very careful with the Malibu brand as a premium brand and not go downmarket with it. The goal is lower price, fewer features than even the ride series but still provide a great value to the consumer.

I skied and boarded behind a 2008 Moomba. Did not care for the wakes, fit and finish notwithstanding, which it's one thing to have lower quality materials, but there was some workmanship on the finish that was poor, to the point I wondered how the boat made it past QA inspection.

Couldnt agree with you more you just sit in one after being in a bu and your like crap this sucks then then you start it up theyre loud rattley. My brother in law bought a 08 supra worlds edition nice looking boat past that it sucks. Hes had nothing but trouble stuff breaking off etc. They no after us switching weekends on each others boats they made the wrong choice. Even sadder they paid just as much as a bu!

• 2 weeks later...
Couldnt agree with you more you just sit in one after being in a bu and your like crap this sucks then then you start it up theyre loud rattley. My brother in law bought a 08 supra worlds edition nice looking boat past that it sucks. Hes had nothing but trouble stuff breaking off etc. They no after us switching weekends on each others boats they made the wrong choice. Even sadder they paid just as much as a bu!

I wish this was isolated to manufacturers other than Malibu. But they have their quality issues occasionally too. I love my Vride & have had little or no problems with the boat itself. But I ride with a guy who has an 08 23' LSV that has had nothing but problems. He's got the Hammerhead & of course it uses oil..... and a lot of it. I know this is a somewhat common thing but the dealer never told him about it & he probably would not have bought it if he'd known. He's also had problems like the Illusion tower rattling the pins loose all too frequently, and the Perko rear hatch locks breaking. This guy used to own an 06 VLX that had no problems...... and now he's wishing he'd never traded up!!

I'll be interesting to see what the quality is like with the new Axis wake boats.

I wish this was isolated to manufacturers other than Malibu. But they have their quality issues occasionally too. I love my Vride & have had little or no problems with the boat itself. But I ride with a guy who has an 08 23' LSV that has had nothing but problems. He's got the Hammerhead & of course it uses oil..... and a lot of it. I know this is a somewhat common thing but the dealer never told him about it & he probably would not have bought it if he'd known. He's also had problems like the Illusion tower rattling the pins loose all too frequently, and the Perko rear hatch locks breaking. This guy used to own an 06 VLX that had no problems...... and now he's wishing he'd never traded up!!

I'll be interesting to see what the quality is like with the new Axis wake boats.

I'll be interested to see how many things on my list they decided to implement. Whistling.gif

I'd like to hear from someone who actually understands, rather than thinks, where the cost comes from. Does going to cheaper carpet really make much of a difference? Do the chrome badges add that much more? How much does moving to an analog gauge package knock of the price? You get the picture.

It's likely the combination of all of those things that brings the price down, but where is the opportunity for the most bang for the buck?

And for what it's worth I would steer anyone looking at a new boat into a 2-4 year old Bu, CC or MC before I'd steer them towards a new "value" boat. I did exactly this when my buddy was buying his first boat and was caught up in the new boat thing, but didn't have the coin for it. He was, of course, looking at a Moomba. Ended up with a 5 year old Supra for half the price and never regretted the decision.

The ONLY advantage I see is having a new boat with a new boat warranty.

My $.02.

Mike