Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

If Malibu created a Moomba version

2007vtx

If Malibu created a Moomba version  

233 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Malibu will create a cheaper brand name?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't really care unless it comes with a kegerator standard
  2. 2. Would you consider buying a Malumba?

• Yes
    • No, not even w/ a kegerator standard
    • Depends on quality and size of kegerator
  3. 3. I just wasted 2 minutes of my life participating in this poll

• True, what a waste
    • False, I have nothing better to do

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MalibuTime

• 2007vtx

• CumminsBu

• Arctic Slalom

I think it would be a good idea. The price of boats is to high and I think Malibu could deliver where moomba fails.

VRIDE...

VRIDE MSRP-$41,695

I think malibu could put out a decent v-drive for $30,000 MSRP Boat, motor, tower, speed control, done. just my 2cents.

They would probably make alot of money off of that idea if they followed it through. Wouldn't be a bad idea.

I think Malibu should consider a lower value line up that is less expensive then the ride series line up and price from it 20K to 30K. A new comer to the sport may not want to throw 50k to 60k into a boat. Hesitate on buying used do to lack of warranty, mechanical or boating knowledge. This forces that person into the small I/O or jet boat market and Malibu losing a sale. Then again we may not want that type of Wally on are lakes.

Wow, is this someone from the Bu marketing department asking this question. This is the kind of skinny that they pay firms to gather for them.

Anyway my understanding is that this is in process. The same person that told me the VLX would be the new Vride said as much. So, FWIW, I think it is a matter of when rather than if.

Their biggest worry will be canibalizing their existing customer base and losing profit margin by having some that would buy up now buy the lower EBIDTA producing product. Of course the offset to this would be volume which is surely the magic balance that their marketing department and finance department are trying to define/chart.

I believe that them going to this model would be good for the consumer. They'll be able to experiment and push the highend more while keeping their soon to be cash cow feeding the innovation.

Cool stuff but again we should be getting paid for consumer IP we're providing. ;)

That is what the RIDE model is all about.

I think it would be a terrible idea to create a cheap branded Malibu.

I think it would be a good idea. The price of boats is to high and I think Malibu could deliver where moomba fails.

VRIDE...

VRIDE MSRP-$41,695

I think malibu could put out a decent v-drive for $30,000 MSRP Boat, motor, tower, speed control, done. just my 2cents.

No manufacturer makes a $30K boat. Might as well buy a new bayliner and put a tower on it.

I can't see Malibu making a boat less expensvie than the ride series. My question is where would they have to cut back on the bling or quality to make it that price? And if they cut back on the bling and quality would you still want it? If you would still want it then why do you own a Malibu now and not a Moomba? Dontknow.gif

Seems like with the Vride getting bumped up to the bigger hull in 09, that would make the old Vride/VLX hull available to use in a truly budget minded boat.

You couldn't complain about the wake.... people have loved wake since like 2000/2001.

Moomba is a boat about which I have not much knowledge (for good reason it sounds like). So what is "not good" about Moomba?

-Is it bad craftsmanship with the hull?

-Poor motors?

-Skeleton features?

-All of the above?

Is Moomba a lesser brand of Nautique or Mastercraft?

(yes, I could go search and find these answers on the net...but I'm lazy today)

I think there would be a market for a skeleton-featured boat with the same hull specs and quality of the Malibu line. But then, that might increase boaters on our waterways too (which I can do without).

i think moomba was started by a crew of ex-mastercraft folks.....?

i know you can pick-up a two or three year old outback (slalom boat) for under 20K -pretty nasty resale, IMHO.

if you want a good, value line boat, why not just purchase a 4-5 year old malibu for 25K off of current retail? a four year old malibu (if properly serviced/cleaned) should be more sustainable than a new moomba, correct?!

i think malibu would make $$$ with value line boat, though. i just like the fact that a new boat hasn't been beaten like a 'red-headed stepchild'. it's always hard to tell with a used boat, just how hard it has been run; even if it's in nice condition.

it'd be a bummer if malibu would dismiss those younger families/people looking for a value orientated, inboard boat. it's almost like 'value-orientated inboard boat' seems like an oxymoron, but it shouldn't be.

i wonder how the sales for the 'value orientated' lines have been doing the last few years (since the energy/economy downturn)? -are their numbers doing well?

it'd be interesting to see a pie chart of where all your money goes on a 65K wakesetter vs. a 40K mobius?

Edited by Arctic Slalom

VRIDE...

VRIDE MSRP-$41,695

30K? How do you figure?

Moomba is a boat about which I have not much knowledge (for good reason it sounds like)....

Ouch. Not sure where that came from. I know several Moomba owners & their pretty happy with what they have.

My 3+ yr old Vride was about the same price as their brand new boat with a warranty. So far none of us have sold our boats (so no resale comparison yet) or had any work done on them. The Vride definitely has more bling to it, more billet emblems, stainless trim, domed decals, etc. But the running gear is very similar. Time will tell which lasts longer.

I bought the 'bu for a couple of reasons. They have a great history of building a quality boat. I have a history with Malibu & numerous friend's boats. And I was hoping that the previous owner could eat the bulk of the depreciation, rather than it dropping as I drove it away from the dealer. Again, time will tell if that actually pans out.

From what I've heard from their owners, 10 yrs from now, Moomba may end up with a reputation similar to what Malibu has built for themselves.

And it seems like manufacturers are going to have to start building a more reasonable priced boat to keep attracting buyers.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

My wife and I considered the Moomba Outback. Drove one, skied and footed behind it. It was a real nice boat and within our price point. Not everyone has $50K+ to throw at a new boat but still want to stay above the I/O market and don't require all the bells and whistles. The Moomba does come standard with an Indmar engine, lifetime hull warranty. It is built under Skiers Choice in the same factory, with the same materials as Supra. My family has always owned Malibu so we could see the difference but it was a great starting point to get us into a boat of our own. In the end we found a 2006 RLXI that was the deal of a lifetime for us so we did not hesitate.

I think Malibu needs this kind of boat with the boat market and economy the way they are. We are hard core lake people and always strive to put more hours on the boat each year but we have had to cut out some lake time due to gas prices. I save all year for vacations and gas but at $4.60+ on the water and 9MPG in the truck hauling the boat I think a lot of people are in the same boat. 2 people we ride with were due to buy a new boat this year and both went used to help offset costs.

I like this idea. But I think it should have more of a separate identity. Toyota could not sell a Yaris (well before gas got so high) very well, but people lined up to buy Scions. Why? Different culture and marketing.

Basically make a Scion version of Malibu. Keep costs down by using existing technology and keeping the package very simple. Let people customize to their hearts content. Better for the company, better for dealers.

I agree with above poster that there are some people who would like simpler (read) cheaper models. Plus aim that at a younger age group.

Moomba is a boat about which I have not much knowledge (for good reason it sounds like)....

Ouch. Not sure where that came from. I know several Moomba owners & their pretty happy with what they have.

My 3+ yr old Vride was about the same price as their brand new boat with a warranty. So far none of us have sold our boats (so no resale comparison yet) or had any work done on them. The Vride definitely has more bling to it, more billet emblems, stainless trim, domed decals, etc. But the running gear is very similar. Time will tell which lasts longer.

I bought the 'bu for a couple of reasons. They have a great history of building a quality boat. I have a history with Malibu & numerous friend's boats. And I was hoping that the previous owner could eat the bulk of the depreciation, rather than it dropping as I drove it away from the dealer. Again, time will tell if that actually pans out.

From what I've heard from their owners, 10 yrs from now, Moomba may end up with a reputation similar to what Malibu has built for themselves.

And it seems like manufacturers are going to have to start building a more reasonable priced boat to keep attracting buyers.

came from the OP: "...deliver where moomba fails."

I heard complaints (don't know if they are credible) about the boats, and have had a couple buddies who had one from a few years back and they said that they didn't like it. But as I said, I haven't much knowledge of Moomba. They may be pretty good...dunno?

considering Moomba is owned by Skiers Choice, and built alongside Supra, we are talking Ford vs. Lincoln here. Same line, same hulls, same materials, just less expensive stuff.

I have crawled around Supra's and Moombas and they make a nice boat. Most of the things i did not like were design related, not component or quality. I looked hard at the large Moomba and Supra. One thing I noticed was that with options the large Moomba was close enough in price to the large Supra, that I could not see the reason to go with the lessor equipped boat.

Anyone ever own, ride, or see a Tantrum?!?!?! A friend of a friend had one...same motor and hull to my knowledge but VERY little in the way of interior, trim, and the like but it was interesting looking for someone who wants the quality with ZERO comfort or bling that was it...don't think it made it much more then a few years, if that.

Here's a question, if Malibu were to develop a lower-priced brand, where would they 'cut-back' such that there were real cost saving without sacrificing their name?

Lower quality components and/or construction would only burnish the Malibu name. You could de-content the boats...such as towers, ballast tanks, cruise, but then why buy a Malibu in the first place???

I think the Ride series fit the bill nicely for a 'budget' minded boat. Esp. since the adapting the 09s to the newer hulls