Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

economy in the bend, or area

h20sportsbum

some of you may already know that I have been in the hunt for work as well as home in the Bend, or area for quite some time now. I am curious as to if there is anybody in the area that happens to be hiring. With the economy the way it is here as well as there with my understanding. finding work is hard. I am currently working here in Reno, Nv but it is crazy expensive and am looking for a change. Any info would be awesome.

Carson

Bend might not be cheap, but compared to here it is. The type of work I am doing right now is the worst job to have this time of year. I work for a marine store here in Reno. Lets just say boats aren't flying off the shelfs here anymore. I am looking at getting out of this field and into construction or something along those lines. Again I realize not the best field. I know this. Thanks for the replies so far. Lets keep them coming. It will give me something to read during the down times in the marine industry. Biggrin.gif

I can tell you that the housing industry at the best will start to pull permits in 2010, that is if the economy improves. Multi-family construction is still proceeding albeit roughly 40% below last years numbers at this time. Smaller remodels and additions have been steady, but there is a huge amount of construction workers w/ years of experience out of work at the moment so bear that in mind. This isn’t meant to discourage you just the harsh times in that industry.

I can tell you that the housing industry at the best will start to pull permits in 2010, that is if the economy improves. Multi-family construction is still proceeding albeit roughly 40% below last years numbers at this time. Smaller remodels and additions have been steady, but there is a huge amount of construction workers w/ years of experience out of work at the moment so bear that in mind. This isn’t meant to discourage you just the harsh times in that industry.

We have had a few superintendents that have worked with the same developer for more than ten years applying for jobs, one guy even applied for an entry level Parks and Recreation position. Our chief building inspector whom I have lunch with gave me this info, He also might be laying off inspectors, It's bad.

Here in Bend the housing costs are coming down a bit, but the Construction Industry is taking a real beating. I do material estimating for new construction projects and I thing that I am down about 50% from last year. There are still jobs to be found, but one of my friend's wife applied for a 12.00 per hour job (along with 93 other applicants). I have full faith in our town, it is a great place to live, but it may be a little while until it is booming again.

Joe

Hey, sorry to hear about your job....Good luck with hunting and hang in there I am sure that things will definitely pick up after the election no matter who wins.....I hate to ask this but how do you post a forum question? I havent found anywhere that I can do that yet.....I am new just signed up about an hour ago....Thanks!!!!

Hey, sorry to hear about your job....Good luck with hunting and hang in there I am sure that things will definitely pick up after the election no matter who wins.....I hate to ask this but how do you post a forum question? I havent found anywhere that I can do that yet.....I am new just signed up about an hour ago....Thanks!!!!

Mdude would be happy to assist you with the posting ins and outs. :)

Joe

Welcome aboard....you'll like it here and someone will answer your posting question I'm sure...or you'll figure it out.

Where in Tenn are you? I'm in the Chatt. area. Look at Chattwake.com sometime.

Bend has very little in the way of a middle class economy. Historically it's been a cheap place to live that attracted people that loved the outdoors. Over the last 15 years that has changed, with more and more retirees flooding the area from Southern California, and many other locations. They bring a lot of money to the area, but except for their ridiculously big house and new cars, they don't do anything to stimulate the middle class, and they're not bringing new industry to the town.

Service labor, the staples and construction (albeit to a lesser degree as Slider mentioned) are the mainstays of the economy in Bend. So unless you have an offer on the table, I wouldn't plan on moving here for a while. Hopefully when the economy turns around more businesses will be drawn to Central Oregon for the quality of life they can offer their employees, but until then, the middle class will struggle here.