Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

FUEL CONSUMPTION

MN_LSV

This is our first season with the 2003 WS 23LSV, (diamond hull). So far we have mainly used it for boarding and surfing on small lakes. We are planning a week long camping trip, where we will be using it at cruising speeds to travel greater distances (minimum 12 miles from landing to campsites with the ability to go over 50 miles in any direction).

Does anyone have any recommendations on the best cruising speed/rpm for the best mpg? I know it's kind of a vauge questions with engine size, propping, hull design and other variables, but any advice that will help save $ at the pump would be appriciated. I think it is going to be an expensive "camping trip" with 7 of the 10 people going being boarders! Oh well, that's why we all own our Bu's, to be out on the water as much as possible.....

Great question, I would love to know the answer too.

hmmm, taking a guessing stab at it, I'd say somewhere comfortably over plain.

So around low 20's mph???

I guess boats can't have gears huh? :)

Might be nice to have a 6 speed Malibu. LOL

Great question, I would love to know the answer too.

hmmm, taking a guessing stab at it, I'd say somewhere comfortably over plain.

So around low 20's mph???

I guess boats can't have gears huh? :)

Might be nice to have a 6 speed Malibu. LOL

MB sports have 2 speed trannys.

I'd guess that you shoudl empty all the ballast & get the motor around 2000 - 2500 RPM.

Or just make sure you always have someone riding so your not wasting gas! Rockon.gif

This is our first season with the 2003 WS 23LSV, (diamond hull). So far we have mainly used it for boarding and surfing on small lakes. We are planning a week long camping trip, where we will be using it at cruising speeds to travel greater distances (minimum 12 miles from landing to campsites with the ability to go over 50 miles in any direction).

Does anyone have any recommendations on the best cruising speed/rpm for the best mpg? I know it's kind of a vauge questions with engine size, propping, hull design and other variables, but any advice that will help save $ at the pump would be appriciated. I think it is going to be an expensive "camping trip" with 7 of the 10 people going being boarders! Oh well, that's why we all own our Bu's, to be out on the water as much as possible.....

Just surf your way there and back 12miles at 11MPH should take just over an hour. I've surfed over 5 miles without stopping, so you should be able to get at least 3 or 4 of your crew taken care of. By the way after that long run, just over a half hour I was done surfing that day. Used less than 5 gallons of gas.

Just surf your way there and back 12miles at 11MPH should take just over an hour. I've surfed over 5 miles without stopping, so you should be able to get at least 3 or 4 of your crew taken care of. By the way after that long run, just over a half hour I was done surfing that day. Used less than 5 gallons of gas.

Ya, we will be loaded down with all the people and camping stuff, so we will have plenty of weight!

Actually, we are bringing a couple of small fishing boats so I was thinking we will tow at least one to the campsite and save on the gas and time. We towed one fishing boat out last year with a 19ft 4.3L I/O no problem. The 8.1L won't even know it's back there. I think we will load it with firewood, extra gas cans and a few teenagers! We told our son's (4) 17 year friends that are going with to plan on bringing (2) 6 gal cans of gas each if they plan on boarding and surfing everyday. That should give us 2 full tanks to go thru before we have to fill up on the water for big bucks.

Ya, we will be loaded down with all the people and camping stuff, so we will have plenty of weight!

Actually, we are bringing a couple of small fishing boats so I was thinking we will tow at least one to the campsite and save on the gas and time. We towed one fishing boat out last year with a 19ft 4.3L I/O no problem. The 8.1L won't even know it's back there. I think we will load it with firewood, extra gas cans and a few teenagers! We told our son's (4) 17 year friends that are going with to plan on bringing (2) 6 gal cans of gas each if they plan on boarding and surfing everyday. That should give us 2 full tanks to go thru before we have to fill up on the water for big bucks.

Just fill all your ballast bags with gas ROFL.gif

Rule of thumb to save gas while cruising is under 3000RPMs. I find that above 3000 it doesn't matter if I run 35MPG or 45. It still drops about the same.

I guess the obvious answer (besides filling my ballasts with gas) is to get it to plane out and stay under 3000 RPM. I'm guessing it will be around 25-28mph.

When you have so much open water in front of you, and an boat that will go 50+mph, it is just so hard not to open it up!! I'm sure when I see the price of gas on the water is around $6/gal, I'll have no problem slowing down.....

Since every boat is different all you have to do is take the speed your driving and divide it by the RPMs the engine is running. Do that for different speeds either fast or slow. The answer that gives you the highest number is the most efficient for your boat.

This should be fairly simple to figure out. Most diagnostic software with data logging capability should be able to monitor fuel flow in lb/hr. Fuel flow is going to vary based on RPM and throttle setting. If someone with a laptop and some logging software were to spend ten minutes or so logging different rpms, and the associated fuel flow rates, then note the speed of the boat at the given tested rpms, after a little simple math, you should know how many pounds of fuel are burned for each mile traveled.

Of course, my boat is a carbie, so I'm out as the tester!

Strange question, on my Echelon the Computron gives me MPG, Gallons per hour, and one other economy readout. New bu's lack this feature? For instance at 2800 or so with 2 people in the boat i think we cruise about 9 gallons per hour, at WOT 28, at 4000 rpm 18 GPH.

Edited by 95echelon