Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

BEST LAKE EVER

dntbrngmedwn

What up 'boozers. Was wondering if you guys could help me out. I wanna take the wife and kid to a lake with canyons around it, ya know blue water with the orange canyons high above. A total picture of paradise. but w/o physically going to each lake in the states I don't really know how to find one. I live in Kansas City and there sure isn't any around here. I was thinking probably Texas or something but i really don't know. Does anyone have a hidden secret they wanna let me in on. if not just rep your favorite lake and tell me how good it is so that this forum isn't a barren wasteland.

My belief is that the 'best lake' is any lake I'm enjoying with friends & family.

However if you really want to enjoy the scenery, the best bet is to look & search internet... You can find pictures of most lakes pretty easily.

The blue water/orange canyon lake sounds like Lake Powell in Utah - and it's landscape is pretty unique.

Most others lakes around the mid west will be blue water & green trees/mountains. Ozarks, Table Rock, Ouachita, most of the Ky/Tn TVA lakes.

Have a look here at us lake info to find some of the larger lakes in each state & see where that takes you.

If we tell you, it won't be a secret anymore... :Doh:

Edited by wienrdog

I second the Lake Powell nod, but that would be quite a cruise from you. Lake of the Ozarks is nice too for scenery!

you haven't been to a "best" lake until you hit the deep lakes of the Canadian shield... water so clear you can drink it.... so calm you can rip it!!!

Everybodies definition of the "best lake" is so different so I'm not sure how we could all agree. Might be good to lay down some more criteria, ie; warm water, hot weather, good water conditions, houseboats, waterfront amenities, what part of the world, etc.

I'll 3rd the suggestion for Powell. Water levels are up this year, and the scenery is tough to beat. We've driven by it but have yet to make a houseboat trip there.

Banks has been great for us the last couple years for scenery, glassy conditions, etc. but doesn't have any of the resort amenities most people would want. Roosevelt & Wannapum are similar & nearby. Great destinations for riders in the NW US but not sure I'd do it if I were in KC.

Shasta is sweet. Loads of scenery, great water & tons of amenities. Too bad it's in the midst of a drought this year. Guess that means houseboat rates will be good. And lots of red rocks showing.

Naciemento (sp?) is nice. Not sure there are any houseboats there though. Seems they have their drought issues every few years too.

Havasu is fun. Houseboats & some scenery but conditions can be sketchy, and not sure it's the best place for kids.

Several other western lakes that might rank that I've never been to, ie; Oroville, Clear, Mead, Billy Chinook, etc.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

lake powell is a big a popular favorite then. how about one that is more like a canyon river i guess, that you can wakeboard on? and this is just for my personal gratification so i appreciate everyone responding. you guys are truly 'boozers

How about Lake Mead, maybe you could make it all the way to the Grand Canyon. You could call that a "Canyon River", and if you board it you too will be a true Boozer Rockon.gif

lake powell is a big a popular favorite then. how about one that is more like a canyon river i guess, that you can wakeboard on? and this is just for my personal gratification so i appreciate everyone responding. you guys are truly 'boozers

Powell, Mead & Havasu are all dammed reservoirs on the Colorado River. The next dams downstream are Parker & Laughlin, but really fun places to ride & vacation.

Wannapum, Banks, & Roosevelt are all dammed reservoirs on the Columbia River. The next dams down are nice too, Entiat is the only one I can think of.

Shasta is a dammed reservoir of the Sacramento, Pit & some other river I don't recall.

All are flooded valleys. Thanks to FDR & the NEW DEAL for dragging the country out of the depression & building some of the finest lakes in the west!

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Look up Greers Ferry and Heber Springs, AR (north of Little Rock). You won't have a canyon, but you will have outcroppings of rocks and beautiful clear water. There's a number on cabins and such to rent that have boat docks.

how about Table Rock or Beaver Lake?????? Only about 4-5 hour drive from Platte City where I live(im at Table Rock as I type) Lake is still up quite a bit but still pretty good visibility, when at regular levels there is really clear water......There are quite a few cliffs but maybe not as big as you want.(I wouldn't want to go to Tahoe except for sight seeing, I'll mark that as the worst vacation I ever had and little to nothing for kids to do.......look at their year around water temps also.

Powell, Mead & Havasu are all dammed reservoirs on the Colorado River. The next dams downstream are Parker & Laughlin, but really fun places to ride & vacation.

Wannapum, Banks, & Roosevelt are all dammed reservoirs on the Columbia River. The next dams down are nice too, Entiat is the only one I can think of.

Shasta is a dammed reservoir of the Sacramento, Pit & some other river I don't recall.

All are flooded valleys. Thanks to FDR & the NEW DEAL for dragging the country out of the depression & building some of the finest lakes in the west!

That'd be the McCloud.. :)

We don't have any great lakes in Cali...they are dry...

Hijack..... :)

FDR may have created the new deal but he also left us w/ a disaster called welfare, perhaps he should have taken a lesson from his cousin TR...

Hijack off... :)

That'd be the McCloud.. :)

We don't have any great lakes in Cali...they are dry...

Hijack..... :)

FDR may have created the new deal but he also left us w/ a disaster called welfare, perhaps he should have taken a lesson from his cousin TR...

Hijack off... :)

Yep, that would be the case..... on both points. In his defense though, I don't know that anyone could foresee how fat & lazy people in this country have gotten.

Another good lake would be Dale Hollow in TN. Beautiful country there...... although it's not red rock, they have their share of canyons. And great water conditions.

i think that lake degrey in arkansas is the best lake. that i have been to anyways. every time i go i can ski the shore line for miles and not see another boat. last time i went i skied the shore line an hour and only saw one other boat

I think that only on themalibucrew.com can you post a question asking where the best lake to ride is, even with certain criteria to meet and get a response like what is on this forum. Damn boys you all love to ride and love to own a boat i take it. but i guess that not much else is better than a tight family on smooth water, right.

thnxs

That brings up an interesting point. Is the "best lake" criteria total seclusion? I'm too much of a ham for that. We need people to visit with, party with, show off for, check out the talent, etc. I'm all for getting the good water. And it certainly doesn't have to be like Copper Canyon to be fun (although, that was fun too). But if the place is dead, we'd get bored.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
...the deep lakes of the Canadian shield... water so clear you can drink it.... so calm you can rip it!!!

and so cold (most of the year)...you can walk across it. :lol:

Just teasing. Biggrin.gif

The best lake ever is the one that no one is at and the water is clean and it's glassy all day. I have one that fits that description at least until noon and I am going to keep it that way, Sorry Tongue.gif

Tahoe is beautiful but not for wakeboarding, or swimming. Too cold for my taste.

The blue water/orange canyon lake sounds like Lake Powell in Utah - and it's landscape is pretty unique.

Plus1.gif

Plus1.gifPlus1.gifPlus1.gifPlus1.gifPlus1.gifPlus1.gifPlus1.gif

Hey, you cant "+7" after a "+1"....

Fingerwag.gif

LOL Well Powell deserves it and at some point we will be going, but gas $$ need to come down first.

I usually just get annoyed by anyone else that is on the lake so for me i think that if i was the only boat on the whole lake and i had to camp at a campsite w/ just the people from my boat i would be totally content w/ that