Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Heat exchanger

OK, first post and a dumb question, I recently bought an 02 Sunscape w/325 Monsoon. On the top port side of the motor there is a canister with a rad like lid and it's full (or 1/2 full) of anti-freeze. The paperwork I have states that the boat does NOT have a closed cooling system. I found the original delivery checklist from when the boat was new and it is again the closed cooling section is crossed out. Is this canister for the heater or shower ?

OK, first post and a dumb question, I recently bought an 02 Sunscape w/325 Monsoon. On the top port side of the motor there is a canister with a rad like lid and it's full (or 1/2 full) of anti-freeze. The paperwork I have states that the boat does NOT have a closed cooling system. I found the original delivery checklist from when the boat was new and it is again the closed cooling section is crossed out. Is this canister for the heater or shower ?

it is a heat exchanger, if this is antifreeze in it. look at this picture, this is a 2000 Monsoon with FWC. that black canister on the top is the heat exchanger. if yours looks like this, maybe it was added by the dealer or aftermarket:

MonsoonwithFWC.jpg

Yep, that's what mine looks like, except it runs the other way on the side of the engine .. so this is the closed cooling system?

Um, water separating fuel filter? Where is it located exactly?

Jack, no water separating fuel filters on EFI engines, if they are added they usually create a running condition (lousy fuel delivery)

To the OP, looks like you may have closed cooling, which is a plus. But I find it hard to believe they were able to put the heat exchanger on either side of the motor.

Jack, no water separating fuel filters on EFI engines, if they are added they usually create a running condition (lousy fuel delivery)

To the OP, looks like you may have closed cooling, which is a plus. But I find it hard to believe they were able to put the heat exchanger on either side of the motor.

The boat is a v-drive, so it has a roomier compartment .. the canister runs ontop of the manifold in the same direction.

my guess is it was after market then. is it an ORCA brand (mine is orca, in 2000 that was factory installed).

just for the record, this system is actually considered a half loop closed system, because raw water is still used to cool the exhaust manifolds and risers. a full closed system runs antifreeze through them too.

OK, first post and a dumb question...

Ask a dumb question...get a dumb answer. That's why we keep Jack around. :lol:

... a canister with a rad (radiator) like lid and it's full (or 1/2 full) of anti-freeze.
Um, water separating fuel filter?

Ya Jack, it's fuel filter with a radiator style cap and it's full of anti-freeze. Crazy.gif Gas has gotten so expensive he thought he'd run a little Prestone instead of premium. :Doh: Moron. :lol:

Chris, '02 and prior had a second fuel filter, canister, port side on a DD. I missed that he had a VD.

Michael, with a newbie, ya never know. Closed cooling is generally on top of the motor, not next to it. As for the anti-freeze, well, you're the resident expert there. Your brain is full of it. Tease2.gif

Oh Jack I know that but those are not water separating, they were threaded in the high pressure side of the fuel pump. The screen before the pump was actually finer than the filter so that's why they dumped it.

-Chris

Oh, not water-separating? I figured the canister style, in that location, was the w-s type.

Definately nothing to do with fuel as it's full of anti-freeze .. I was just surprised to find the closed cooling as the boat will never get anywhere near salt water.

Oh, not water-separating? I figured the canister style, in that location, was the w-s type.

Definately nothing to do with fuel as it's full of anti-freeze .. I was just surprised to find the closed cooling as the boat will never get anywhere near salt water.

Yes, but was it before?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, but was it before?

Don't think so as it was originally purchased in Alberta (1000 miles from the ocean) and I purchased it here.