Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

98 Response LX hesitation out of the hole

Hello all first timer here, I cruised around looking for help with this problem but didn't have any luck so I registered hoping someone might have some ideas. I've been living with this hesitation problem for a few years and just kind of dealing with it but this year it seems to have gotten just a little worse. The motor is a Merc 350/300 MPI on which I've done the fuel/water separator, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and different fuel system cleaners. It was gone over by a mechanic late in the year in '07 and he called it "a snappy tomato" but under load it's a different story. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by 12bskiing

Same problem, same engine. I have a 97 though. I have a new cap and plugs. I still don't know what causes this. I really only notice mine on the first hard acceleration of the day, and then it's fine. Is yours always doing this?

if you did a full tune (including fuel filters**) i would be suspect of dirty injectors, pull them out and get them cleaned /tested

the engine needs more fuel when it's cold, less when it's hot. If you have sticky injectors leaking it will run fine when its cold and crappy when it's hot because it has too much fuel.

Personally i would start running a few tanks of premium, and hot dog the motor around to see if you can get things cleaned out, these motors get really dirty because they run a much cooler temp than our cars do.

I had been running premium with mostly the same results, had the tune up and still the same. If it is injectors is that a DIY job or should I take it back to the mechanic? Also if it is a DIY is there a way to clean them rather than replacing them? Thanks for any and all suggestions!!

You can replace just the screens, not a big deal. Done it quite a few time on customers boats to fix running issues. It's only labor to replace the screens, the parts are dirt cheap.

-Chris