Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

3 blade prop, destroyed itself?

BlazerSS

Does anyone have insight as to why Malibu uses Acme Props?

I would think that since OJ is right across the street from the TN factory they would have or could have a great working relationship...

Acme was the first manufacturer doing the CNC thing. Malibu signed on with them early and it's been a great relationship.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BlazerSS

• NorCaliBu

• Malibudude

• Eric LX

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello and thanks for the last few comments. I had a pretty hard time from the Crew here.... I had a few phone calls in which I was trying to get Malibu to just email, send letters, and put a few comments on here about the props. I didnt want a thing from them.. Never once asked for money to help with the repair. Thought they would have been friendly, but the woman I spoke with was terrible. I was shocked and upset that I would be treated how I was. She was very unsympathic to my call and the fact I was upset that my family could have been hurt.

I mean I have been upset with serivce before and a good customer service rep will calm you and ensure that it will turn out fine. I was not upset MORE THAN SHOCKED.

Anyway, troops are almost fully rotated for another 6 to 9 month tour. Lets hope the road side bombers are found ...

Take care all, and I have more pics, and the guys contact info if you need this mold. Unreal how it fit so well.

Jeff

Hey Blazer, when are you just gonna leave it alone??? You're SHOCKED??? Give it a rest will you.

From your very first few posts it seems that you're ticked with everybody. Your ISP provider, Malibu, some of this site's responders. This site is not owned by Malibu... so don't expect this site to search everyone out on Malibu's behalf and tell them about the various potential things that may or may not break. This site is populated by people who love their boats and are prepared to help each other. You're really continuing to tick nice/caring/helpful people off with your attitude. What gives. Chill!

We got it. Your old CVP prop gave up the ghost. How was Malibu supposed to have tracked you down as the owner to tell you in advance? What's next.... you've got some discoloring on some vinyl, and they didn't warn you not to let grape juice sit on the seat?

It's wonderful that your serving our Canadian troops overseas, but that's got nothing to do with your CVP prop.

It's time to suck it up..... you've done your research AFTER the prop disintigrated.

Get a CNC prop.

Edited by doughickey

All summer, I live at my summer place. No email access, really, unless I bring my laptop and sit outside the local library with their wireless connection.

Age is catching up a bit, despite all my good intentions. Still use my classic '98 Response, but chronic lower back problems... on my 2nd pull-up in early July, side-lined me for 3 weeks. Now I'm stuck (so embarassed) doing 2 ski starts and dropping. The lower back has no strength. So, once up, I ski hard until I fall. But I refuse to stop. Bought an ATV for a different type of fun. Still use the water toys for my kids .... and now my grand-kids.

I've become a lurker on the Crew. Yes, the whiner pulled me out of my slumber. Like tassling with old Tommy Boy.... now there's a cranky Canadian if I ever remember one.

Thanks for your post. Nice to visit again!

Edited by doughickey
...chronic lower back problems... on my 2nd pull-up in early July, side-lined me for 3 weeks. Now I'm stuck (so embarassed) doing 2 ski starts and dropping. The lower back has no strength...

Have you tried physical therapy and core exercises? Restrengthen your back and the supporting cast of muscles (core/trunk structure) and you'll be back doing deep water starts. Thumbup.gif Nice to see you back. I miss the "old times". Anyone heard from Steve (WhiteVLX) lately?

...chronic lower back problems... on my 2nd pull-up in early July, side-lined me for 3 weeks. Now I'm stuck (so embarassed) doing 2 ski starts and dropping. The lower back has no strength...

Have you tried physical therapy and core exercises? Restrengthen your back and the supporting cast of muscles (core/trunk structure) and you'll be back doing deep water starts. Thumbup.gif Nice to see you back. I miss the "old times". Anyone heard from Steve (WhiteVLX) lately?

I corresponded a couple of times with him over the years but he's just busy and isn't on the water much. Hope he finds his way back to the Crew and more importantly the water.

Doug,

Sorry to hear your back is giving you issues. Is it from an injury of some kind or just becoming problematic? Jenny Lebow (Marcus Brown's GF) has some great pre/post workouts for skiing, not sure if they wil resolve your back issue but might be worth a try.

Hello and thanks for the last few comments. I had a pretty hard time from the Crew here.... I had a few phone calls in which I was trying to get Malibu to just email, send letters, and put a few comments on here about the props. I didnt want a thing from them.. Never once asked for money to help with the repair. Thought they would have been friendly, but the woman I spoke with was terrible. I was shocked and upset that I would be treated how I was. She was very unsympathic to my call and the fact I was upset that my family could have been hurt.

I mean I have been upset with serivce before and a good customer service rep will calm you and ensure that it will turn out fine. I was not upset MORE THAN SHOCKED.

Anyway, troops are almost fully rotated for another 6 to 9 month tour. Lets hope the road side bombers are found ...

Take care all, and I have more pics, and the guys contact info if you need this mold. Unreal how it fit so well.

Jeff

Jeff,

Your service is admirable, however I have a hard time believing Malibu was rude. There are always two sides to a story and therefore we are only hearing on side. I can’t count how many times Malibu has gone far beyond anything I could have imaged for customers. Malibu isn’t going to post on this forum board or any other, its corporate policy to not engage on the boards. They do read the boards and have contacted folks w/ issues and got them resolved.

I corresponded a couple of times with him over the years but he's just busy and isn't on the water much. Hope he finds his way back to the Crew and more importantly the water.

Doug,

Sorry to hear your back is giving you issues. Is it from an injury of some kind or just becoming problematic? Jenny Lebow (Marcus Brown's GF) has some great pre/post workouts for skiing, not sure if they wil resolve your back issue but might be worth a try.

Hey folks, it's nice to have the warm "return" reception. Thanks for the kind words. It's been fun on the Crew (and before that ... MBO) Electronically "met" a lot of great people. Shared a lot of neat ideas.... bought a lot of stuff.....sold some stuff too. In fact, I just shipped off one of my Launch Seats to a new Crew Member thanks to contact via The Crew. (I still kept 2 for my 98 RLX.... I didn't need the 3rd any more)

My back is just wear and tear. No real big injury..... just a collection of small ones over the years. After barefooting (yielding 2 split eardrums and it's multi high speed spills) many years ago, slalom since the mid 60's (never got hurt on the skinny stick), wakeboarding (another split ear-drum).... that won't heal (despite a failed tympanoplasty 2 years ago), and I still ski with earplugs, headband, and helmet to protect the left ear..... I think the hard bangs are starting to catch up. After walking with the cane for 3~4 days in July, just being the driver in the RLX for my kids (and now my grandkids) was a joy to get back "on" the water.... I'm starting to think maybe I gotta slow down a wee bit. Not stop, just slow down.

Talked to medical folks.... they ask "when does the back become a problem?" I say "Only when I ski hard." "Not any other time of year or other activities?" "Nope!" We talked about fusing the vertibrate.... but that has other risks and downsides. Any surgury has its risks. So, for now anyway, I'm trying to strengthen the back some for next season.... give it a go again. I aint done yet. Even getting up on 2 (despite the loss of ego).... once I'm up and cutting hard, it's still a rush.

I got to use my EZ Slalom course once.... just once..... 2 years ago. I think I'll be trying to find a buyer next summer. It's not just the back..... it's that the lake is gettingbusier and busier, and I know it isn't appreciated taking up that much open water space. I may have to live with open water stuff. We'll see.

It's all kinda like when I turned 40 and realized I needed reading glasses. Once you get over it, you put them on, and get reading again. Not a big deal. Or when you notice the "male pattern baldness" setting in. First it's "oh crap".... then it's "oh well, who cares". As Forrest Gump said "It happens!".

They're not writing my eulogy yet. I'm not quite 60 yet.... soon..... lots of miles left. Likely won't upgrade to one of the early model Respons LXi's ( those first few years were the sleekest darn boats Malibu ever made). Gonna stick with the '98 RLX.

Life is good. Things shift that's all. I'm still hangin' around.... just not talking so much, but I'm here.

Thanks again to my old buddies. Talk soon.

They do read the boards and have contacted folks w/ issues and got them resolved.

Absolutely agree with this statement. I was having trouble contacting the Club Malibu team after i purchased my boat. After a post on here asking if anyone knew of a problem, i got an email from someone at Malibu to help me out. Ended up trading several emails because the guy was from the midwest area.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

Thanks for the comments. I know that people would have been pretty surprised at how the conversation went. I am sure the woman I spoke with thought I was trying to get cash from them.. Far from it, just wanted a simple email out to owners to be aware of this issue. I am sure that most people with a little common sense would purchase a newer prop from a company that is still in business and would take care of an issue. I guess doing an email like this assume responsibility. That could make an issue for someone later in life.. who knows.. So being told I hit something forsure and my shaft was bent.. was a little over the top... as with more knowledge about the boat..I now know that you cant run the shaft out of the water.. and that was why I heard that incredible sound that made me want to curl up and cry in the corner of my garage..lol.... maybe even my attempt at humour was lost on her.. who knows.. however my boat is up and running. Well was as here you could freeze the nuts of a steel bridge right now.

So again thanks to those that assisted me, with comments off line, or online. Thanks to those that didnt jump down my throat and took sometime to understand a frustrated dude.

Called and spoke with Malibu since this happened and they assisted me with no issue. I was impressed with the person I spoke with and the person, I spoke with back last year is no longer there.

Have a great Christmas all, and a safe and happy new year. This is the first one I am home for, since 2006. Perfect.

Jeff

I accumulated over 700 hours on a CVP prop, can't complain at all about it. I installed an ACME and it works great, as mentioned the folks at Acme are great. I have spent some time on the phone with Eric at OJ and he is very knowledgeable, courteous and forthcoming with his knowledge about his product line, I am using some of the drivetrain components and they are great. I really feel that both OJ and Acme are servicing the marine industry extremely well and would purchase products from either of them in a heartbeat. Just my 2 cents worth.

Also, do yourself a favor.... buy the prop wrench kit.

I've found that the only valuable part of that kit is the actual Prop Puller. The wrench that comes with it stinks and is a knuckle buster. I ended up going out and buying an 18" crescent wrench