Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

3 blade prop, destroyed itself?

BlazerSS

Hey anyone heard of these Ss three blade props just blowing up? I am 99% sure I did not hit anything, and this blade is totally gone. I have hit stuff before, and naturally you see the damage, and feel the vibration, but this one is totally gone, and nothing was heard before she left go.. hmm

Your thoughts.. on this, as I cant find anything in the search.

Jeff

98 Response

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BlazerSS

• NorCaliBu

• Malibudude

• Eric LX

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone reading this who runs a CVP stainless prop, cease using the prop immediately! They're ticking time bombs. Get a nice OJ or ACME CNC prop and never look back.

YES STOP NOW...

it is a CVP and I will take pictures and post ASAP... as this is bulls***.

I have damage to the bottom.. I am dial up for another few days.. as it only took till the last week for this company called BELL to get their crap together and get ME high speed.. losers..lol

ok well thanks for the quick replies..

Jeff

ok dont know how to add a picture.. that sucks... any help there?

Anyone reading this who runs a CVP stainless prop, cease using the prop immediately! They're ticking time bombs. Get a nice OJ or ACME CNC prop and never look back.

Was that the factory prop from Malibu? :unsure: I know I have a three blade stainless from that era (99 Response) but don know the brand.

H2o Ski dude,

Lose that prop.. I would not risk it.. as it was an incredible vibration and if I was at top speed, .. well who knows... it only did a little damage to the boat and really shook up the passengers... would have been bad if i was on the boom, or teaching someone on the boom.. as you know you cant reduce when someone is learning.. could have cost me more than just some dental work.

will email malibu and let them know, as I am not impressed.

Jeff

Was that the factory prop from Malibu? :unsure: I know I have a three blade stainless from that era (99 Response) but don know the brand.

yep, that was the factory prop in 99 for my Sunsetter LXI. Pretty sure the response had the same prop.

It was a factory prop. There are problems with the castings. I don't know exactly what caused it, but the stainless steel on these props were the blades meet the hub are porous. After a while, the blades fly off. CVP is no longer in business.

If I were used boat shopping and a boat I was interested in had a CVP, the first thing I'd do if I bought it would be to make that prop a big shiny paperweight.

Wow!! I was going to save my old s/s CVP as a spare. I guess a paperweight is more appropriate. Good information - thanks.

Yes, the CVP (Credit Valley Propeller) was the OEM prop in 1998 for the Response.

When I heard of the "shredding blades" a couple of years ago, I instantly replaced with a 13 X 12 OJ XMP CNC prop. Bought via Skier-to-Skier (at the time for $300).

Not worth the risk.... besides, you'll love the smoothness of a CNC prop. Either OJ or ACME make great product.

The CNC props have larger blade area..... so they push more water. Hence, the flatter pitch.

See picture. OJ on the left..... the CVP stainless on the right.

Also, do yourself a favor.... buy the prop wrench kit.

post-114-1216694424_thumb.jpg

I had a stock prop on my 98 response that blew a whole blade when pulling away. It went into the hull and then shot out of the water at my brother(never seen anything like it !). I thought this was a 1 in a million occurrance but you have shown otherwise. I had to repair the gel coat We replaced with a stainless CNC prop , so smoothe and better hole shot !!. You must change your prop!.

Ours went in '02 at about 450 hours. It happened just as I hit it to pull my wife up on the stick. Check that your HDS isn't leaking the next time out. The vibration busted ours open and it was a "sinking" feeling when I felt water at my feet as I pulled around to pick up my wife after a ski run.

DSC01814.JPG

Edited by CTSunsetter

This can also happen to a CNC prop. Here is a picture of an OJ CNC prop that was on a MC X-Star, and apparently was the second one they had had this happen to.

IMG_1356.jpg

Welp...looks like it's time for me to put a new prop on my Echelon . That CVT is the same prop I've got...and I have 400 hours on it now.

Glad I caught this post. Thanks to all.

I have been stalling long enough, I just sent Eric @ Oj and email for a recommendation. Wasn't there some spreadsheet that people were adding their findings to, by boat and prop brand, pitch and cup?

Would I fill out the prop index.xls and send it or post it? I am a little confused.

Fill it in w/ your data and then attach it an repost it w/ the updated info, or just post your prop info and I'll add it.

Hey what is that... a deal on props...lol

Just picked up one from skidim, always a pleasure to deal with.

Do you think Malibu should do more to warn people, and new owners... or rather new old owners... I think they have some responsibility with this issue.. am I wrong?

Jeff

Do you think Malibu should do more to warn people, and new owners... or rather new old owners... I think they have some responsibility with this issue.. am I wrong?

Jeff

I was thinking the same thing. Tough call. On one hand it is not their prop - it is an OEM part. On the other hand, it is a part they specified for their boat. I would think at the very least they should have tried to notify owners with CVP props - I would not have expected any monetary reimbursement given the age of my boat. Just some kind of notice.

then they acknowledge an issue and can be held liable. Id say dealers should help put props on peoples boat - esspecially if the cvp was damaged; just replace them.

Ok, so I contacted Malibu, she pretty much said, ya well out of warranty by 5 years so take care..lol.. nice as the auto email says this and i will quote...

"At Malibu Boats, the ownership experience is as much of a priority for us as the technology-based engineering and impeccable craftsmanship that we pour into the boats. We over promise and over deliver before during and long after the sale.

"

funny thing is, I told her the same thing, her emailed said.... and I would guess that 5 years, is past the long after sale..lol. As it was defective... and not a cool thing, and luckly someone did not get hurt. I am shocked, that this happened, and cant help but wonder why they would not want to make this right, somehow, someway.

You know if you think about it, I only bought a used boat, but really if I and others like me, dont buy the used, well no one would buy the new, as they couldnt get rid of the old.. you know what I mean?????

Also emailed the dealer in my area, which is about 3 hours away, and they dont want to take any responsiblility as he mentioned they are only new dealers, so that was before their time... dont get that either, as you are or are not a dealer...hmmm..

Am I being a d*** about this? do tell me..... as I dont feel satisified with the prop company being closed and tons of people still using them, when you know they will spin off like they do...

Jeff

Anyone remember Firestone and the TIRE issue... with FORD,.

Seems to me, that Ford stepped up and took that by the horns, and lead change. Nice to see,

good work, even though I am a GM fan.

Your thoughts...