Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Blower Screech

tj_in_kc

So I run the blower on my V-Ride as expected, everytime before i turn the key.

This weekend started getting a horrible screeching noise when running the blower. This is a 2007 Malibu with 41 hours on it.

Didn't see anything in the manual about oiling this...

Anyone experienced this??

Is there a way to spray this with WD-40 or something?

Should i just take to dealer to get replaced???

Once you hear the screeching it is time to replace. You can pick them up for $30 and pretty easy to install yourself. Dealer may take care of it since the low hours but I called the dealer to ask the same question about WD40 and he said just replace it.

I just shoot WD40 from the bottom of blower up in to the blades then turn it on. Squeak goes away. Vride 2005 400hrs. I've done it 3 times and I use my blower all the time surfing still works fine. I think when it sits for a few weeks without use it tends to do this noise. Being in Florida we go all year long, so haven't had to spray it this year.

I once had to change my blower on my 99 Sportster (what a PITA to change on the Sportster...). The noise it made was more of an intermitent rattle or growling noise. It was one of the brushes on the motor that had un-glued and was loose in the socket. Motor worked fine, just very anoying. Cost me around 40$ and took me about 2 hours to change. Had to remove back seat (which holds in place with about 12 1/4inch bolts)...and to remove the back seat, I had to remove the side panels and the blower grill and the blower box... I also had to move the gas tank... I had fiberglass rashes from my fingers to my elbows... Mad.gif

I once had to change my blower on my 99 Sportster (what a PITA to change on the Sportster...). The noise it made was more of an intermitent rattle or growling noise. It was one of the brushes on the motor that had un-glued and was loose in the socket. Motor worked fine, just very anoying. Cost me around 40$ and took me about 2 hours to change. Had to remove back seat (which holds in place with about 12 1/4inch bolts)...and to remove the back seat, I had to remove the side panels and the blower grill and the blower box... I also had to move the gas tank... I had fiberglass rashes from my fingers to my elbows... Mad.gif
WOW! All that to get to a blower. Cry.gif I'm glad the Echelon put it on the backside of the engine above the tranny. Easy to reach under the engine hatch.

I think the later Sportster models weren't as bad because you could remove the back portion of the seat without any tools. Still a good job to change. That is the sort of work where you ask you dealer how much it costs to change a blower, he says 200+$ and you think he is screwing you because it just holds in place with 2 cable ties...

Ran into the same issue on my 08 Vride with 10 hours on it - it's pretty annoying when your sitting on the ramp and everyone is looking around to see what is making that horrible noise. Haven't spoken to the dealer about it yet... thanks for the WD-40 tip, I'll go that route if the dealer doesn't take care of it (and if I can find the fan).

Ran into the same issue on my 08 Vride with 10 hours on it - it's pretty annoying when your sitting on the ramp and everyone is looking around to see what is making that horrible noise. Haven't spoken to the dealer about it yet... thanks for the WD-40 tip, I'll go that route if the dealer doesn't take care of it (and if I can find the fan).
Port rear trunk. Take out the black engine compartment divider. It is the first vent closest to the port side. It is black, the hose is on the top and is connected to the vent. The black cylinderical object is the blower housing unit. I just take WD40 with red straw and point it up the bottom opening and go around the side of the housing then couple of shots right in the middle. Done, turn on blower to work it in and see if it needs more.
Port rear trunk. Take out the black engine compartment divider. It is the first vent closest to the port side. It is black, the hose is on the top and is connected to the vent. The black cylinderical object is the blower housing unit. I just take WD40 with red straw and point it up the bottom opening and go around the side of the housing then couple of shots right in the middle. Done, turn on blower to work it in and see if it needs more.

Thanks! I'll check it out

I'm feeling your pain. I just spent the weekend sanding the fiberglass pontoons on my houseboat and I've got fiberglass rashes all over my arms and neck. Man does it hurt! Expecially the one on the inside of my arm at the elbow. Kinda painful to bend my arm.

If it is defective and covered by the waranty, maybe you should have it replaced before putting any WD-40 in there. If it gives out after that it will not be covered nor will the labor, if you have it done.. just my .02$.