Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurf Tips and Technique

chrisallenhogs

So I've been surfing for a couple months now and am getting really good at carving or so I thought. I have been carving ropeless for a while now. This weekend I finally filled out full ballast and the wake was double the normal size. (2400lbs of ballast and 6 people) , I noticed I'm having trouble keeping my balance with the bigger wave. As I come off the wake I'm having a hard time holding the edge of the wake, My heels are coming up to try to keep the pressure. Any tips? Do I need more weight on the back foot?

stand with your weight a little more biased towards your toe side so you're not constantly having to push down with your toes to stay into the wave. You should be balanced so that you're comfortable flat footed without much effort. A bigger wave provides more push meaning you can be back a little farther and with your weight biased a bit to the wake-side of the board a little. Don't be afraid to use the rope while you're working on finding your new stance to use with the larger wake. It'll save you and the driver some pain.

stand with your weight a little more biased towards your toe side so you're not constantly having to push down with your toes to stay into the wave. You should be balanced so that you're comfortable flat footed without much effort. A bigger wave provides more push meaning you can be back a little farther and with your weight biased a bit to the wake-side of the board a little. Don't be afraid to use the rope while you're working on finding your new stance to use with the larger wake. It'll save you and the driver some pain.

Plus1.gif

I keep my toes as close to the surf edge as possible. I think I'll just have to adjust to the wake, the board wants to slide out from under me and then my head slams into the wave. It doesn't hurt thogh and thats why I love it. I hear everyone talk about pumping, I can ride a wave for a long time but not sure what pumping is, any description for this?

I keep my toes as close to the surf edge as possible. I think I'll just have to adjust to the wake, the board wants to slide out from under me and then my head slams into the wave. It doesn't hurt thogh and thats why I love it. I hear everyone talk about pumping, I can ride a wave for a long time but not sure what pumping is, any description for this?

It is kind of like tapping your foot. Or even better description is like when you bounce your foot under a table when you sit on a chair. Rhythem and timing are important it is quite subtle. You don't need to make major movements. It is usually your front foot that does the pumping. If you use VectorII or Scimitar Future fins you can generate forward speed by carving. With these fins carving works much better than pumping the board, but I still do pump the board sometimes for that little extra boost. I found riding taller wakes ,it is easier to center my rear foot on the board and put it by the back foot brace, if your traction has one, then place my front foot more towards the wake side. This set up allows you to use your heel on your back foot to stop the board from slipping out from under you when your coming down the taller and more vertical wakes. Front foot for keeping the edge in the wake and to pick up speed by pumping. Rear foot balance the board and steer(carve). It does require more balance and faster reflexes on a skim style board, but a surf style will give you control to let you do bigger and more pronounced moves (carves).
  • 1 month later...

It is kind of like tapping your foot. Or even better description is like when you bounce your foot under a table when you sit on a chair. Rhythem and timing are important it is quite subtle. You don't need to make major movements. It is usually your front foot that does the pumping. If you use VectorII or Scimitar Future fins you can generate forward speed by carving. With these fins carving works much better than pumping the board, but I still do pump the board sometimes for that little extra boost. I found riding taller wakes ,it is easier to center my rear foot on the board and put it by the back foot brace, if your traction has one, then place my front foot more towards the wake side. This set up allows you to use your heel on your back foot to stop the board from slipping out from under you when your coming down the taller and more vertical wakes. Front foot for keeping the edge in the wake and to pick up speed by pumping. Rear foot balance the board and steer(carve). It does require more balance and faster reflexes on a skim style board, but a surf style will give you control to let you do bigger and more pronounced moves (carves).

Hey,

This is a little off topic but I have a 2006 malibu vlx with the stock ballast. We are just starting to get into wakesurfing but we don't really know how to get the wake to be tall and clean. We tried it this past weekend and filled up the front, middle, and port ballast and then had 6 guys go to the left side. The wedge was down and we were cruising at about 10 mph. The wave turns out to be just like a white water head. Its clean for 2 feet up and then curls and gets flat at the top and that always catches on my shins and slows me down. Any tips or pointers on how to clean up the wake?

ya i got the same question i have a 07 silver edition vlx with the 4 ballasts and power wedge yadda yadda, whats the best setup stock for surfing, ive found 10.6ish to be about the best speed so far and ive always filled the middle ballast and the rear one side that the surfer is on and tried half full to empty on the front ballast, ive played with the wedge but it seems to through too much spray up and screws the nice clean wave,,,,really apreciate the help

darren