Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boats that only go straight

Hi Guys,

Ive just got my boat out for the season and all was working fine last year but now i cant budge the wheel to steer.

I have detached the cable from the rudder and the rudder moves fine so its something stopping the bar bit at the end of the cable from moving. Ive tried cans of penetrating oil etc to no avail.

Anyone got any ideas whats up?

I really wish i had tested this before i launched the boat and had to get back to the dock with a paddle shoved thru the swim platform to steer :blush:

Cheers

I JUST HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY '00 SUNSETTER. A NEW STEERING CABLE WILL DO THE TRICK. ABOUT $250.00 IF YOU ORDER IT FROM A SHOP BUT IF GET THE PART # OFF OF YOUR EXISTING YOU CAN FIND IT CHEAPER ON THE NET. CHECK SKIDIM.COM. IF YOU NEED DIRECTIONS ON HOW TO DO IT LET ME KNOW.

Cheers guys,

I managed to get the old cable out and using 2 vices and a lot of leverage freed up the old one but i think a new cable is really in order....findin one in the UK however is a bit more of a task.

What i have realised though is getting the cable out took a few seconds but getting it back in seems mission impossible... Anyone have any good instructions as to how to do that?

Im wishing i had a guide wire to follow now Cry.gif

If this has already been covered before just a link to the tips would be a great help.

Thanks everyone.

A

You pulled the old one out without pulling a rope through! Have fun getting that back in.

Hit the search button in the top right of your screen and type in steering cable and you'll find more threads than you can shake a stick at.