Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

06 monsoon running rough will not start some times

Okanagan skier

I have an 06 response with the monsoon engine. It's been running fine until the other day. out on the lake and it decides that is not going to start no matter how long i crank it over for or how many times i try. an hour latter it starts and runs fine. I am thinking that there must be a fuel filter some where and it is just about totally plugged. my old boat had an external filter and I used to change it every year. Some times it would be very plugged up. Ilooked for a filter canister but there isn't one. so i am thinking that the filter is inside the fuel tank and is part of the fuel pump like the new cars. am i correct and if so how is it to remove the pump and clean the filter or do you replace the filter? Has any one else had problems with plugged fuel filters.

Edited by Okanagan skier
I have an o6 response with the monsoon engine. It has been running fine until the other day. out on the lake and it decides that is not going to start no matter how long i crank it over or how many time i try. an hour latter it starts and runs fine. i am thinking that there must be a fuel filter some where and it is just about totally plugged. i looked for a filter canister but there isn't one. so i am thinking that the filter is inside the fuel tank and is part of the fuel pump like the new cars. am i correct and if so how is it to remove the pump and clean the filter or do you replace the filter?

Have you ruled out your safety lanyard? It's been a big problem on the 06' boats.

no what's up with the safety lanyard. i assumed that the safety lanyard would disable the starter if it was disconnected, and the boat cranks over fine, just doesn't want to start. When it does start it runs fine.

Edited by Okanagan skier
no what's up with the safety lanyard. i assumed that the safety lanyard would disable the starter if it was disconnected, and the boat cranks over fine, just doesn't want to start. When it does start it runs fine.

The safety lanyard will let the engine turnover, but it will not allow it to start. I had the same problem about a month or two ago. Pulled out and re-connected the lanyard and it started with no problem. When you turn the key on, do the guages activiate? If I remeber correctly, all of my guages were dead. Once I re-connected the lanyard they were all working again and the boat started right up.

Was it hot proir to shutting down and trying to restart? If it was, look into vapor lock threads. That was my problem earlier this year.

You had vapor lock issues? What's the deal with that I've never had that issue with mine. What did you do to fix it?

Was it hot proir to shutting down and trying to restart? If it was, look into vapor lock threads. That was my problem earlier this year.

You had vapor lock issues? What's the deal with that I've never had that issue with mine. What did you do to fix it?

On hot days, I now run my blower after shutting down to remove some of the hot air from engine compartment. Has not happened again.