Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New to me '95 Sunsetter

scout1ton

Hey guys and gals, just been lurking for a couple hours and sniffing around. Read a post about blower usage and something was mentioned about non-marine style alternator maybe causing explosion. Well I just upgraded from '82 Nautique to a 95 Sunsetter and the previous owner installed an automotive type starter on the boat and I was wondering if this could cause problem such as non marine alternator? Thanks for the help and this site looks to be very informative, well organized and full of good people. Don't see many old Bu's in Oklahoma.

Hey guys and gals, just been lurking for a couple hours and sniffing around. Read a post about blower usage and something was mentioned about non-marine style alternator maybe causing explosion. Well I just upgraded from '82 Nautique to a 95 Sunsetter and the previous owner installed an automotive type starter on the boat and I was wondering if this could cause problem such as non marine alternator? Thanks for the help and this site looks to be very informative, well organized and full of good people. Don't see many old Bu's in Oklahoma.

Absolutely they could!!!!

Marine blowers, starters, and alternators are constructed in a way that any sparks from the brushes or contacts are not exposed to any fumes in the bilge. I would replace them both ASAP. I just replaced my starter, got it on ebay for a fair price. ~$75 with shipping. Alt's are more $$.

put one of these in your boat ASAP.

<a href="http://www.db-starter-alternator.com/Items...0" target="_blank">http://www.db-starter-alternator.com/Items...0 10SI-MARINE</a>

run a new 4awg wire to your starter and you will be good to go. I bought the powdercoated version of this alt. after frying mine and pulled out an automotive starter that I did not know was in there.

edit: just saw that you said starter, the site I linked has marine starters as well but I don't know which one it would need.

The link is not working for me. It is only the starter that is not marine grade. Thanks for the re-assurance of needing to replace. I will look around and find the best deal unless you all know of the best places to look. thanks. B

I am not sure about their prices on starters but they came highly recommended for alternators from another website and at a very good price.

fixed the link up there.

Hey thanks for the info, and I would like to ask another nebie Bu owner question. There is no load limit rating plate in the boat. Was wondering why and what the rating was? Thanks in advance.

I found the ratings in DIY section.

Edited by scout1ton

We had a '95 sunsetter until a few years ago and I remember looking for the load limit plate and not finding it. Then in a fall cleaning I found it accidentally but I honestly can't tell you where it is as I just don't remember. We loaded that thing up though, 4 -5 people, 1500lbs of water ballast, it always did great.

In the specs sheet the crew has in the DIY section says that load limit is 10 persons. Can anyone verify that and how do you prove that to a lake patrol if your ever pulled over.

Edited by scout1ton
We had a '95 sunsetter until a few years ago and I remember looking for the load limit plate and not finding it. Then in a fall cleaning I found it accidentally but I honestly can't tell you where it is as I just don't remember. We loaded that thing up though, 4 -5 people, 1500lbs of water ballast, it always did great.

You know, I have been all over my '95 and I have not seen mine... We never push the load anyway.