Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pulled callouses

smooth as glass

Any preferred treatment for torn callouses? Never saw anyone address this here. Do you trim off the callous? Any expert advice? :(

I trim them and then put liquid vitamin E on them at night. Good as new in a couple of days. Its a trick I learned in athletics in college.

I trim them and then put liquid vitamin E on them at night. Good as new in a couple of days. Its a trick I learned in athletics in college.

Where do you buy liquid vitamin E. I have a hole in my hand right now.

Funny that someone posted this today, I was going to ask the same thing. Got a massive tearn on my left hand today. Will have to try and find some liquid vit E and test it out.

If you cant find the liquid in a bottle, buy the caps and cut them open or poke a hole, they are soft.

Never heard that, but makes sense, thanks NWZ....... FWIW for you slalom junkies take off your gloves between sets. Its the wet callouses that 'll tear quickest, especially in warm water. Shaving or sandpapering is best prevention. My parrtners learned that today.

Do you all wear glove liners? 10 years ago or so I started wearing Underwear brand kevlar glove liners and they help a ton.

Where do you get those?

Yes, I wear those and you are right they make a big difference. I bought mine years ago and not sure where you find them today. Probably a quick google search would find them. If I recall they are only $10 or $12.

For a quick fix, you can use New Skin, to help coat the torn area where the callous was. Be aware that it STINGS bad (I need a bigger font).

For a quick glove liner... tape your hands when you'll be skiing a lot (like a ski school). Run a strip of duct tape - torn in thirds lengthwise - from each fingernail to your wrist. The wrap a whole piece of duct tape around your wrist.

For a quick fix, you can use New Skin, to help coat the torn area where the callous was. Be aware that it STINGS bad (I need a bigger font).

For a quick glove liner... tape your hands when you'll be skiing a lot (like a ski school). Run a strip of duct tape - torn in thirds lengthwise - from each fingernail to your wrist. The wrap a whole piece of duct tape around your wrist.

I went the duct tape route this morning and survived my set. I am still skiing like crap though.

I was wearing glove liners and I always remove my gloves between sets.

Another vote for the glove liners here. I'll also throw in my unofficial endorsement of the HO Clutch gloves. They help a ton, especially for us bigger guys. They're grippy but not annoying like the Clinchers.

I've gone the new skin route before. It hurts and it doesn't seem to help a ton. I agree that filing down the callouses when they get too thick is a good idea.

The nexcare stuff I mentioned early is much better than nuskin. It's tougher yet still very thin. I've also used it some times as a preventative maintenance when I get an edge that looks like it might pull.

re: liners, I used them w/ Masterline kevlar gloves for several years, but found that for *me* that combo made my callouses much worse. I got ride of the liners and switched to HO Icons (which I believe is basically now the 41 tails?) and my hand problems were dramatically reduced even though I skied over 100 days last season. YMMV - I think a lot of it is how the gloves fit an individual's hands and if/where the gloves bunch up. The extra thickness of the liners contributed to hand fatigue and I gripped the handle tighter, causing more tears.

Like others, I have a nail file that sits in the suburban and gets used frequently :)

i didn't like the kevlar liners; too thick.

have you seen the mechanics gloves at the auto parts stores?

pretty thin nylon gloves with grippy rubber palms and fingers.

spin a pair inside out so the grippy rubber lays against your palms.

you don't want the glove to wander against your palms.

let the fabric move against the fabric (glove v glove).

i ski 3 sets a day 6 days a week.

a little sandpaper once a week to control the build up and you are ready to grip n rip.

Thats a lota skiing t, and gas. Are you teaching or what? Great idea on gloves I'm gonna give that one a go,thanks.

I ordered some smaller gloves and a new handle. Based on some other feedback I went bigger with the handle. I tend to hold in the palm of my right hand and I have read some stuff that says bigger helps. If it doesn't I will look to trade with someone who has a smaller handle they don't like. I am off the water until next Monday due to an extended business trip so I should have some time to recover.

I ordered some smaller gloves and a new handle. Based on some other feedback I went bigger with the handle. I tend to hold in the palm of my right hand and I have read some stuff that says bigger helps. If it doesn't I will look to trade with someone who has a smaller handle they don't like. I am off the water until next Monday due to an extended business trip so I should have some time to recover.

I think you're on the right track. For us bigger guys, especially palm grippers, a bigger handle makes sense. Distribute that load over a larger contact patch and it should do less damage IMO.

You should be able to get it at any drug store. I buy mine at Longs, though I'm sure Target, Walgreens, Wal-Mart, etc. would all have it too. Longs sell it in two IU thinknesses. You want to get the one that is thicker (the larger number). It is in the same section as the skin care products.