Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat pulls

Hi feelow Malibu lovers,

Got my rebuilt 93 Sunsetter in the water over the 4th of July for the 1st time and loved it in many ways!

Since I am a 1st time inboard owner (had a few outboards) I have questions about the steering or I'm not sure. I need your experience and help.

Details, 93 Sunsetter, 260hp blue water ski, 1" prop shaft left hand prop 13x13 OJ .

First,

When I pull the boat out of gear (after hooking up my skier and waiting to take out and hit it) the boat veers left inevitably. Coming into dock or trailer, as soon as it comes out of gear, it goes left.

Is this true for all inboards or just left hand prop? What do you do? Can this be adjusted?

Second,

When loading on the trailer, do you typically have to powerload? I have an Eagle trailer specifically built for this boat, new bunks etc...I had to load every day on because of a drive shaft packing leak so, I got a little practice but, what I found is that to get the nose to the proper place on the front guide, I had to power the baot into the trailer. Is this normal?

Thanks,

Ken

PS< anyone know of anyone in the CHicago area that I can ski with, I am still the only boat driver in my family (was going to teach my 16 y/o daughter but she broke her ankle) and after going skiing in Fairview, Or about 6 weeks ago, I haven't been able to ski Cry.gif

Frustrated.gif

Hi feelow Malibu lovers,

Got my rebuilt 93 Sunsetter in the water over the 4th of July for the 1st time and loved it in many ways!

Since I am a 1st time inboard owner (had a few outboards) I have questions about the steering or I'm not sure. I need your experience and help.

Details, 93 Sunsetter, 260hp blue water ski, 1" prop shaft left hand prop 13x13 OJ .

First,

When I pull the boat out of gear (after hooking up my skier and waiting to take out and hit it) the boat veers left inevitably. Coming into dock or trailer, as soon as it comes out of gear, it goes left.

Is this true for all inboards or just left hand prop? What do you do? Can this be adjusted?

Second,

When loading on the trailer, do you typically have to powerload? I have an Eagle trailer specifically built for this boat, new bunks etc...I had to load every day on because of a drive shaft packing leak so, I got a little practice but, what I found is that to get the nose to the proper place on the front guide, I had to power the baot into the trailer. Is this normal?

Thanks,

Ken

PS< anyone know of anyone in the CHicago area that I can ski with, I am still the only boat driver in my family (was going to teach my 16 y/o daughter but she broke her ankle) and after going skiing in Fairview, Or about 6 weeks ago, I haven't been able to ski Cry.gif

Hi Ken,

I'm new to inboards this summer as well, and also got a Sunsetter. It's an '86, but I believe we have the same hull. My experience is the same as yours as far as needing to powerload to get in the right spot on the frount guide, so I think it is pretty normal. Same with the pulling to the left. For me, it is something that I just learned to compinsate for, though I'm not that great at it yet. Frustrated.gif Hope this makes you feel better.

Steve

Frustrated.gif
Hi feelow Malibu lovers,

First,

Second,

Thanks,

Ken

Hi Ken,

I'm new to inboards this summer as well, and also got a Sunsetter. It's an '86, but I believe we have the same hull. My experience is the same as yours as far as needing to powerload to get in the right spot on the frount guide, so I think it is pretty normal. Same with the pulling to the left. For me, it is something that I just learned to compinsate for, though I'm not that great at it yet. Frustrated.gif Hope this makes you feel better.

Steve

Hey guys, welcome to the world of inboards. Everything you describe is normal. Just take some practice.

Ken, Don't let the broken ankle stop your daughter from driving, its not a car she does not need her feet to drive. Whistling.gif

My daughter is one of my favorite drivers.

Ken,

Where do you get out to ski?

I'm in Plainfield.

Steve

Steve,

I used to go out to Morris and the Illinois river often, also Cedar Lake in Indiana.

First trip with this boat was Cedar Lake on a Saturday (less then fun) and then took it up to Wisconsin where it is now getting some warranty work done on the gel work I had done.

Where do you head?

Thanks,

Ken