Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Grease the rudder stuffing box?

Is there a grease fitting on the rudder stuffing box?

If so, should I grease it and how often?

Is it ok to use trailer bearing grease for that and how much grease should I apply?

Is there a grease fitting on the rudder stuffing box?

Yes.gif Two of them. One high, one low.

If so, should I grease it and how often?

I hit mine with a couple shots of grease each spring when I do the tune-up.

Is it ok to use trailer bearing grease for that and how much grease should I apply?

Yes, use water-proof trailer bearing grease. It shouldn't take more than a squeeze or two before it's oozing out the top or bottom. I like to have someone rotating the steering wheel back and forth while I pump the grease in so that it gets good distribution on the rudder shaft.

Thumbup.gif

don't get too carried away or you can pop the seal out and turn it into a big job.
Or at the very least, make the steering too tight.
I like to have someone rotating back and forth while I pump so that it gets good on the shaft.

Thumbup.gif

Easy there, Michael. This is a family forum. Tease2.gif

Ok, I'll just wait for you to say something Stoopid® on your own. Shouldn't be long now. . .

Jack, you are so smart and such a good skier... :unsure:

You were right it didn't take long for me to say something Stoopid® and utterly ridiculous that no one will possibly believe.

ROFL.gif