Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Slalom ski slipout

White Lightning

Hi all,

Here is a question for all the skiers out there. I suffered a brutal wipeout which resulted in a torn pectoral muscle which has put me in the drivers seat for the rest of the season. I have been skiing for about 30 years and have never experienced a wipeout like this. As I was cutting right arm fully extended and turning hard my ski just slipped out from under me my extended arm hit the water first which resulted in my arm being torn backwards. It felt like someone pulling the rug out. I have only had this ski about two years it is an HO Vengeance and was just getting comfortable on it. Has anyone out there experienced this and if so does it have anything to do with ski setup? Just another note it was a little rough and I thought maybe when I cranked over the fin came out of the water. I really don't know and am still confused about it. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks All W.L.

Sorry to hear about the injury.

The Vengeance is usually a pretty predictable ski. I've been on one (69") for the last 3 years and have only blown-out once - causing a nice cartwheel and much concern from the boat, but no injuries.

It's hard to know if it is setup related. What is your currently setup? Binding location, fin numbers, ski size, etc.

It could be related to ski setup and/or body position, particularly in rougher water. Causes could be if your bindings are too far forward with too much weight on front foot and too little depth/length on the fin.

Could also have been a fish/debris strike.

GT - opinions?

I also ski the Vengence and I have noticed on rougher water it does tend to skip out on the turn. I love the ski but it sure seems to skip a lot with the slightest rollers. It could also be my setup but I have skied a lot of different skis and never had this issue. Good luck with the injury. I tore a disk in my back doing some barefoot wake to wake 1 foot slalom passes and that is why I am skiing more (Basically because the doctor told me I could not foot for a few months) but he never said anything about skiing.

Best numbers I have for a 69" Vengeance are: (Second hand from a Matt Rini site 2 years ago).

Bindings - Animal/Venom - Center hole (or one forward depending on style).

DFT = .900

Depth = 2.535

Length = 6.870

Wing = 8 Deg UD

I'm running pretty close to those numbers (without the wing) and it seems to work pretty well for me, but haven't skied the course this year. :(

Other sized skis were similar, but the numbers were adjusted slightly. Also IIRC these numbers are pretty close to CDX settings, so you may be able to extrapolate from there - if you can find them.

Edited by wienrdog
Sorry to hear about the injury.

The Vengeance is usually a pretty predictable ski. I've been on one (69") for the last 3 years and have only blown-out once - causing a nice cartwheel and much concern from the boat, but no injuries.

It's hard to know if it is setup related. What is your currently setup? Binding location, fin numbers, ski size, etc.

It could be related to ski setup and/or body position, particularly in rougher water. Causes could be if your bindings are too far forward with too much weight on front foot and too little depth/length on the fin.

Could also have been a fish/debris strike.

GT - opinions?

Any pics? I would love to see that.

Clap.gif

If you've been on the ski two years and this is the first time blowing out the tail, I'd say it was a fluke. If it wasn't set up correctly you'd be blowing the tail semi-regularly. However, good idea to follow the advice and check the numbers above.

Good luck with the recovery. I'm currently sitting out due to a herniated disc.

Sorry to hear about your accident....this same exact thing happened to me once or twice this year. Luckily my body contorted in such a way that prevented any muscle tears. I really don't think this was due to any ski setup issue, but more of bad body position. My ski (2008 Monza), which Galaxy Toad gave me settings for, turns awesome on a consistent basis, but every once in a blue moon it will wash out, or grab hard, or do something else unpredictable. I figure I can't blame that on the ski setup, but rather my dumba$$ doing something wrong/stupid. I guess the moral of the story is, don't lose confidence in your stick....sounds like a freak accident....IMHO. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to all who responded. I have been on holidays and boy was it hard to watch everyone skiing on the glass. I will check my setup but reading what others have said about this ski I think it may have been the rough water. I will be ready for next season and I can at least surf now although I have to do a platform start. Have a great summer. W.L.