Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What speed are you running when wakeboarding?

bu2007vlx

Crew, what speed do you run when wakeboarding? I usually board at speeds 19-21mph with ballast no wedge yet. The wake is pretty big and I clear the wakes pretty easy. My rope length I think is 65ft (one segment in from the end). I boarded at speeds a little faster this week and the pop off the wake got pretty intense and threw me farther out past the wake then I'm use to. Is there I magic speed and rope length that anybody can suggest? USA.gif

Pretty tough to come up with a magic speed and rope length...

I run at 22mph, with less rope.

Factors will be:

boat hull (diamond vs. wake), DD vs. VD, ballast amount and placement, etc.

Ride at the speed and rope length that works for you. I ride with all ballast full and wedge at 70'-75' and 23mph.

Plus1.gif

Edited by Mike00LXI

My wife will pull me anywhere from 17-35 until she remebers to turn on the malibu cruise Mad.gif Otherwise 70-75(rope) and 23-24mph(boat speed) depending on how I feel that day.

I board at 23 mph with 75' of rope and all ballast full and wedge down. If there are a lot of people out on the boat that day I may bump the speed up to 24. It all depends on how your boat is weighted, what kind of boat you have, how many people are out, and what you're comfortable with. I determine my speed by looking at the wake and when I see it look right, I know that's the right speed to be at. Turns out that it's around 23-24 the way I'm loaded up and the length of rope I board with.

We have a variety of riders.

The more advanced are in the

'75 - '80 and 23.4-24.4 range with full ballast, extra ballast and no wedge

the middle ones are full ballast - no wedge

'70 - '75 at 22.4-23.8 range

the ones who are just learning to clear the wake and toeside jumping or just getting up get less to no ballast

all the way in to one out which I think is the '60 and '65 length with the handle

Speeds vary, new ones I pull just fast enough to not sink

up a few times and you're going faster but I don't care if the wake is clean

just starting one wake jumps 18+, wherever the wake is clean for it

Ride with what works for you and your boat. If going faster feels good to you, go for it but realize the wake is going to narrow a bit so you may need to go out one, which may be too far and more work to get over. The fun part about going slower is the wake gets really big sometimes! I feel like I'm sinking if I ride too slow.

Anywhere from 18-20mph to 22-23mph on a rope @ 55' to 70' no ballast to XXXL ballast, thats what I've seen on my boat with 60lbs 10 yr olds to 250lb 40 yr old riders, beginner to pretty good.

My wife will pull me anywhere from 17-35 until she remebers to turn on the malibu cruise Mad.gif Otherwise 70-75(rope) and 23-24mph(boat speed) depending on how I feel that day.

:lol: sounds famaliar

stock ballast, wedge deployed, 300 lb sack up front with 3-5 people. It's nice!!! I just like doing raileys or a variety of inverts with a really long rope. It feels like you are never gonna come down. Rocks! The only downside is that you have to work a little harder on your toeside because the wake is really wide at 80 feet.

a friend of mine that only comes back into this area once or twice a year rides ours at like '85 or longer at 25-26. He's nuts, but loves the hang time and size. I did a summer at high 24s and '80...I enjoy the little slower speeds now that my body takes longer to recover

When I told my wife about PerfectPass. It bacame a necessity for our "new" boat. She wouldn't settel for anything but perfectpass and a real good stero. What boat these items came with didn't matter.

stock ballast, wedge deployed, 300 lb sack up front with 3-5 people. It's nice!!! I just like doing raileys or a variety of inverts with a really long rope. It feels like you are never gonna come down. Rocks! The only downside is that you have to work a little harder on your toeside because the wake is really wide at 80 feet.

I have a couple guys that ride that long. I have a hard time switch at 80' so I just stay on the short line, kind of like the short bus I guess.

me too.. When I go in for half cab 180's at that length, I really have to ollie off the wake and transition the 180 late. Which is hard because your switch.

I tell you tho, my legs HURT the next day after I ride. I'm sure it's from riding at a longer length and flying a little higher. Crashing at 25 mph doesn't feel that great either.

But I love it! :)

For most we run 70' about 20MPH no wedge or ballast (me, wife, daughter, friends...)

My 17yo nephew, his buddies and a few of my freinds who are pretty good: 80', 22MPH, bow ballast, center ballast, power wedge at biggest wake setting, adults in the back seated to get clean wake on both side, and all the kids in the bow.

IMHO, I thnk the wedge at max position needs a bunch of nose weight to really work. We found not filling the rear ballast and putting more up front (extra passengers) seems to make the ramp angle and firmness better.