Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Suggestions

JHolmes

I love pulling my kids, and my twelve-year-old son has really started killing it! The attached pictures are weak, but I hope you get the idea. He has mastered W2W hs & ts, getting HUGE air. Suggestions and a little coaching help needed to keep him progressing, what should he try next. He has tried a 360, but the crashes are pretty ugly. We would appreciate any tips or suggestions.

post-5642-1216389081_thumb.jpg post-5642-1216389126_thumb.jpg

I love pulling my kids, and my twelve-year-old son has really started killing it! The attached pictures are weak, but I hope you get the idea. He has mastered W2W hs & ts, getting HUGE air. Suggestions and a little coaching help needed to keep him progressing, what should he try next. He has tried a 360, but the crashes are pretty ugly. We would appreciate any tips or suggestions.

Thinking back to when I was his age. I would say the next step is to get solid at 180's. This would solidify his comfotability with riding switch (or fakie). Having that added comfort and balance on the board will allow him to really understand how he has to "pop" of the wake before he starts any rotation (or further down the road maybe an invert). It appears that from looking at the photos that he is gettng the "pop" he needs when doing a straight air. It is another story when you are thiking about how you are going to rotate as you are about to "pop" off the wake. Most people will rotate before they are even off the wake and they do not get the "pop" they need to rotate comfortably in the air with plenty of time to get your balance and the board under you. I have always found it easiest to do front side (counter clockwise) rotations. Have him try front side rotations from both the hs and ts. Make sure he is keeping the rope at his waist so that he is balanced. Make sure he is thinking to "pop" first then rotate. From the ts he should be able to keep both hands on the rope during the rotation. From the hs he will have to release the left hand once he "pops" the wake. Once he releases the left hand the natural pull of the boat on the right hand will pull him into a rotation. Again, I have to say he always has to think "pop" first. Once he has those down another great step forward is the half cab from the hs. In other words he would be riding switch and cutting into the wake on his hs. Once he "pops" the wake he will rotate backside by releasing his right arm. Mastering these tricks will give him great balance over the board and really alow him to progress and understand what he needs to do to land that 360. The sky is the limit from there!

Thinking back to when I was his age. I would say the next step is to get solid at 180's. This would solidify his comfotability with riding switch (or fakie). Having that added comfort and balance on the board will allow him to really understand how he has to "pop" of the wake before he starts any rotation (or further down the road maybe an invert). It appears that from looking at the photos that he is gettng the "pop" he needs when doing a straight air. It is another story when you are thiking about how you are going to rotate as you are about to "pop" off the wake. Most people will rotate before they are even off the wake and they do not get the "pop" they need to rotate comfortably in the air with plenty of time to get your balance and the board under you. I have always found it easiest to do front side (counter clockwise) rotations. Have him try front side rotations from both the hs and ts. Make sure he is keeping the rope at his waist so that he is balanced. Make sure he is thinking to "pop" first then rotate. From the ts he should be able to keep both hands on the rope during the rotation. From the hs he will have to release the left hand once he "pops" the wake. Once he releases the left hand the natural pull of the boat on the right hand will pull him into a rotation. Again, I have to say he always has to think "pop" first. Once he has those down another great step forward is the half cab from the hs. In other words he would be riding switch and cutting into the wake on his hs. Once he "pops" the wake he will rotate backside by releasing his right arm. Mastering these tricks will give him great balance over the board and really alow him to progress and understand what he needs to do to land that 360. The sky is the limit from there!

Plus1.gif

I am no expert, but that is expert advice.

Some cool tricks, very easy to do, (and no clue what they are called):

1) Toe side (open stance) to the wake: pop as high as he can--> whip his extended legs out in front (like a sitting position when stretching to touch toes) and flash the bottom of the board to the spectaters in the boat.

2) Toe side to wake: pop up-->grab rear tip of board...almost the opposite direction from your first pic (but watch out for the ensuing forward rotation feeling, along with the potential for nose diving the board into the water)

3) Grab a rail

4) Make his first invert attempt a tantrum.

Have fun. He's looking good.

Buy a video, Shaun Murry used to have a good one, but I am guessing that your local Wakeboard shop should have a good instructional video

Some cool tricks, very easy to do, (and no clue what they are called):

1) Toe side (open stance) to the wake: pop as high as he can--> whip his extended legs out in front (like a sitting position when stretching to touch toes) and flash the bottom of the board to the spectaters in the boat.

2) Toe side to wake: pop up-->grab rear tip of board...almost the opposite direction from your first pic (but watch out for the ensuing forward rotation feeling, along with the potential for nose diving the board into the water)

3) Grab a rail

4) Make his first invert attempt a tantrum.

Have fun. He's looking good.

Sorry, I'm an idiot. Here's an example:

post-5643-1216395218_thumb.jpg

Good advice...learning to ride switch and getting solid with 180's helps sooooo much so down the road. Also, once he gets the 180's and switch riding down I would consider making him do it with no ballast.

Thanks everyone!!! Exactly what we needed. Excellent advice and great tips to keep him moving on. Is a 180 easier approaching the wake switch. My wakeboard terminology is weak, but wanting him to have success with an easy 180.

Getting him to do it with no ballast....there is no ballast!!!! Well maybe a little, we are running center ballast full and a little wedge. Gives a small wake nice lip for pop. We started riding behind my fathers center console Cajun, purchased a DD Centurion, no wake, but we didn't know, and now love our '07 VLX. The kids were actually very nervous when they first saw the wake. They were riding 15 mph and mush. Now were at 18.5 with a smooth wake that we attack!

Considering the ugly crashes that inevitably come from trying to push yourself to progress, I'd try getting him into a helmet if you haven't already.

Looks like he's doing awesome! It's all I can do to get my 10 year old to not crouch on the darn board.

Any suggestions for a youth helmet? We have a youth helment, but the straps almost rip his head of when the helmet catches the water. I wish I could remember the brand name. Specific wakeboard helmet, a little bulky with very cheesey thin straps.

Getting him to do it with no ballast....there is no ballast!!!! Well maybe a little, we are running center ballast full and a little wedge. Gives a small wake nice lip for pop. We started riding behind my fathers center console Cajun, purchased a DD Centurion, no wake, but we didn't know, and now love our '07 VLX. The kids were actually very nervous when they first saw the wake. They were riding 15 mph and mush. Now were at 18.5 with a smooth wake that we attack!

18.5 would explain why the wake looks pretty loaded...we tend to ride at 23-24(gps calibrated.) Your kid is gettin some ups for sure.

I would start with inside/out 180 switch and regular. Then progress to a w2w 180...

Pro-tec makes a decent helmet...mine is like new.

SHAUN MURRAY DETENTION I & II OVER 105 PLUS TRICKS EVERYTHING FROM BUTTERSLIDE 180'S TO 720 RALEYS GREAT VIDEO!!

Get him the Book DVD series and promptly remove the last 2 discs until he masters the basics. Learn switch everything as soon as he learns it regular. Get him to buy into the philosophy of the Book intructors which emphasize building from solid fundamentals that are accomplished step by step. Too many people try the tricks that look cool and get stuck taking hard fall after fall. Get him to learn the building blocks and he will progress faster with less injury potential.

I couldn't agree more with the helmet advice. Make it a boat rule that all boarders wear them. I have protecs in every size so there's never an excuse for my family or our guests.

Helmet???? I didn't see rails listed. Is it my imagination or parents in America throwing helmets on their children for about every activity including walking down the street?

The Book is the best thing out there

Edited by auto
Get him the Book DVD series and promptly remove the last 2 discs until he masters the basics. Learn switch everything as soon as he learns it regular. Get him to buy into the philosophy of the Book intructors which emphasize building from solid fundamentals that are accomplished step by step. Too many people try the tricks that look cool and get stuck taking hard fall after fall. Get him to learn the building blocks and he will progress faster with less injury potential.

100% agree, fundamentals build great skills. JUst going for big air, and new tricks won't build skills without solid basics

Plus1.gif

Thanks again everyone for the tips. We will throw the newly purchase "book" in the DVD this evening and try watching segments prior to outings.

We will be getting various size helments! Unsure about the kids and helments comment, if I can prevent injury by using a safety device why wouldn't I? Every had to drive your child to E.R.?

Great site! We love our Malibu! And thanks everyone for the very useful advice!!!

JHolmes

We will be getting various size helments! Unsure about the kids and helments comment, if I can prevent injury by using a safety device why wouldn't I? Every had to drive your child to E.R.?

Drove myself to the ER more than once Thumbup.gif

Never seen any conclusive evidence that helmets prevent injutry in wakeboarding where rails or jumps are not involved, in fact, several discussions on wakeworld where doctors/er personnel even chimed in on the against.

I just find it odd, there is a helmet for every activity nowadays. Roll how you want, just don't jump on the bandwagon becuase everyone else does.

BTW. Welcome. Biggrin.gif

Drove myself to the ER more than once Thumbup.gif

Never seen any conclusive evidence that helmets prevent injutry in wakeboarding where rails or jumps are not involved, in fact, several discussions on wakeworld where doctors/er personnel even chimed in on the against.

I just find it odd, there is a helmet for every activity nowadays. Roll how you want, just don't jump on the bandwagon becuase everyone else does.

BTW. Welcome. Biggrin.gif

I have also heard the argument that helmets can do more harm then good when it just comes to hitting the water (not some other object) I bought a helmet a few years ago so I wouldn't rupture my ear drum a 3rd time, but have seen many posts where the helmet actually aided in rupturing the ear drum so I don't wear mine anymore...plus I hated the way the helmet felt and looked. I guess if I actually tried (instead of just riding and doing my normal w2w jumps, I might wear one.

We did start leaving the helmet in the garage after a fall....the helmet caught the water and almost ripped his head off! The strap choked him. I did think that a helment with the ear flaps would prevent ear drum problems...

Thanks again all..

Thanks everyone!!! Exactly what we needed. Excellent advice and great tips to keep him moving on. Is a 180 easier approaching the wake switch. My wakeboard terminology is weak, but wanting him to have success with an easy 180.

Switch anything is much more difficult to learn. The most natural 180 for likely anybody to spin would be from the toe side and spin front side (i.e. spin the board counter clockwise). The reason it is natural is because your body is already torqued in a front side spin position when you are cutting in on your toe side so naturally your body will want to untorque and whalla you spun 180 nad your body is squared up for landing!