Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Well, I'm not a virgin anymore...

Helinut

Went out tonight to have a good time with the regulars and get some boarding in. Wind was blowing a bit and everyone in the boat seemed to be in a somber mood. Everyone took a ride, but I just didn't feel like riding for some reason.

Was pulling a guy back towards the dock to leave going through an area I had been in 2 weeks ago. Well... two weeks ago the water was probably 2 feet higher. Has anyone ever tried to explain what it sounds like when your boat goes over a rock ledge at 21 mph??? It hit twice before I knew what was happening. By the way, the sound it makes is one of Benjamin's leaving your pocket at a high rate of speed!

Fortunately there was another Malibu at a dock close by that saw what happened. They were able to tow us back to the dock 1.5 miles away.

Prop looks like anything but a prop, rudder shaft is bent back 20 degrees, and both cylinders for the power wedge broke at the mount point where the pins go through. Man this sux...

Anyways, what's a typical bill been for this type of damage? I'm hoping the drive shaft isn't bent, but I can't believe it would be perfectly straight after taking a hit like this. I noticed a little cracking of the gel coat where the mount is holding the shaft.

I'll get some pictures tomorrow before I take it down to the dealer. Hopefully he isn't too busy and can get me back on the river soon. I'm also hoping to not have to use the insurance to cover it, and with a $1,000 deductible I might be ok there.

Thanks for listening to me cry... it'll all be better soon.

Went out tonight to have a good time with the regulars and get some boarding in. Wind was blowing a bit and everyone in the boat seemed to be in a somber mood. Everyone took a ride, but I just didn't feel like riding for some reason.

Was pulling a guy back towards the dock to leave going through an area I had been in 2 weeks ago. Well... two weeks ago the water was probably 2 feet higher. Has anyone ever tried to explain what it sounds like when your boat goes over a rock ledge at 21 mph??? It hit twice before I knew what was happening. By the way, the sound it makes is one of Benjamin's leaving your pocket at a high rate of speed!

Fortunately there was another Malibu at a dock close by that saw what happened. They were able to tow us back to the dock 1.5 miles away.

Prop looks like anything but a prop, rudder shaft is bent back 20 degrees, and both cylinders for the power wedge broke at the mount point where the pins go through. Man this sux...

Anyways, what's a typical bill been for this type of damage? I'm hoping the drive shaft isn't bent, but I can't believe it would be perfectly straight after taking a hit like this. I noticed a little cracking of the gel coat where the mount is holding the shaft.

I'll get some pictures tomorrow before I take it down to the dealer. Hopefully he isn't too busy and can get me back on the river soon. I'm also hoping to not have to use the insurance to cover it, and with a $1,000 deductible I might be ok there.

damn that sucks

I was mad for getting a ticket last week for skiing in a private cove

be in prosser this Monday going early let me know what happens

make sure you check the tranny alignment also

may be time for the floating wedge

Edited by my malibu

Sucks dude, hope you have a better day soon.

Will insurance not cover this kind of damage?

Edited by stonelx

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you might as well kiss that $1000 good-bye and call your agent. I hit a log (softer target than a rock ridge) at 12-15 mph (slower speed) two weeks ago. I hoped that we did little more than ding the prop. Turns out the prop was barely damaged (only one blade was bent) but the impact to the prop bent the shaft, bent the strut, hammered the cutlass bearing and damaged the gelcoat surrounding the strut. The log also tore the front tracking fin right off the hull, damaging the gelcoat in the process. We didn't do any rudder damage, and don't have a wedge, so that wasn't a factor in our incident, either.

Total bill is a shade over $4,500, and we pick the boat up tomorrow. Good Luck.

damn that sucks

Craig,

That sucks!!! I bet I know what cove you are talking about. We have friends over there (picked them up for the fireworks on the 4th). Only the residents of the cove can ski in or out of that cove and they are supposted to be heading to/fro their dock. Hope the ticket didn't completely ruin the day. I spent the entire weekend painting and only went for one 10 minute surf.

Sorry to hear about that. I hate to say it but you are way over $1K for that kind of damage. I hope your guy can get you back on the water soon.

These stories make me appreciate my lake more as it is very hard to hit something in it.

Ouch!! That definitely sucks... A buddy of mine was cruising at the old lake he used to have a lake lot on when snap, boom, bang, pow! Thought it was the prop, turns out he had a cut in his gel coat from the driver's seat all the way back to the transom. To top that, they just changed insurance carriers and his wife forgot to pay the premium!! Just picked the boat up this week and the final bill was $4600.00 out of pocket.. Yuk.gif

Ouch! I hate to say it, but I think it will be more that 1000 to fix. A new prop will run you around 500 alone. Hope you can get it fixed and back on the water quickly.

I had a similar, but much less expensive episode last week. We were at a landing we had been to several times this year, noticed the water had dropped a bit since the week before, but it still didn't look too bad. Backed in, boat was floating off the trailer, started the motor, backed up about 5 ft and then bam hit something. Imediately turned off the motor. The water level went from about 5 feet at the end of the dock to about 12" a few feet beyond the dock. All the boats power loading onto their trailers had created a gravel pile. Luckily we were going slow enough, that running into the gravel wall just damaged the prop and not the shaft or anything.

Sounds like your in for a new strut, rudder, shaft, prop, and power wedge. The cost of the parts alone will be well in excess of $1k.

Hopefully you don't have any serious gelcoat damage.

-Chris

Yeah, I knew it's wishfull thinking that it would be less than $1k but I needed something to cheer me up yesterday. After sleeping on it I'm doing better. I'll get some pics though cause it's pretty cool to see that mess in a sick sort of way!

Yes, definitely your tranny alignment. (I'm sure the shop will check that anyway).

When i hit a submerged log a few years back:

1) Ripped the shaft out of the tranny (thank goodness for sheer keys)

2) threw the entire prop/shaft assy. into the rudder (new rudder)

3) Imbedded the prop into the bottom of the boat (glass work and gel coat)

4) Tranny out of alignment

5) yadda yadda yadda...

In the end, the bill was $8K (for an '83 MC worth $9K...heh) Thank goodness for insurance (and the wisdom for choosing a $500 deductable).

I still have the propshaft from that. I use it as a prybar, punch, and anything else it will work for back at the ranch.

If it's over $1000 (which it will be) it's a mute point. Just hope there's not too much structural damage to the hull.

Best wishes for you.

I hit a stump with my 04 x-star going about 18 mph.

Damage:

destroyed prop

destroyed rudder and housing

bent strut about 60 degrees

bent shaft (obviously)

destroyed transmission

ripped engine off of mounts

gelcoat damage

Total damage was $17k. Even with all that damage, it didn't sink.

Insurance covered it. I feel your pain but you might as well go ahead and call your agent.

I assume this was on the Columbia? Where? I was out last night with a guy that taught me more about areas to stay away from. It was good info. We were north of Columbia Point near the hanford 300 Area. I normally put in on the snake north of the Dam--less to worry about!!

This was near the Snyder boat launch just north of Howard Amon. I thought I had at least 100 yard further down river before there was a problem. Well I was wrong. I'll never go in that area again without the water being 3 feet higher.

I'm sure everyone is just waiting to see the pics, so here they are!

I think I can salvage that wedge and sell it on ebay :) Maybe the prop too!

DSC02595.jpg

DSC02594.jpg

DSC02603-1.jpg

DSC02602.jpg

I'm sure everyone is just waiting to see the pics, so here they are!

Doesn't look like there is much if any gel coat dammage. If that is the case at least you will get your boat back quicker. Gel coat work can really slow things down if the shop is busy. By the way, my vote is for about $5K worth of repairs (assuming no gel coat dammage). I ran over a log the summer before last. Did a similar number to my prop and shaft, but also did some gel coat dammage. I cant remember the exact total. Somwhere over $6k.

Good luck.

Yeah, there is some damage on the top right of the first photo. Looks like the prop threw a rock in to it. It isn't much though. There is a little nick in the following pic too in the top right next to the power wedge assembly. Hopefully it isn't much to fix.

DSC02601.jpg

damn that sucks

Craig,

That sucks!!! I bet I know what cove you are talking about. We have friends over there (picked them up for the fireworks on the 4th). Only the residents of the cove can ski in or out of that cove and they are supposted to be heading to/fro their dock. Hope the ticket didn't completely ruin the day. I spent the entire weekend painting and only went for one 10 minute surf.

just part of boating took a chance

we have friends that live in the cove

neighbor called us in oh well Dontknow.gif

Some here too but the photo didn't come out too well.

DSC02599.jpg

hey when i am down there you can use one of my spare props if you want

hopefully you get it repaired quickly and covered by insurance

maybe bring my boat down for a week if you will let me store it at you're house

while yours is getting repaired

then you can ride :unsure:

That's very generous of you. You're more than welcome to bring the boat down and keep it here if you like. There is a nice spot right in my driveway that's a bit bare right now :) It's going to be much more than a prop so don't worry about that. I'm hoping 2 to 3 weeks at the most, but we'll know more Monday.

That's very generous of you. You're more than welcome to bring the boat down and keep it here if you like. There is a nice spot right in my driveway that's a bit bare right now :) It's going to be much more than a prop so don't worry about that. I'm hoping 2 to 3 weeks at the most, but we'll know more Monday.

just might fill that space in your driveway but will have to be the week of the 28

my truck blew out a spark plug (ford thing)

so will not have my truck this week