Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

older boats

mnkymush

ive got a friend who's considering buying an older malibu 98-2002 for wakeboarding.

what were these hulls like? am i right in thinking wooden stringers were used if so are they a problem with rotting?

how do the older boats compare to later ones in terms of wake size+quality can a wedge be fitted to an older model+ would it work ok? last question.. is there any one model in the older boats gonna produce a better wake than others? thanks a lot for any input , much appreceated.

90 or 91 was the last year for wood. Anything later will be all glass. Wedge can be fitted to 95 & later hulls (I think)

Edited by beast

It's going to depend on which model they look at for boarding. As long as they get a wake hulled boat, they will be fine. The current V-Ride is the 00-04 wakesetter hull, so the hulls were good. Check the Hull specs to see which boats had the wake hull.

There was no wood in Malibu boats by 98. I think wood stringers went away somewhere between 92 & 94 depending on model.

98-00 Sunsetter/Wakesetter VLX

01 + Wakesetter VLX

I must be getting old. When I read the title, I was assuming late 80's or early 90's. An '02 is but a baby. Baby.gif

I must be getting old. When I read the title, I was assuming late 80's or early 90's. An '02 is but a baby. Baby.gif

No kidding...i had to re-read the OP. I have a '98 now. I thought older would be more like my '83 Stars/Stripes MC. Guess it's time for me to catch up and buy a newer boat (na, I'll pass on a boat payment) Biggrin.gif

Edited by gjsmith73

Get a pre 2001 Sunsetter VLX and you're essentially getting the same hull as the current V-ride and the Wakesetter V-drive up til '04 as was posted above. The Wedge should be adaptable to any of these boats, although Malibu didn't always offer it on the Wakesetter.

Get a pre 2001 Sunsetter VLX and you're essentially getting the same hull as the current V-ride and the Wakesetter V-drive up til '04 as was posted above. The Wedge should be adaptable to any of these boats, although Malibu didn't always offer it on the Wakesetter.

this is what we did, it took a while to find a older wake hull but we found one and we couldn't be happier with it especially after modifying it even with no wedge we have one of the better surf wakes I have seen on our lake and it cost a 1/4 of the other boats out there Yahoo.gif .

Jason

so is it down to 2 hulls the "wake" and the diamond" or are there variations of the hulls over the years how do tell for definite which is which when we start looking? what are the best +easiest ways of telling them apart? thanks guys for all the replies .. its all so informative im in the uk ..so there isnt so much choice around..

During those years - for the 20 -> 22 ft boats, it was either SV23 Wake or SV23 Diamond. For the larger boats, there were the V25 Diamond (23 Ft) & V27 Diamond (25 Ft).

Look here for pictures of Wake vs Diamond hull. The primary difference is in the outer 3" or so. Diamond turns back down at outer edge to lift the hull, wake does not.

A friend of mine has a 98 Response LX that I have driven and skied behind and it is still an excellent boat. I have only slalomed behind it but from behind I can't tell a difference between the 98 and my 2002 LX.