Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer stopping mechanisms

03ResponseLXI

Just wondering if anyone has added the mastercraft auto hookup mechanism to a malibu trailer. I just ruined a prop pulling the boat on the trailer too far at night and probably a deep trailer. Looking at options for modifying my Sweetwater Metal Products trailer to have the quick click option so I don't travel over the roller again.

That would be the Boat Buddy by Kodiak Trailers. I'm not sure it would prevent you from running over it as I've never run over my roller.... or my Boat Buddy (on my MC 205). I have hit it hard enough to bend the pin pretty badly though so maybe thats what would happen in your case.

A guy I ride with just had a VTX built with a custom Extreme trailer that has the Boat Buddy on it. The dealer (Bakes) forgot to install the longer bow ring on the boat though so he's having a bit of an issue getting the Buddy, winch & safety cable all on it at once. I helped him load the VTX last Sunday & the Buddy worked flawlessly. Once you learn how to use it right, their sweet.

Cabelas has them for about $90.

I'm considering the swap on my Extreme trailer myself. But I haven't been using busy boat ramps lately, which is where I find they do their job the best.... allowing you to grab your boat & get out quickly & efficiently. The looks we got from others on the ramp were always priceless.

Just wondering if anyone has added the mastercraft auto hookup mechanism to a malibu trailer. I just ruined a prop pulling the boat on the trailer too far at night and probably a deep trailer. Looking at options for modifying my Sweetwater Metal Products trailer to have the quick click option so I don't travel over the roller again.

It's not a Mastercraft thing. It's a boat buddy. I wont own a trailer without one. I've had one on all 3 of my Malibu's.

One thing to remember. After you have connected the winch and safety strap, pull the pin of the boat buddy, this will keep it from getting bent while traveling.