Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurf airs

smedman

We got a few fun shots last week working on getting the fins out of the water. Not going huge like James Walker (2ft), but also I'm 200lbs+ and we are on a puny 21ft Vride.

I'm getting anxious to upgrade to a bigger wake for sure!!

Any other 200lb+ guys catching a little air? Post up your pics!

P7091057-1.jpg

P7091054-1.jpg

P7091047-1.jpg

P7091048-1.jpg

Do you pop that like an ollie on a skateboard? I can get my board up out of the water a bit, but I don't think I've ever been completely airborne on it. It seems like I lose all my momentum when I try that... but I'm no spring chicken at 235 lbs...

As I dig up the wake to get the air it seems I get to a point where my weight shift back even though am leaning as far forward as possible. I think it is because I'm going straight up the ramp. Should I come in more sideways to get some air?

Chris

Do you need the big fins to get up in the air like that? Can i put fins like that on my 5'6 broadcast and go for some air? I really dont want to buy another board right now.

I've got a liquid force custom, It seems no one else are using these, should I get another board? I'm 5'9 165lbs, what would be a good board for me?

Do you pop that like an ollie on a skateboard? I can get my board up out of the water a bit, but I don't think I've ever been completely airborne on it. It seems like I lose all my momentum when I try that... but I'm no spring chicken at 235 lbs...

Yes - I would definitely compare it to a skate ollie -- kind of like popping off a little launch ramp.

I've got a liquid force custom, It seems no one else are using these, should I get another board? I'm 5'9 165lbs, what would be a good board for me?
I've tried that board and did not like it.

I'm 175 and my favorite is the phase 5 prop.

Also the Walker Project 5.0 is a super board - very fast and nimble twin fin.

As I dig up the wake to get the air it seems I get to a point where my weight shift back even though am leaning as far forward as possible. I think it is because I'm going straight up the ramp. Should I come in more sideways to get some air?

Chris

Hi Chris,

I like to fade back as far as I can without falling out the back to set up... Then start doing a couple of little pumps to get some good forward speed towards the boat. On your second or third pump, crouch a bit like you are getting ready for jumping the wake on a wakeboard (but not quite so much) and shift your weight a little bit towards your back foot to start heading up the ramp. When you get to the top (or just before) push down on your back foot while sucking your front leg/foot in like a skateboard ollie. Try to level the board out by pushing a little bit forward on your front foot while bringing up your back and prepare to land.

IMO - you want to have as much speed forward as you can while still in control, and then you will flow up the wake rather than cutting into it so much -- so if I understand correctly, I think your idea of coming in sideways is more along those lines...

Do you need the big fins to get up in the air like that? Can i put fins like that on my 5'6 broadcast and go for some air? I really dont want to buy another board right now.

txwjky,

i think the big fins help with getting the speed and drive down the line, although there are a few riders on skims that are getting big air like Drew Danelio. Hyperlite used to list a bunch of fin options on their website, but I can't find them there anymore. You might ask your dealer if they have some larger fins -- they should be pretty cheap to try out.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I like to fade back as far as I can without falling out the back to set up... Then start doing a couple of little pumps to get some good forward speed towards the boat. On your second or third pump, crouch a bit like you are getting ready for jumping the wake on a wakeboard (but not quite so much) and shift your weight a little bit towards your back foot to start heading up the ramp. When you get to the top (or just before) push down on your back foot while sucking your front leg/foot in like a skateboard ollie. Try to level the board out by pushing a little bit forward on your front foot while bringing up your back and prepare to land.

IMO - you want to have as much speed forward as you can while still in control, and then you will flow up the wake rather than cutting into it so much -- so if I understand correctly, I think your idea of coming in sideways is more along those lines...

A more gentle sweeping arc and less of an abrupt right (90 degree) angle. Hijack on. Smedman how long do you estimate your pocket to be on darkside from the the curl all the way up to the spot where the crest of the wake starts to angle down towards the swim platform. I don't measure from swim platform back to curl because the height of the wake right off the swim platform is negligable. I'm guessing on mine about 8-10 ft. at best. There is no room for error when throwing a 360 on a surf style board. Our lake is U shaped ,so there is not a lot of room to go straight. When we do, I noticed it takes I little while for the wake to clean up and lenghten. Wondering if I need a little tweaking or just more room to go straight.

A more gentle sweeping arc and less of an abrupt right (90 degree) angle. Hijack on. Smedman how long do you estimate your pocket to be on darkside from the the curl all the way up to the spot where the crest of the wake starts to angle down towards the swim platform. I don't measure from swim platform back to curl because the height of the wake right off the swim platform is negligable. I'm guessing on mine about 8-10 ft. at best. There is no room for error when throwing a 360 on a surf style board. Our lake is U shaped ,so there is not a lot of room to go straight. When we do, I noticed it takes I little while for the wake to clean up and lenghten. Wondering if I need a little tweaking or just more room to go straight.

Hey Surfn,

I think we typically range around 8-12ft depending on how we weigh the boat. I'll try to post up some pics later.

Definitely agree with you on the 360s. After we got our boat I was working on them months and months and landed maybe one or two... Then first time out on Donnieb's VLX I landed one like it was nothing. I think the longer pocket definitely helps you have room to recover for sure.

If we are going around a curve in our lake - turning towards the surf side of the boat cleans the wake up and lengthens it - opposite - no good.