Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What Tranny Fluid

I have a 1988 Skier. I am not in a position to look at the model numbers but thought I would ask. Did these models have the same trannys and what fluid should I use? I do know the motor is a 350 but not sure of the make till I get home tomorrow. Were the trannys and motors built by the same manufacture?

Once I find a manual it will help alot for maintanance and repair but for now I want to change the oils and run it this saturday. Can I use regular motor oil or do I need marine oil?

This boat has a pole for skiing. Can someone tell me what the clamp is for that is attatched to the first pole section? If someone has a pic or two of an older pole setup would be nice. I have never pulled a skier and my son wants to try it.

And for a really dumb question, why do I have two speedos? :unsure:

Thanks alot for your responces and I really like the forum. Troy.

I would bet money that you have a Merc (Mercruiser by Mercury marine) engine and a Borg warner trans. If you have the serial number off the engine you should be able to look that up and get all the specs you need. Most likely regular ATF fluid

2 speedo's are for redundancy. With the older style pickups they would clog easily. Then you would hopefully still have a good one left to pull accurate speeds.

The clamp was probably forgotten by the previous owner. It is to attach a barefoot boom. If you d'ont have the boom and cannot locate the previous owner to give it back to him, I might have a buyer depending on the model and if the price is right...

The second speedometer lets you know if one is clogged too...

Usually the type of oil is written on the dipstick? Did you check?

Now you got me courious. I dont nessisarily need the clamp? I have all three booms (well two that go on it) and the hull nose piece (to attatch to the front) but dont know what else I need to make it work. I dont want to screw it up.

I will look on the dipstick. Like i mentioned, I am a long ways from the boat right now as I work the oil field.

It seems like it is a mercruser but memory is bad. Id still like to see pics of this boom....

Depends on what specifically you have - we could be talking about 2 different things... Both attach to the pylon, have multiple pieces and attach to front of boat.

This is a Skylon/Fly High/Extended Pylon it fits over the pylon & lets you mount the rope higher for boarding, etc. largeimage-27601.jpg

This is a boom - It attaches to the pylon with a clamp and provides a stable handle for learning/instruction/barefooting.

largeimage1466.jpg

Edited by wienrdog

That helps alot. If my memory serves me, I couldnt see how the pole mounts to the pylon and may be missing a part. I get to go home tonight and will be working on the boat tomorrow. I'll get some pics of the boat. Thanks Troy.