Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

...another proud Dad moment

Faceplant409

So I tried to get Caitlin (5) and her pal Dakota (6) on a ski skimmer. (horrible experience, lots of tears- a mess)

So last weekend we went camping with some friends that have a 6 yr old that is in Caitlin's Kindergarten class. I think their Boy is fearless like his Dad...(not so much) Can't get his face wet! Even in the tub. :unsure:

The ski skimmer failed 2 weeks ago, so I try the knee board this weekend. BINGO! Had them lay on their bellies and we started out at idle speed. They both eventually got up to 5-7 mph. A couple of crashes but NO tears!!! Yahoo.gifClap.gifClap.gif

At first I had them on a surf rope to keep em close. But after I knew it would last more than a few seconds I put them on a wake rope 55' out. They loved it.

When asked which they liked better (tube or kneeboard the both replied kneeboard! Thumbup.gif

Next week: on their knees!!

Pat

FACEPLANT, what I did was start them off the back of the platform and ease the rope out. Let the boat start off and them let the skimmer out and feed the rope. My son started the skimmer when he was 2.5 yrs old. Hope that helps.

There is a little bit of a timing & communication needed between the driver & ski skimmer rope person to get a larger child out & behind the swell/hump behind the boat. Once they are out behind, the boat, the 6 or 7 yr olds were pretty comfortable between 12 & 15 MPH.

P1020290.JPGP1020295.JPG

Edit: add Pics

Edited by wienrdog

Thanks for the responses... Yes we tried the slip off the back and it worked, but getting over the swell was the tough part. She made it (barely) but was so scared she had to stop. I had seen someones video of a 3? yr old using that method. I showed her the vids and she was all for it but reality is another story...

Once she is more comfortable on a kneeboard, we'll try it again. I don't want to push. (too hard...)

Pat

Thanks for the responses... Yes we tried the slip off the back and it worked, but getting over the swell was the tough part. She made it (barely) but was so scared she had to stop. I had seen someones video of a 3? yr old using that method. I showed her the vids and she was all for it but reality is another story...

Once she is more comfortable on a kneeboard, we'll try it again. I don't want to push. (too hard...)

Pat

You can put them in a tube on their own to get them used to being on their own behind the boat.