Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gas Tank Size

Does anyone know how many gallons a 1999 SSLXi fuel tank will hold? I searched all throughout our owners manual and couldn't find any info? When we fill our tank up it tops off at just over 20 gallons when its on empty (or so the guage says). The only reason I ask, is tht 20 gallons seems to be pretty small. Thanks for your help!

Edited by jetskipro550

Thanks, thats what I had heard but, we just can't get our tank to fill up anywhere near that much. While filling it spits gas out the overflow vent even when we are not full...

Thanks, thats what I had heard but, we just can't get our tank to fill up anywhere near that much. While filling it spits gas out the overflow vent

Yea - but was it empty? Dontknow.gif

Edited by SacRiverRat
Thanks, thats what I had heard but, we just can't get our tank to fill up anywhere near that much. While filling it spits gas out the overflow vent

Empty according to the gas gauge, but if it is as accurate as the rest of the gauges then who knows how much gas we had Crazy.gif

Empty according to the gas gauge, but if it is as accurate as the rest of the gauges then who knows how much gas we had Crazy.gif

Ah - there in lies my point... maybe you had 15gal left...?!? Can you see the tank in your boat? (it is visable in mine, so I can actually see the gas in it)

I can see it if I lift up the fake floor in the trunk. But the tank is that faded oragne/yellow which makes it difficult to see. I will go check it out to see if I can tell the actual level.

Ah - there in lies my point... maybe you had 15gal left...?!? Can you see the tank in your boat? (it is visable in mine, so I can actually see the gas in it)

Check it, I've got a 41 gallon tank & it shows empty when I've still got 20 gallons. If it's coming out the vent though, I'd still get the LG. It was designed with that exact problem in mind.

Your gauge is wrong. When it says empty, you usually have about 20 gallons left. When my gauge reads Empty, it only takes 15 gallons to fill.

It has been a big issue with Malibu gas tank gauges for many years. I just replaced my BU gauge with a generic from Marine West. I think it is much better.

Read this string from another board. We are discussing it in detail.

http://www.wakesiderides.com/forums/index....topic=15820&hl=

Thanks for all your replies. I just checked it and it is for sure 35 gallons (says right on the tank) but I couldn't read how much was in the tank due to the color of the tank.

Put a flashlight up against the tank. You should be able to see a color difference at the level of the gas. As said before, Malibu gas gauges are about as bad as any out there. They just aren't anything close to accurate. Once I hit empty I have ~12 gals left....now if I only had an accurate burn rate....boy a flow meter sure would be handy. Biggrin.gif Winter project!! Biggrin.gif

Your gauge is wrong. When it says empty, you usually have about 20 gallons left. When my gauge reads Empty, it only takes 15 gallons to fill.

It has been a big issue with Malibu gas tank gauges for many years. I just replaced my BU gauge with a generic from Marine West. I think it is much better.

Read this string from another board. We are discussing it in detail.

http://www.wakesiderides.com/forums/index....topic=15820&hl=

I seam to have this same issue. Mad.gif

As Tracy said install the Lg50 and it will eliminate your vent issue. If you do install the Lg50 and your filling it up for the first time, Make sure to push the gas nozzle all the way in so the black ring or seal on the pump is covering your gas opening. :)

I usually only have a venting/splashing problems with the chevron nozzles that have the black ring/seal to prevent vapor/splashing). At stations without that extra sleeve, I've perfected my fillup speed/gurgle listening skills and usually avoid splashing.

the LG50's been on my to-do list, but low enough that I haven't quite gotten to it.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like this is only a problem with the lxi from what I have read. I have had this problem with my vlx ever since my dealers mechanic stepped on my sending unit with his steel toed boots and had to replace mine. Mad.gif Before that my gauge was perfect. Now its either full or empty.

I check my gas by pulling out the back seat and looking at the gas level in the tank, I have to rock the boat sometimes so that I can see movement to distinguish between the line where the gas is. It'a foolproof way to not run out of gas, but the people on the back seat complain alot. Dontknow.gif

Just figured out my problem. My gas tank is 7 1\2 inches deep and my fuel sender that the dealer replace is only 5 inches deep. I called Moeller Marine products and asked what type of sending unit should be in my tank and they said a 7 inch wema.

I ordered a 6 1/2 wema to replace it I hope that it works.

Edited by Mazeing5
  • 16 years later...

I have a 1999 Response LX. looking to know what the fuel tank capacity is so I know how much. Stabila to add for winterization. Previous posts did not provide a concrete answer.

Thanks,

Craig