Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

surfing a 21' diamond hull??

chadwick02

I feel like a putz asking this, it seems like everyday someone is asking how to weight their boat for surfing, and I always thought it was fairly simple (and it was for us last year) but this year, for what ever reason, I am having a horrid time getting a decent surf wake this year. My crew and I are getting pretty frustrated! Last year we had no problem going ropeless with 8 or 10 people in the boat and the wedge (no ballast).

You can see a picture of our wake from last year in this thread: http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....c=11914&hl=

I bought 2 – 400 pound v-drive sacks and 1- tube sack (for ski locker OR under seats) during the group buy. I was real excited to use the sacks in addition to a crew of 8 or 10 people, and now we can hardly go ropeless at all now. Any info and help people can give us would be much appreciated. Here is some info:

- Boat: 2002 21LSV DIAMOND

- Lake: small and shallow (10-15 feet)

- Board: Inland surfer Red Tide

- Riders: mostly bigger guys: 6' +/-, 210 pounds +/-. Had a few lighter riders try with no better successes.

- Manual flat wedge (up or down only)

- What we did last year that seemed to work well: Put everyone on the surf side (passenger side) (6-8 people). 2 or 3 in the bow, 2 on the surf locker, 4+ on the seats. The wedge.

- What we've tried this year with little success: Same people & set up as mentioned above in addition to:

A: 400lbs in surfside locker, 400lbs in bow surf side, 650 in ski locker

B) 400lbs in surfside locker, 400 ponds on surf side seat, 650 in locker

C) 400lbs in surfside locker, 400 pounds in bow surfside, 650 under seats surfside

We've tried all of thoes with the wedge and with out.

The wake is stinkin huge and it looks sweet with all that weight, but it is very close to the back of the boat and not very long. It actually helps to have a person or two sit on the off side But under all those scenarios getting in the sweet spot is virtually impossible (almost like it doesn't exist). It was better surfing without the ballast. So what are we doing wrong???

Wrong board?

Too shallow?

Wrong surf side??

Too much weight??

Wrong speed?? (10.5mph perfect pass GPS)

Wedge??

Thanks guys,

Chad

Edited by chadwick02
I feel like a putz asking this, it seems like everyday someone is asking how to weight their boat for surfing, and I always thought it was fairly simple (and it was for us last year) but this year, for what ever reason, I am having a horrid time getting a decent surf wake this year. My crew and I are getting pretty frustrated! Last year we had no problem going ropeless with 8 or 10 people in the boat and the wedge (no ballast).

You can see a picture of our wake from last year in this thread: <a href="http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....c=11914&hl=" target="_blank">http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....c=11914&hl=</a>

I bought 2 – 400 pound v-drive sacks and 1- tube sack (for ski locker OR under seats) during the group buy. I was real excited to use the sacks in addition to a crew of 8 or 10 people, and now we can hardly go ropeless at all now. Any info and help people can give us would be much appreciated. Here is some info:

- Boat: 2002 21LSV DIAMOND

- Lake: small and shallow (10-15 feet)

- Board: Inland surfer Red Tide

- Riders: mostly bigger guys: 6' +/-, 210 pounds +/-. Had a few lighter riders try with no better successes.

- Manual flat wedge (up or down only)

- What we did last year that seemed to work well: Put everyone on the surf side (passenger side) (6-8 people). 2 or 3 in the bow, 2 on the surf locker, 4+ on the seats. The wedge.

- What we've tried this year with little success: Same people & set up as mentioned above in addition to:

A: 400lbs in surfside locker, 400lbs in bow surf side, 650 in ski locker

B) 400lbs in surfside locker, 400 ponds on surf side seat, 650 in locker

C) 400lbs in surfside locker, 400 pounds in bow surfside, 650 under seats surfside

We've tried all of thoes with the wedge and with out.

The wake is stinkin huge and it looks sweet with all that weight, but it is very close to the back of the boat and not very long. It actually helps to have a person or two sit on the off side But under all those scenarios getting in the sweet spot is virtually impossible (almost like it doesn't exist). It was better surfing without the ballast. So what are we doing wrong???

Wrong board?

Too shallow?

Wrong surf side??

Too much weight??

Wrong speed?? (10.5mph perfect pass GPS)

Wedge??

Thanks guys,

Chad

Has your water level in your area gone down since last time you surfed. More weight requires deeper water. You can have diminishing returns with too much weight. In your boat 2000-2500lbs with wedge should be sufficient. Distribute 60% from driver to stern 40% drver to bow. Optimum usually 750 in rear locker no more, 500-750 on seat surfside, center 500-600, bow 500-750 depending on weight in back. More bow weight will shorten wake and lengthen the pocket, so will speed Faster boat speed = longer pocket.
Has your water level in your area gone down since last time you surfed. More weight requires deeper water. You can have diminishing returns with too much weight. In your boat 2000-2500lbs with wedge should be sufficient. Distribute 60% from driver to stern 40% drver to bow. Optimum usually 750 in rear locker no more, 500-750 on seat surfside, center 500-600, bow 500-750 depending on weight in back. More bow weight will shorten wake and lengthen the pocket, so will speed Faster boat speed = longer pocket.

I suspect that that's your problem. That & the diamond hull boats that I've surfed behind (albeit not that many) had a common attribute in that if you throw a lot of weight at it like you have, you end up with a wave that's very similar to what you describe. Have you tried re-distributing some of it forward? More weight forward tends to lengthen the wave, so that may help. But it's possible that you've just got too much.

Same hull, great wake here. Our water is deeper though. I'm never surfing in less than 20' of water. My setup.

600 lbs rear surf-side locker.

500ish lbs under the side seats (assuming LFF, never tried RFF)

500 lbs in the bow.

Wedge down.

Anywhere from 600-1200 lbs VAB distributed through the boat. I try to get 100-200 lbs VAB in the bow with the 500 lb sac.

Walker Project 5.0

Me - 6'5" 235 lbs.

RPM 2100-2300 RPM depending on crew weight. 17.5" 4 blade prop (stock on your boat).

Here's my dad learning LFF.

dadsurf.jpg

Here's me.

mesurf.jpg

Based on our wake, I would think option C of yours above would be the best. To get a longer pocket, put more weight in the bow. It will lengthen the sweet spot, but also make the wake a little shorter. If you have everyone sitting behind the windshield and in the back seats, you'll have a real short wave.

Here's another pic. My brother is about 6'4" and he's not even all the way down the wave in this pic.

udubballast_02.jpg

Edited by UWSkier

Looking forward to seeing lots of posts in this thread since I have the same boat. Picked up a CWB Ride last month and got hooked with only the wedge for ballast. Need to order some ballast this week so all advice is welcome!

I have the diamond hull, but I believe it is a newer version. We surf port with manual wedge, 750 mostly full + 400 half full in port V-drive locker, 370 bag as full as it can get under the port seats (probably only a little over 200 lbs) and a 400 port side in the bow. Normally there is only 1 or 2 people besides the driver and they sit port in the lounger area. We surf a Phase 5 Oogle and weigh 210-225 and have no problems at all. Starboard surfing requires much less weight.

I have the diamond hull, but I believe it is a newer version. We surf port with manual wedge, 750 mostly full + 400 half full in port V-drive locker, 370 bag as full as it can get under the port seats (probably only a little over 200 lbs) and a 400 port side in the bow. Normally there is only 1 or 2 people besides the driver and they sit port in the lounger area. We surf a Phase 5 Oogle and weigh 210-225 and have no problems at all. Starboard surfing requires much less weight.
Take the 400 (half full) put it on the lounge seat, take the 370 under the seat put it on the lounge seat fill them both full,and you'll probably at least double the size of your pocket (sweet spot). Your wake will be a little shorter, but you won't have the curl breaking on you and your board so close to the boat. A sloping ramp is always better than a vertical wall. Allows you to charge the wake and get air and leaves you plenty of room to land. Also larger recovery area from doing tricks. Though curls look cool, you can't ride in them for long. Curl=end of pocket(sweet spot).
Take the 400 (half full) put it on the lounge seat, take the 370 under the seat put it on the lounge seat fill them both full,and you'll probably at least double the size of your pocket (sweet spot). Your wake will be a little shorter, but you won't have the curl breaking on you and your board so close to the boat. A sloping ramp is always better than a vertical wall. Allows you to charge the wake and get air and leaves you plenty of room to land. Also larger recovery area from doing tricks. Though curls look cool, you can't ride in them for long. Curl=end of pocket(sweet spot).

Thumbup.gif

Wondering what size bags everyone is using in the bow of the boat? Is there a good size that will fit under the seat in the bow. I see fly high has a bow sac but it distributes weight across the whole bow instead of just the desired side.

Wondering what size bags everyone is using in the bow of the boat? Is there a good size that will fit under the seat in the bow. I see fly high has a bow sac but it distributes weight across the whole bow instead of just the desired side.
I use a Skylon 580lbs. tube sack. It's dimensions are 50"L X 20"W and is a tube shape. I like it because it fits from nose to backrest in bow section plus when you switch sides to surf it can be rolled to the other side. It sits on top of the seats, not much weight can fit under the seat unless you fill both sides which defeats the purpose of loading weight on one side(listing the boat). Edited by Surfin247