Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VLX2005 for things other than wakeboarding

premier

Hi all,

Can anybody share their experience with pulling tubes, kneeboards and skiers behind a VLX 2005. Is this wrong type of boat for this type of entertainment? I know there are other boats with different hull shapes but I really like the layout of this boat and am considering purchasing one soon.

Dave

It will have a larger wake than a dedicated ski boat for serious slalom skiers. For recreational skiers, 2 skis, and kneeboards, it will be great.

It will also tow tubes well, but many self respecting VLX drivers wouldn't consider it.

The boat is designed for primarily wake boarding and is one of the best at it, but it will do all the other things well too.

Good luck with your purchase & be sure to post pictures once you do. The people on this site are very good at helping you spend money - lots of it.

Thanks for that wienrdog.

Unfortunately I have a few rugrats that love tubes so they will be on the back the majority of the time. (I hope I don't kill the stereo type or shatter the dreams of wanna be's.)

The range of boats available on the second hand market is fairly limited where I am from. I have narrowed it down to a couple of brands with Malibu on top. The diamond hull seems the logical choice for our needs but I do like the layout of the VLX so appear to be stuck with the wake hull if that's all on offer.

I'm thinking that if I don't load it up with ballast the wake should be suitable for 99% of what we want to do. I have wakeboarded on someone else's boat previously but have never given it a thought of taking it up because our current boat produces a 2" wake. I guess Santa might have a few new things to buy if we end up getting the VLX.

Sure - much of our time at the lake is spent pulling tubes :blush: so I can't really talk - though we typically have a rule that the tubes don't come out until after lunch.

If you are primarily slalom skiers, do ski behind it before you buy. It will be better than an I/O, but

If you can find an 02-04 Sunscape 21 LSV, or 01 Sunsetter VLX - it should have the size & layout of the Wakesetter VLX, but with the SV23Diamond hull.

It's possible the VLX has a diamond hull, but unlikely. The outer 4" of hull at the transom will tell you that. The diamond hull will turn down about 30 degrees on the outer 2", while the wake hull will either continue upwards or flatten out just a little.

Good luck with your purchase. Like I mentioned, we're good at helping you spend money..

What about sacks & surfing? (See what I mean about the $$$?)

Edit - Changed dates on boats.

Edited by wienrdog

I'm getting ready to leave for a church high school Houseboat Camp. I will likely be almost exclusively be pulling tubes the entire time, such that I rename my boat a Malibu Tubesetter instead of a Wakesetter.

My younger son loves to kneeboard and loves the wake on our VLX. We were out a few nights ago and he was psyched about clearing wake to wake jumps.

We mostly use the boat for wakeboarding, but it good at other watersports as well - but not so good at slalom skiing. You can tool around on a ski, but a hard cut across the wake may not have a good ending.

Cheers Chris

Resale is an important part of any costly purchase and that is one of the main reasons for choosing a Malibu.

One of the boats I am interested in does not have Perfect Pass and although I may never need it, it does make one think about when we do sell the boat how will it comapre to other boats that already have it. Is perfect pass easily added becasue wiring looms etc already exist or is it something that one should get their dealer to install? What sort of dollars is it to install?

I finally skied behind mine for the first time 4th of July weekend. I was shocked by how weak the pull out of the hole was compared to Echelon's or Sunsetter Lxi's. My guess is the deeper riding hull.

obski

Houseboat holidays are always fun and even better when someone brings a boat along.

I actually don't own any skis but have thought of purchasing some in the past becasue I haven't tried it and it looks like fun from the side lines. If I go the VLX then I guess that I would be passing on the skis and be investing in a wakeboard instead.

From your experience what is easier and/or more fun? Do kids take to either of them more than the other?

Hi all,

Can anybody share their experience with pulling tubes, kneeboards and skiers behind a VLX 2005. Is this wrong type of boat for this type of entertainment? I know there are other boats with different hull shapes but I really like the layout of this boat and am considering purchasing one soon.

Dave

If you're not into wakeboarding, the 21 LSV Sunscape should be a better choice. It has

an identical layout as the VLX that you are familiar with. It comes with

a "diamond hull," as opposed to a "wake hull" that the typical VLX comes with. It provides a

nicer slalom ski wake and will be just fine for tubing, kneeboarding, and even, dare I even say it,

wakeboarding if you don't need or want the big-air potential. It won't have the ballast

tanks for wake enhancement, but it'll probably have "the wedge" which will provide some additional

wake for wakeboarding or surfing. It should also be considerably cheaper to pick one up.

2002-2004 21 LSV Sunscapes are a touch shorter and narrower than the 2005-and-up boats,

and they weigh in at about 600 lbs. less. They have a slightly different hull, which actually makes

them better for skiing. The 2005-2008 boats give you a little more space at the expense of

the slalom wake, but it's still a very nice wake for non-competitive skiing.

The VLX is first and foremost a wakeboarding machine. With the wake hull and built-in ballast

tanks, plus the wedge and tower, they come ready to rumble. But, for what you express and

interest in, I wouldn't recommend investing the extra $5-10K for one.

Edited by srab
Cheers Chris

Resale is an important part of any costly purchase and that is one of the main reasons for choosing a Malibu.

One of the boats I am interested in does not have Perfect Pass and although I may never need it, it does make one think about when we do sell the boat how will it comapre to other boats that already have it. Is perfect pass easily added becasue wiring looms etc already exist or is it something that one should get their dealer to install? What sort of dollars is it to install?

I am one of those guys who can't install anything so I have everything done. Someone else will have to chime in on cost of installing or ease of installing by ones self. I would go ahead get it right away. The auto wedge, ballast, and cruise control or things I could not live without. You might not think that you will use it, but especially when someone else is driving you, you will want it.

It will have a larger wake than a dedicated ski boat for serious slalom skiers. For recreational skiers, 2 skis, and kneeboards, it will be great.

It will also tow tubes well, but many self respecting VLX drivers wouldn't consider it.

The boat is designed for primarily wake boarding and is one of the best at it, but it will do all the other things well too.

Good luck with your purchase & be sure to post pictures once you do. The people on this site are very good at helping you spend money - lots of it.

Actually, it’s more fitting for a vdrive to pull a tuber than any self respecting DD owner… :)

obski

Houseboat holidays are always fun and even better when someone brings a boat along.

I actually don't own any skis but have thought of purchasing some in the past becasue I haven't tried it and it looks like fun from the side lines. If I go the VLX then I guess that I would be passing on the skis and be investing in a wakeboard instead.

From your experience what is easier and/or more fun? Do kids take to either of them more than the other?

Skiing behind a VLX, ah done that and forget it.. I’d find out if there are any Crew members in your area or friends w/ a DD to ski. Slalom is a killer discipline but wakeboarding would be easier to get up first. We personally are going to have my son try everything, though he skied first… :) My guess is whatever the environment the kids are around they’ll gravitate in that direction. The VTX on the cut diamond hull would be a great crossover boat.

PP will cost roughly $1,500 installed.

FWIW, kids seem more interested in wakeboarding these days. As to which is more fun, that is

highly subjective. As to investing in a wakeboard, understand that it will be wakeboards [plural].

Weight and shoe size determines which board to buy, so buying one for yourself won't be enough.

You'll eventually need one for your wife and each kid, and then additional boards/bindings when

they outgrow last summer's board.

Skiing is a little bit different. My whole family and all of my friends have gotten by with just

two slalom skis with adjustable bindings. If I'm taking someone out with me for the first time,

I know I've got a ski that will fit them. The only way that they can give wakeboarding a try

is if their foot size and weight happen to coincide with mine [or one of the kids].

Hi all,

Dave

The VLX comes fully load for wakeboarding, Have you looked or considered a Vride. It is what the 2004 and earlier VLX were before the new 2005 version. For the same amount of money for the 2005 VLX, you might be able to buy a newer Vride or even a brand new 2007 barebones Vride. The Vride is 21' with 93.5" beam. The VLX is 21'6" with 98". The VLX comes with almost everything(bling) standard. The Vride most things are an option. If new you can pick and choose. I'm betting there is a still few new Vride's on some dealers lot, and their price has to be close to a 2005 VLX in good condition with low hrs. Check around, but you can't go wrong with either choose. Go Bu!
Hi all,

Dave

The VLX comes fully load for wakeboarding, Have you looked or considered a Vride. It is what the 2004 and earlier VLX were before the new 2005 version. For the same amount of money for the 2005 VLX, you might be able to buy a newer Vride or even a brand new 2007 barebones Vride. The Vride is 21' with 93.5" beam. The VLX is 21'6" with 98". The VLX comes with almost everything(bling) standard. The Vride most things are an option. If new you can pick and choose. I'm betting there is a still few new Vride's on some dealers lot, and their price has to be close to a 2005 VLX in good condition with low hrs. Check around, but you can't go wrong with either choice. Go Bu!

Just looked NADA 2005 VLX $39400, 2007 Vride $38250 2008 MSRP Vride $41695. Edited by Surfin247
Is perfect pass easily added becasue wiring looms etc already exist or is it something that one should get their dealer to install? What sort of dollars is it to install?
Perfect pass can be installed after the fact. Cost depends on which version you buy - ballpark = $1200 - $1400 new + install. My dealer charges 4 hours of labor to install - about $400. Unless you put together a 'Franken-version' from the parts of people upgrading to stargazer. Then you could probably get everything for less - there is a parts list floating around here somewhere.

Depends on how patient/handy you are if you want to install it yourself.. I installed PP Stargazer in my DD Sunsetter in late May - took me about 6 hours total - including drilling a 2" hole in the bottom of my boat for the paddle wheel. Much of that time was spent fishing wires and/or working to make sure wire lengths & runs were correct & handle a judges display mounted down my my knee. With the experience I now have I could do it much faster - 3 to 4 hours.

For the wakeboard-pro stargazer, the install would be about 2 hours now. Install servo, install gauge, Mount master module - Wire together with unique connectors, wire to ignition(key), tach & ground, put everything back together - all wires are underneath dash or behind gauges. Slightly more time for the ski version to run "Smart Timer" to passenger side of boat.

Having PP is a BIG plus. You can't understand how big until you get some more time with a less experienced driver. Not having to worry about speed changing +/- 5MPH or more is a big plus. As you get better at skiing/boarding you will become much more sensitive to speed variations.

Skiing vs Wakeboarding is personal preference. I do both, but enjoy skiing more. Wakeboarding is probably a quicker learning curve, but the falls can be pretty sudden & painful (See the injury threads floating around). To me, there is nothing wakeboarding yet that compares to the thrill of the speeds from slalom skiing & the hard cut behind the boat - it just typically takes a little longer to get there.

Kids can learn either with some patience. Kids skis with a rope/stick between them are good for younger skiers (5, 6).

The kids (6 - 10) we go to the lake with spend time kneeboarding, wakeboarding, double skiing & tubing. None of those kids are slalom skiing yet. We have had some who got up first on 2 skis & some who got up first on a board. All have tried both, but they seem to prefer kneeboarding & tubing right now.

If you aren't a skier or wakeboarder yet, then the hull selection isn't as critical. You would need to figure out which you enjoy most. If you find out you picked the wrong one, then you change/upgrade later.

Edited by wienrdog

Love my 05 VLX, but, as stated above, it's no ski boat. It still has a rather large bump, even in the mid 30's mph. Pulling tubes, kneeboards etc, it's just fine. I would contend that a bigger wake makes a tube ride even more fun...:)

But it is a Wakeboarding machine, pure and simple. If you don't intend to wakeboard, it's not worth the extra cost of owning a VLX. If you do, there's no better ride out there. The hull alone with the wedge down is enough for a majority of riders out there. If you have ANYONE who wants a decent wake for skiing, don't go VLX, go with a diamond hull.

Thanks for all the great advice everyone.

I would love to buy a new boat at the US price but I live in Australia where it seems to cost an absurb amount more. Especially as the Aussie dollar is almost the same as the US dollar at the moment.

08 VLX *RRP: $73,916.00 AUD #MSRP: $58,095.00

08 vRide *RRP: $65,828.00 AUD #MSRP: $41,695 US

* Excludes Trailer & GST (10%)

#MSRP: Standard w/ tandem axle trailer, but does not include tax, freight, dealer preparations or any options

05 VLX ~65,000

05 vRide ~62,000 (with extras)

02 Sunscape 21 lsv ~65,000

The 05 VLX seems to be good value when compared to other boats that are currently for sale There are not too many to choose from either but that may change in the coming months as it will be the start of our season.

I'm still leaning towards the VLX as the best option at the moment but guess I won't know if that's the right decision until I get it out on the water.

I will have to do some more homework.

Thanks for all the great advice everyone.

I would love to buy a new boat at the US price but I live in Australia where it seems to cost an absurb amount more. Especially as the Aussie dollar is almost the same as the US dollar at the moment.

08 VLX *RRP: $73,916.00 AUD #MSRP: $58,095.00

08 vRide *RRP: $65,828.00 AUD #MSRP: $41,695 US

* Excludes Trailer & GST (10%)

#MSRP: Standard w/ tandem axle trailer, but does not include tax, freight, dealer preparations or any options

05 VLX ~65,000

05 vRide ~62,000 (with extras)

02 Sunscape 21 lsv ~65,000

The 05 VLX seems to be good value when compared to other boats that are currently for sale There are not too many to choose from either but that may change in the coming months as it will be the start of our season.

I'm still leaning towards the VLX as the best option at the moment but guess I won't know if that's the right decision until I get it out on the water.

I will have to do some more homework.

If its only $3000 more for the VLX than a Vride go with the VLX. Big difference in the States. Don't even consider the Sunscape 2002 LSV for same price.

However, if you could get the Sunscape appropriately priced, it may be a better boat all-around boat for you.

Based on the NADA (used boat) guides here say:

05 Wakesetter VLX = 39,400 US = 65K AUS

02 Sunscape 21 = 26,810 US = 45K AUS

You'd have to account for boat condition, hours, accessories, motor upgrades & extras, etc.

For the price the LSV is currently listed, you could almost get a NEW v-ride for the same price after negotiation.

$65k for a USED VLX! I would seriously look into importing one from the states, you can find a nice 05 here for mid $40's US, even if it costs you $10k get it to AUS you could save some serious dough.

-Chris

Can you even get a diamond hull V drive in Aus? I thought they only ever made wake hulls down there and the only diamond hulls available were on the Response line or the now dead SSLXi.

...I would be passing on the skis and be investing in a wakeboard instead...From your experience what is easier and/or more fun?

More fun? Depends on your definition of fun. Very subjective.

Easier? Wakeboarding, hands down. That's why it's so popular for watersports newbies. It's easy.

Actually, it’s more fitting for a vdrive to pull a tuber than any self respecting DD owner...

:lol:Thumbup.gif