Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

wakesurf board

Bo2484

I have an 08 WS VLX I fill the bow center and surf side rear and wedge, and usually have 3 to 4 people. I have a 5'11 Landlock and I either don't have the right wake or board. I guess what I'm asking is for a 250lb rider what is the best board

I have an 08 WS VLX I fill the bow center and surf side rear and wedge, and usually have 3 to 4 people. I have a 5'11 Landlock and I either don't have the right wake or board. I guess what I'm asking is for a 250lb rider what is the best board
A landlock is a big board it should just about float anyone, but it is not very fast or manueverable. First, you need deep water at least 12-15 ft. Second, more weight in your boat. With rear tanks you will need an additional 400-500 lbs in the rear locker, 400-500lbs at the rear of the seat on the side you are surfing, and 400-500lbs in the bow. These are all in addition to filling all stock ballast except the rear tank on the opposite side that your surfing. Have all the people on the boat on the surfside. Wedge all the way down (smallest wake height) then try moving it up one click at a time to see where the wake clears up. You want the face of the wake to be the color of your water, no white water. Also speed around 10-12 mph. Alternate speed to see what it takes to cleanup the wake and lengthen the pocket. Faster= cleaner face,longer pocket, shorter wake. Slower = taller wake ,shorter pocket, more curl. The wedge is mainly used to shape the wake. Because your moving so slow if you have the wedge on the largest wake setting all that does is make the boat hard to get out of the hole and mess up the wake (white water) Go to the smallest wake setting and then move it up after you have reached optimum surf speed. One thing I found with my fixed wedge is that the wake won't look any bigger or have any better shape, but with the wedge down vs. up I get better drive on the surfboard. Drive=speed. Lastly, concerning weight, a rule of thumb is to take your total weight ,including stock ballast and splitting it 60% from back of driver seat to stern and 40% driver seat to bow. Once you have the basis it does not take much to make a big difference, so use your people(VAB) and move them along the surfside to see what is best for you. Don't be afraid to experiment. The nose of the board should be aiming at the stern corner on the surfside and position your feet closer to the wake side of the board ,then in the center of the board. Legs a little wider then shoulder length. Try and find what stance and balance will allow the rope to go slack, remember more weight forward makes the board go faster. more weight back slows you down. Don't be in a hurry to let go of the rope. You need to find the sweet spot on the board for you ,then the sweet spot on the wake. Once you have had the rope slack more often then not toss it over to the other side of the wake. This is easier then trying to toss it in the boat. First time most lose their balance and concentration. Once you feel the sweet spot, you will know, then just don't forget to relax and enjoy.