Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

WakeSurf Board

azncrkhead

I see on this forum everyone is riding the Broadcast surf board. Has anyone ride the Coex 44 surf board? If you have do you like it. I'm new to wake surfing but I want to purchase a board that will allow me to ride and do tricks.

I see on this forum everyone is riding the Broadcast surf board. Has anyone ride the Coex 44 surf board? If you have do you like it. I'm new to wake surfing but I want to purchase a board that will allow me to ride and do tricks.

I have a coex 4'4" and a broadcast, for me the coex is more maneuverable and all around a better board for beginners and advanced wakesurfers alike. The broadcast rides more like a surfboard to me and the coex feels more like a wakeboard. It also depends what size wake you are riding, if you have a good wake I would say go with the coex, for a smaller wake the broadcast.

I have a coex. It is a great intermediate board it rides nice and is very maneuverable. great for learning spins and Ollie's. it has alot of float and is definitely faster than the broad cast but after a season you will want a faster board. at least thats where i find myself today. I wouldn't give up my coex as it is perfect for the kids learning and the adults advancing. on a scale of 1-5 id give it a 4. my 2 cents.

I would not say "everyone". We tried several from HL, LF, etc. and now only use Inland Surfer boards and love those.

First, thing you need to find out what style you prefer: Surf or Skim. Skim is usually boards 4.5 ft or less with a single center fin. These boards require a lot of constant work to keep them propelling forward. Their drive is created by the movement of the rider- pumping the board or edging it up and down the wake using gravity to generate speed. You will be mostly in a squat position the whole time. It is a phenomenal workout, but for some maybe just a little too much. Surface tricks are easier 360's+. shuvits and most basic skateboard tricks.I can ride a skim for about 5 mins straight ropeless,but then I'm shot. Surf style usually has longer boards and 2 or more fins. The drive(speed) on these boards is primarily generated by the fins. They tend to be 3.25" or longer. Some up to almost 5. They are usually a faster board they allow you to carve very hard, even to the very top of the wake. Surf style also has the speed to get real big air. Because of the drive of the fins you can also cruise on these boards withiout having to do much. Good way to take a small break. I've ridden this style of board for over an hour, and for more than 25 mins. straight with no rope. Throwing air,big carves and lip slides with a little cruise in between sets. Also surf style boards will allow you to ride boats with smaller wakes (DD). But, you need to try both styles to find out what you like. I went CWB Ride grew out of it in a month(Sold), Phase 5 Prop I'm to big and too much work(In box), TWP Comp X ,A hybrid kind of a cross between both styles. Put 451 Scimitar Future fins on it and loved it(neighborhood training board) and now TWP CarbonTek Bullet. I would have loved saving all that money and gone straight to the Bullet, but I would not been able to ride it out of the box. I probably would have gotten frustrated and quit. One new board to the surf game I wish had been around when I started 2 years ago. O Brien Alias 4.5. I ride this board on the Portside wake ( I ride Darkside) I find it very bouyant,not to fast or loose. Does not pearl as easily as the CWB Ride or HL Broadcast. For about $200, I wish it was around 2 years ago, it would still be in my quiver for riding the opposite wake ( backside and switched). I ride it when I go out surfing with my Port wake only friends,and we are 200+lbs and they can throw 360's. That is amazing to me on a 4.5' board. Also, the construction is the same as a wakeboard so it is pretty durable. Not bad for under $200 new. The best deal is to find others with different boards, offer gas money and try their board. Ride as many different ones as you can then choose. 2 yrs. ago there wasn't as much choice and even fewer people to borrow from. Go have fun.
  • 9 months later...
First, thing you need to find out what style you prefer: Surf or Skim. Skim is usually boards 4.5 ft or less with a single center fin. These boards require a lot of constant work to keep them propelling forward. Their drive is created by the movement of the rider- pumping the board or edging it up and down the wake using gravity to generate speed. You will be mostly in a squat position the whole time. It is a phenomenal workout, but for some maybe just a little too much. Surface tricks are easier 360's+. shuvits and most basic skateboard tricks.I can ride a skim for about 5 mins straight ropeless,but then I'm shot. Surf style usually has longer boards and 2 or more fins. The drive(speed) on these boards is primarily generated by the fins. They tend to be 3.25" or longer. Some up to almost 5. They are usually a faster board they allow you to carve very hard, even to the very top of the wake. Surf style also has the speed to get real big air. Because of the drive of the fins you can also cruise on these boards withiout having to do much. Good way to take a small break. I've ridden this style of board for over an hour, and for more than 25 mins. straight with no rope. Throwing air,big carves and lip slides with a little cruise in between sets. Also surf style boards will allow you to ride boats with smaller wakes (DD). But, you need to try both styles to find out what you like. I went CWB Ride grew out of it in a month(Sold), Phase 5 Prop I'm to big and too much work(In box), TWP Comp X ,A hybrid kind of a cross between both styles. Put 451 Scimitar Future fins on it and loved it(neighborhood training board) and now TWP CarbonTek Bullet. I would have loved saving all that money and gone straight to the Bullet, but I would not been able to ride it out of the box. I probably would have gotten frustrated and quit. One new board to the surf game I wish had been around when I started 2 years ago. O Brien Alias 4.5. I ride this board on the Portside wake ( I ride Darkside) I find it very bouyant,not to fast or loose. Does not pearl as easily as the CWB Ride or HL Broadcast. For about $200, I wish it was around 2 years ago, it would still be in my quiver for riding the opposite wake ( backside and switched). I ride it when I go out surfing with my Port wake only friends,and we are 200+lbs and they can throw 360's. That is amazing to me on a 4.5' board. Also, the construction is the same as a wakeboard so it is pretty durable. Not bad for under $200 new. The best deal is to find others with different boards, offer gas money and try their board. Ride as many different ones as you can then choose. 2 yrs. ago there wasn't as much choice and even fewer people to borrow from. Go have fun.

I am a novice wakesurfer. 6'1" 210lb (though hoping to be closer to 200 by summer...) with an vRide with wedge and center tank. With friends on back corner do you think I will be able to surf with the CWB Ride? I was thinking of that board as a general entry for myself and friends?

• 5 weeks later...

I used a Hyperlite Broadcast last summer, 6'2 250lbs, behind my 06 VLX, worked out good, but also looking for something a little wilder and able to do a few more tricks this summer.. To start off, I lost just over 50lbs, down to 197lbs bought a new 09 VLX and am looking to "shake" it up this summer. So I'm looking for something that will work out really good as well.. My wife will also ride it too, 140lbs...

So something that will work for both of us would be wicked..

Cheers Rockon.gif

I used a Hyperlite Broadcast last summer, 6'2 250lbs, behind my 06 VLX, worked out good, but also looking for something a little wilder and able to do a few more tricks this summer.. To start off, I lost just over 50lbs, down to 197lbs bought a new 09 VLX and am looking to "shake" it up this summer. So I'm looking for something that will work out really good as well.. My wife will also ride it too, 140lbs...

So something that will work for both of us would be wicked..

Cheers Rockon.gif

I am 6'4" 210 and I ride a Shredstixx JaMako. I learned on a Hyperlite Broadcast - which is an awesome beginner/intermediate board. We have introduced wakesurfing to about a dozen people an they all have a great time on the Hyperlite. The Shredstixx is a mucg faster / more responsive board - its much more like surfing in the ocean and you can pump the board to generate speed. I love riding the JaMako - don't ride anything else now. My son is about 140 lbs and he learned on the Hyperlite and is now tearing it up on the JaMako.

Quick video of these boards in action - may help:

http://www.vimeo.com/4870020

Good luck and hope you get some great surfing with your new 09!!!