Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Top Speed reduced down to 42 MPH

My 23 LSV with the 383 HH, seems to only be reaching a top speed of 42 MPH with the stock prop (537 i think) @ 4700 RPM. It used to top out around 50 MPH at about 5200 RPM. Any ideas why my performance has dropped? Only changes I have made are switching from 15W40 Oil to straight 50w oil at the recommendation of Indmar., to solve the burning up oil issue I was having. Any insight would be great. Thanks!

Did you happen to change the plugs? I had a similar problem when I switched the #2 and #4 wires by accident...

haven't done anything with plugs or wires. Malibu released a service bulletin last year to switch oil yes which has solved the oil issue..

I am not trying to be a wise guy, but are you sure the top speed has changed? Is there any chance that someone messed with the speedometer adjustment? Have you ever calibrated with a GPS? I'll admit that 42 sounds a little low for HH with the stock prop, but at the same time, 50 sounds fast to me, even for a HH. I'd also take a real close look at your prop. There is a chance you hit a piece of wood or something and bent one of the blades slightly. Good luck and please let us know if you figure it out...

8 mph and 500 rpm difference. It could be the conditions. Remember when it's very hot the air is less dense. There is not the same amount of O2 in the same amount of volume of air going into your power plant. It should run strong on cold dry days and a little less strong on hot humid days.

Plus1.gif
8 mph and 500 rpm difference. It could be the conditions. Remember when it's very hot the air is less dense. There is not the same amount of O2 in the same amount of volume of air going into your power plant. It should run strong on cold dry days and a little less strong on hot humid days.
Plus1.gif

Florida in the summer. Cry.gif