Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Lift Set-up for VTX

Dusty14

Hey gang. Just put together a new 4000 lb Shore Station boat lift for the VTX and am looking for any information out there for properly setting your bunks up to accomodate the boat. Common sense would lead me to believe that a setup similar to the trailer bunk set up would be best....however I feel it may be too narrow and could be widened. I am a new V drive owner (past outboarder for many years) and just want to make sure I am doing everything right to prevent damage to the prop shaft and hull, etc. I have included some pics of the set up as it sits now. Any info., tips, or recommendations would be gladly appreciated.

IMG_2575.jpg

IMG_2576.jpg

IMG_2574.jpg

We have basically the same boat as you, and the exact same boat hoist. Out bunks are about 30 inches from inside to inside. The boat seems to sit fine, and if it's on crooked, it just falls into place.

• 4 weeks later...
Hey gang. Just put together a new 4000 lb Shore Station boat lift for the VTX and am looking for any information out there for properly setting your bunks up to accomodate the boat. Common sense would lead me to believe that a setup similar to the trailer bunk set up would be best....however I feel it may be too narrow and could be widened. I am a new V drive owner (past outboarder for many years) and just want to make sure I am doing everything right to prevent damage to the prop shaft and hull, etc. I have included some pics of the set up as it sits now. Any info., tips, or recommendations would be gladly appreciated.

IMG_2575.jpg

IMG_2576.jpg

IMG_2574.jpg

I am a new VTX owner this year. 4000 lb shoremaster. I was wondering the same questions as you. My lake is shallow, so I want the bunks as low as possible, but if I go too low, then I run the risk of catching the Gorrilla fins on the cross bars of the lift section.

Your set up looks plenty wide enough to me.

However, I would say it looks like you could use a bit more height on the front. You look pretty level -- this might increase the chance of going thru the hoist to far forward and catching the driveshaft / prop on the back cross bar. I like a bit of an incline to stop the forward momentum.

One other point -- don't forget to empty your ballasts before parking! I made that mistake...

I like the colors of your boat.

I'm loving the quiet engine at idle and low speeds of my VTX

You can buy the front end boat stop part #HA1180 from Shorestation to prevent driving the boat on too far. I have the same lift but do not have this option...but should. I just guide my boat on by hand from the dock.

IMG_2575.jpg

IMG_2576.jpg

IMG_2574.jpg

I am a new VTX owner this year. 4000 lb shoremaster. I was wondering the same questions as you. My lake is shallow, so I want the bunks as low as possible, but if I go too low, then I run the risk of catching the Gorrilla fins on the cross bars of the lift section.

Your set up looks plenty wide enough to me.

However, I would say it looks like you could use a bit more height on the front. You look pretty level -- this might increase the chance of going thru the hoist to far forward and catching the driveshaft / prop on the back cross bar. I like a bit of an incline to stop the forward momentum.

One other point -- don't forget to empty your ballasts before parking! I made that mistake...

I like the colors of your boat.

I'm loving the quiet engine at idle and low speeds of my VTX

Have a Shoremaster with a Vride on it. Set the bunks so the big chines on the bottom hull are about 1.5 to 2 inches inside the bunks. I don't think you should have the bunks running across or resting on these chines. Over time it could weaken the gelcoat especially if you have the vinyl covered aluminum bunks. These types of bunks are low maintenance, but are very hard edged and could damage the gelcoat on the chines if the bunks were to slip down the chine. Also wider is more stable and the boat rests more even on the bunks. My vride beam is 93.5" and I have the bunks at around 51" inside to inside. The front brackets are 2" higher( one hole higher) but I have an EZ dock in front ,so I can't drive thru. If you don't want to risk that ,I think 2 holes higher pretty much accomplishes this.(about 4" higher than rear bunks).

IMG_2575.jpg

IMG_2576.jpg

IMG_2574.jpg

I just feel compelled to comment - What a BEAUTIFUL boat. I love the blue underside. Very classy.

I have the same lift, it looks like you are set up pretty good. I was actually going to say the opposite of Pigeon about the leveling. I prefer my lift to be level, and if you want your boat to sit at an ange do that with the bunks. But I don't know why you would want that either. Unless your pulling the rear plug out to drain it like a fishing boat.

Where are your side guides that come with the lift? I can see the marks from where they were. Those things will be a savior on rough days as it looks like you are on pretty big water.

And I bought the Shorestation Bow stop but never used it because I am on a really small lake and thought it was overkill. It looked like it would definately do the job. Since your coming from an outboard, and you more than likely had a motor stop for that, you may want to look at that option. When the waves are crashing, and you don't have an experienced crew, and you have a manual crank lift, its not that hard to drift forward, and damage driveline. I've seen it done.

And get those side bunks back on, I keep looking at your sweet boat and those nice 90 degree aluminum edges on your lift