Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

4th of July Vaca

jworason

Well, we went to Sebago Lake in Maine with the new Malibu for the 4th. I was happy to see many other Bu's there. The boat was awesome and we had a great time. Until this weekend when we went out locally for a round of skiing and tubing. I had all the kids at the boat ramp, the boat backed up to the edge of the water and realized I needed to put the plug in the boat. I opened the engine cowl and the nice brass plug with T handle on it was not there. Well I know I left it right next to the hole in the engine compartment when I pulled the boat out of the water in Sebago. We searched from one end of the engine cowl to back of the gas tank with no luck. I then packed up the kids and went back to the house and searched there with no luck. I wasn't about to give up, so we went to the hardware store and bought 2 plugs. Then we went and had some fun. Well, if anyone knows Interstate 495 here in MA you would know how bad (bumpy) certain areas of the highway are. Did the plug bounce to the back of the boat? So, any ideas on where the plug is and has this happened to anyone else. I know I will find it buried under the mufflers or somewhere else. Do I need to pull the gas tank?

Dontknow.gif:unsure:Whistling.gif

Well, we went to Sebago Lake in Maine with the new Malibu for the 4th. I was happy to see many other Bu's there. The boat was awesome and we had a great time. Until this weekend when we went out locally for a round of skiing and tubing. I had all the kids at the boat ramp, the boat backed up to the edge of the water and realized I needed to put the plug in the boat. I opened the engine cowl and the nice brass plug with T handle on it was not there. Well I know I left it right next to the hole in the engine compartment when I pulled the boat out of the water in Sebago. We searched from one end of the engine cowl to back of the gas tank with no luck. I then packed up the kids and went back to the house and searched there with no luck. I wasn't about to give up, so we went to the hardware store and bought 2 plugs. Then we went and had some fun. Well, if anyone knows Interstate 495 here in MA you would know how bad (bumpy) certain areas of the highway are. Did the plug bounce to the back of the boat? So, any ideas on where the plug is and has this happened to anyone else. I know I will find it buried under the mufflers or somewhere else. Do I need to pull the gas tank?

I'm with you on the smoothness of 495...heading up to the deep sticks of Maine tomorrow morning, but I left the BU in Orono on the 4th knowing I was heading back up. Just curious why you took the plug out in the first place...It's not often that I have enough water in the engine compartment that I have to pull the "t-plug." Either way...I'll keep on eye out for your plug on the way north.

drill a hole big enough to put it on a hasp on your keychain, then you won't forget to put it in either(have a couple floats on it.......)

anyone ever just try the rubber plugs

?????

I'm with you on the smoothness of 495...heading up to the deep sticks of Maine tomorrow morning, but I left the BU in Orono on the 4th knowing I was heading back up. Just curious why you took the plug out in the first place...It's not often that I have enough water in the engine compartment that I have to pull the "t-plug." Either way...I'll keep on eye out for your plug on the way north.

Plus1.gif Unless you have a ton of water in there, I wouldn't be pulling througth-hull plug. If you pull the stern plug before you tow then anytime you go up a hill that will get more water out than pulling a bottom plug since they are not in the very bottom of the V (at least on the VTX) As for your T, well there is no way it came out, so if you left it in the hull its still in there some where. I suggest an extremely bright light and a small mirror for looking around corners. I would agree that if it worked its way under the gas tank I would be worried, that could get stuck and eventually wear it's way through the tank and spring a leak. Happened on my Pathfinder, a small rock caught between the skidplate and the tank wore a pinhole leak in the tank.

I always pull my t-plug, but the engine has a lifting eye by the carb that has a hole big enough to stick the threaded end into, that way I always know where it is, and it won't come out easily.

I feel your pain, my friend. Fortunately we don't have to haul the boat over the road, but we're on 495 all the time. Paving work is progressing northbound, but south is awful from Rt 3 down to Rt 2. It sucked on the bike last month shooting up to NH and back for bike week. Crazy.gif

Haven't seen your plug. Sorry.