Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rudder Removal and Reinstallation

Hey guys,

I am replacing bent strut and shaft and need to remove the rudder. I have a tow truck lined up to lift the boat off the trailer so I can remove the rudder. Are there any special techniques or instructions on removal of the rudder? Can I reuse the same orings, etc. when I put it back together. If someone has a diagram of the process in pdf please PM me. Could use the help. This is a first for me. Luckily I have a boat mechanic coming to install the shaft and strut and lining up the shaft. Once he is done I am going to get the tow truck back out to lift the boat to reinstall the rudder. Thanks in advance for your help!!

AF1

Almost back in the air!! Clap.gif

Hey guys,

I am replacing bent strut and shaft and need to remove the rudder. I have a tow truck lined up to lift the boat off the trailer so I can remove the rudder. Are there any special techniques or instructions on removal of the rudder? Can I reuse the same orings, etc. when I put it back together. If someone has a diagram of the process in pdf please PM me. Could use the help. This is a first for me. Luckily I have a boat mechanic coming to install the shaft and strut and lining up the shaft. Once he is done I am going to get the tow truck back out to lift the boat to reinstall the rudder. Thanks in advance for your help!!

AF1

First off, why do you need to lift the boat? It seems to me that should come out w/o doing that? Not sure though? And secondly, if you've got it off, why not replace all the parts possible to avoid this again Dontknow.gif JMO though

Hey guys,

AF1

First off, why do you need to lift the boat? It seems to me that should come out w/o doing that? Not sure though? And secondly, if you've got it off, why not replace all the parts possible to avoid this again Dontknow.gif JMO though

The gaurd on the bottom of my trailer will not let me take the rudder completely off. It will hit the gaurd. If I don't need to replace any parts on the rudder then I save a few bucks. I just spen 2k on a new engine and $800 on a shaft and strut!

Can anyone help me with some information on removal and reinstallation?

Thanks

AF1

AirForce1, Let me know if you need some help. I've never done it but I am mechanically inclined and always like learning how to fix stuff.

Hey guys,

AF1

Mine was pretty straight forward (ie not bent). Pull the arm and collar from the top side (below the fuel tank) and it should slide out depending on how bent. The arm that connects the steering cable is keyed and the key is a PITA to find if you drop it or any of the allen head set screws in the collar.

take the boat to a ramp and slide it back a few inches. it shouldn't take much to allow the rudder to fall clear of the prop guard.

I agree with above. I didn't have to lift my boat to remove the rudder.I don't think I had to move my boat at all, the rudder barely cleared the guard. If you are sure it won't clear the guard, just go to the ramp and push it off center or slide it back some.

Removing the rudder is easy, I didn't have to replace the rubber o-ring on the rudder shaft.

Have someone under the boat or use some padding when you loosen the set screws holding the rudder up.

take the boat to a ramp and slide it back a few inches. it shouldn't take much to allow the rudder to fall clear of the prop guard.

Plus1.gif If you don't have far to tow it back to where you will be doing the work, or jack the back of the boat up from both sides. How much is the tow lift going to cost you?

Isn't the shaft offset enough from the rudder that you can pull it out without removing the rudder? I did that on a Gekko once, but I am pretty sure mine is the same way.

Edited by bretski75
Isn't the shaft offset enough from the rudder that you can pull it out without removing the rudder? I did that on a Gekko once, but I am pretty sure mine is the same way.

I am pretty sure the shaft is offset enough with the removal of the strut. I am going to attmpt to replace without removing the rudder. Another problem I have is I busted the o-ring on the bottom of the rudder when I greased the zerk fitting on the rudder assembly. I am hoping to have enough clearance to drop the rudder and replace the o-ring.

bretski75: Did you have to repack the stuffing box after replacing the shaft or just tighten it up after replacing?

AF1

The stuffing / wax rope/ whatever you technically call it, was in good shape, so we were able to just tighten it back up. I didn't need to replace the strut so my alignment was good, but I am guessing with a new strut that won't be the case. I hope your boat mechanic is familiar with inboard shaft alignments because the tolerances are tight.

DIM was a fantastic resource when I did this the first time, their technicians walked me through the process of taking a shaft out. http://www.skidim.com/

I recently hit log and had my prop, rudder and strut all straightened at Baumanns Props in Houston (total bill$230). I jacked up the boat to get rudder out and in (trailer guard in way), but you can slide boat back a little to miss the guard. Rubber O-ring in bottom of rudder sleeve was good, so I just coated the rudder shaft with grease and reinstalled. Everyone responded that I should use new parts, but straightened strut and rudder are perfect. Prop reworked too. Boated last weekend and all was good. My shaft did not appear bent when I hand turned it, and no vibration now so I'm comfortable it is fine. People seem to think that shafts always bend when you hit something, but I found that not to be the case.

Good luck!

To remove the shaft, you need to remove the rudder, strut is not offset. (well yours might be since its bent Whistling.gif ) You don't need to loosen the packing to remove the shaft. I raised the back of my boat up with a forklift & straps so the rudder would clear. Hardest part was seperating the flange from the shaft on the tranny end. Not too difficult, just use a socket between flanges & longer bolts.