Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rudder

I did some work on the steering this weekend on our '87 Skier. I was noticing a little stiffness in turns so I replaced the steering cable and removed the rudder assembly to inspect, clean, remount everything. Something I noticed is that the rudder can move vertically about 1/8" or so. It seems like a washer or something should be between the rudder and the mounting plates. There really is no vertical adjustment since the bolt goes through the steering arm and then through the race in the rudder shaft. The vertical alignment with the rudder shaft and the steering arm is a given, but the rudder and steering arm can move vertically within the through-hull assembly brass bracket thingy (forgive me I am not sure what everything is called). I am thinking about trying a nylon washer around the rudder shaft between the arm and the previously mentioned brass through-hull thingy. Is this a good idea or not. Maybe that little gap is supposed to be there. Dontknow.gif

Mike.

I had to replace my rudder housing a few years ago. I don't remember any vertical movement after it was replaced.

Just to be clear, are you saying that if you get under the boat and grab the rudder, you can move it up and down an 1/8 inch?

Yes, I can move the rudder up and down really only about 1/16", I said 1/8" but that is not correct. This was the case before I had the rudder off too.

Mike.

Are you sure the steering arm is thru bolted to the rudder shaft? On the newer boats it is not and you have to be careful when reassembling the rudder and steering arm to ensure there is no vertical play.

-Chris

The rudder shaft has a horizontal race that is basically a half circle on the edge that aligns with a hole in the arm through wich a bolt goes. There is also a vertical slot in the shaft from the end down about a half inch then tapers, this lines up with a slot in the arm as well for a small lock between the rudder and arm. There is no play in that assembly at all, it is tight.

The vertical play is between the rudder/arm assembly and the housing.

Mike.

The rudder shaft has a horizontal race that is basically a half circle on the edge that aligns with a hole in the arm through wich a bolt goes. There is also a vertical slot in the shaft from the end down about a half inch then tapers, this lines up with a slot in the arm as well for a small lock between the rudder and arm. There is no play in that assembly at all, it is tight.

The vertical play is between the rudder/arm assembly and the housing.

Mike.

Loosen up the steering arm, and push the rudder all the way up and block it from the ground (or better yet get a helper), push the steering arm flush against the rudder housing, tighten up the steering arm and you should be all set.

-Chris

• 3 weeks later...

We also have an 87 skier with a similar problem. The steering has become very hard, especially at speed. The steering cable was replaced, but did not help the issue. We also have play in the rudder from side to side and front to back, but not up and down. Tonight we have removed the rudder assembly from the boat, and have discovered that the shaft on the rudder is worn and out of round. Does anyone have an idea where to get a replacement rudder and/or whole assembly. My dealer has been little help.