Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Intermittant Starting trouble

Any ideas? I have twice now experienced trouble starting my boat (2005 RLXi, 340 Monsoon) after spending about 1.5 hours anchored & swimming. We ran around the lake earlier for about 2 hours prior to stopping. It cranks over just fine (battery has juice) but the engine sputters and does not stay running at idle. Happened last weekend so I replaced the battery since it was about 3 years old and figured it would go eventually anyway.

Got a tow into the marina (again) and when I got the boat back home it started up just fine in the driveway with the fake-a-lake on it. Somethings not right, but I'm not sure where to start. Fuel filter or fuel pump maybe?

Anyone have a similar problem?

Any ideas? I have twice now experienced trouble starting my boat (2005 RLXi, 340 Monsoon) after spending about 1.5 hours anchored & swimming. We ran around the lake earlier for about 2 hours prior to stopping. It cranks over just fine (battery has juice) but the engine sputters and does not stay running at idle. Happened last weekend so I replaced the battery since it was about 3 years old and figured it would go eventually anyway.

Got a tow into the marina (again) and when I got the boat back home it started up just fine in the driveway with the fake-a-lake on it. Somethings not right, but I'm not sure where to start. Fuel filter or fuel pump maybe?

Anyone have a similar problem?

Have you replaced the fuel filter every 50 hours? If you have, it could be vapor lock from winter gas.

I have an 08 VLX with the monsoon engine and have the same problem with only 50 hrs on it. I was always able to force it to run by giving it gas but since they took away the neutral starting button with the recall, I can't do that anymore.

Absolutely. However, the fuel filter needs to be changed at 100 hours or annually, not every 50, IIRC.

You may also want to check the small screen at your fuel pump.

I've burned through 2 tanks of gas already so the "winter gas" should be purged. But I'll go ahead and change the fuel filter anyway. I'm hoping that will do the trick.

Also, how do you get vapor lock in the system and what do you do about it?

Chances of you getting vapor lock are slim.

However, run the blower for awhile upon coming to a stop to ventilate the motor box.

If your fuel pump is on the side of the engine, instead of in the gas tank. Your fuel pump is so hot it is vaporizing the gas especially if it has ethanol in it. Run the blower, if you stop for more than 20-30mins. open the hatch to let hot air out. On my 2005 Vride the aluminum fuel pump will get so hot you can't even touch it. You can use a wet towel on it to cool it or pour water on it or a cold water bottle wedged between the pump and the mounting bolts, at least on my Vride. Another trick from the manual is to turn the key until you hear the fuel pump run, let it finish and stop then repeat 1 or 2 more times,then start the engine. That is supposed to purge the pump and fuel rails of vapor. This doesn't always work if the pump is to hot, but cooling down the pump has worked every single time.

I've burned through 2 tanks of gas already so the "winter gas" should be purged. But I'll go ahead and change the fuel filter anyway. I'm hoping that will do the trick.

Also, how do you get vapor lock in the system and what do you do about it?

You can still get winter gas blend at the pump in the summer.

Absolutely. However, the fuel filter needs to be changed at 100 hours or annually, not every 50, IIRC.

If you wait for 100 hours to change a fuel filter, you can easily burn up a fuel pump. One bad tank of gas can clog a fuel filter.

great information Crew....thanks to all.
Down here in Florida with the heat and humidity, using Stabil seemed to help a little. But, you can still get water in your gas if it sits too long. I noticed your from Id. Used to live in Walla Walla, Wa. ( no jokes) Does it still get as hot as I remember ,100's in the summer.

Suefin247 is probably right on based on your description of your problems. We had the same issues with an 06 LXi. Make sure your vents above the cup holders in the back of the engine cover are not covered. Ours would vapor lock every time it would get hot and leave it setting for several minutes. Once we trimmed the insulation around the vent in the engine box, things seemed better.

If you wait for 100 hours to change a fuel filter, you can easily burn up a fuel pump. One bad tank of gas can clog a fuel filter.

You talking about the water separating filter or inline? Anyway, I put 100 hours per year on the boat. Haven't burned up a fuel pump yet.