Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Buying new boat

mhenry

we are ready to purchase a boat for our family of five. I test drove a new 07 Supra 24v Saturday 340 HP and liked it. I did not like the Bag ballast system, it took up the storage area. Overall i liked it. I had already looked at a left over Malibu 2007 247 LSV and really liked the space in the boat. So today i went back to the Malibu dealer and tested it. 07 247 LSV with 8.1 L 450 HP . WOW I was very impressed with the boat. It seemed to me to be a WHOLE lot more boat. But it is a whole lot more money. I think the difference will be around 17k between the two new boats give or take. I know this site will be biased but I wanted to hear from Malibu owners. This is my first boat in a very long time and do not want to make a costly mistake. I plan on keeping the boat for many years and after looking at preowned boats I feel most are priced to close to new ones and I am kind of picky about condition so new makes more sense to me. Is it really worth that much more for the bigger Malibu, What about the 8.1 is it overkill? Will i get the difference back if I sell in few years ( not the plan but>>>)?

Thanks for any advice offered.

we are ready to purchase a boat for our family of five. I test drove a new 07 Supra 24v Saturday 340 HP and liked it. I did not like the Bag ballast system, it took up the storage area. Overall i liked it. I had already looked at a left over Malibu 2007 247 LSV and really liked the space in the boat. So today i went back to the Malibu dealer and tested it. 07 247 LSV with 8.1 L 450 HP . WOW I was very impressed with the boat. It seemed to me to be a WHOLE lot more boat. But it is a whole lot more money. I think the difference will be around 17k between the two new boats give or take. I know this site will be biased but I wanted to hear from Malibu owners. This is my first boat in a very long time and do not want to make a costly mistake. I plan on keeping the boat for many years and after looking at preowned boats I feel most are priced to close to new ones and I am kind of picky about condition so new makes more sense to me. Is it really worth that much more for the bigger Malibu, What about the 8.1 is it overkill? Will i get the difference back if I sell in few years ( not the plan but>>>)?

Thanks for any advice offered.

Do you normally just ride with 5? If so I think the 23 LSV or even VLX would be plenty of boat for your family size. Buying a smaller boat (21ft or 23ft) would bring you closer to the Supra price...just a thought.

Supras are good boats. I don't mind saying that, I think we all know it.

Like the last poster said, a 247 is a whole lotta boat. Do you really need all that space and extra expense?

What will your family be using it for mostly? Tubing, skiing, boarding, surfing, hydrofoiling, cruising around on big water?

I believe if you wait to the end of the boating season in your area you will be able to pick up a nice deal on a used boat.