Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Collinite Marine Wax

Now a VLX Owner

Any suggestions of which Collinite Marine Wax to use on my Black and Grey VLX. I'm having a tough time with water spots. I've researched as much as I can but can't seem to be able to figure out the difference between the models.

1.) Fiberglass Boat Wax (No. 925)

2.) Liquid Fleet Wax (No. 870)

3.) Heavy Duty Paste Fleet Wax (No. 885)

4.) Liquid Insulator Wax (No. 845)

Thanks

Any suggestions of which Collinite Marine Wax to use on my Black and Grey VLX. I'm having a tough time with water spots. I've researched as much as I can but can't seem to be able to figure out the difference between the models.

1.) Fiberglass Boat Wax (No. 925)

2.) Liquid Fleet Wax (No. 870)

3.) Heavy Duty Paste Fleet Wax (No. 885)

4.) Liquid Insulator Wax (No. 845)

Thanks

Collonite 845 is the best out of there whole line!! It is really easy to apply a bit finiky to remove if applied to thick but its worth it.. and the durability of it is amazing!!

theres has been tests done on it where a boat owner didnt wash his boat for a year after using the 845 and there was still protection when the owner brought it back to the detailer to get done again!!

I just recieved an e-mail back from Collonite. This is what they said: "The best recommendation I can give you is to go with the #920 Boat Cleaner first and then follow up with either the #925 Boat Wax or #885 Fleetwax Paste. The #885 is the more durable of the two but it involves the most amount of rubbing/elbow grease where the #925 is a liquid and is easier to work with. The #845 Insulator Wax is the exact same product as the #925 Fiberglass Boat wax, just different labeled bottle."

Edited by Now a VLX Owner
I just recieved an e-mail back from Collonite. This is what they said: "The best recommendation I can give you is to go with the #920 Boat Cleaner first and then follow up with either the #925 Boat Wax or #885 Fleetwax Paste. The #885 is the more durable of the two but it involves the most amount of rubbing/elbow grease where the #925 is a liquid and is easier to work with. The #845 Insulator Wax is the exact same product as the #925 Fiberglass Boat wax, just different labeled bottle."

Ya ive heard the 925 is similiar didnt realize it was the exact same either way the 845 is killer.. Very DURABLE and leaves a nice shine as well..cant go wrong for 16$!

are there stores that sell this?

Ive heard that some NAPA stores sell it.. Otherwise u can always order it online from several retailers..I prefer ordering from autogeek.net for they cary everything u could imagine for your cars/boats!!

Looks to be a good deal cheaper at autogeek than at West Marine.

I've been looking for a better wax for the boat, this sounds promising. How well does it protect against water spots? My biggest problem with every wax I've tried so far is that they don't do a good job of this. I have to wipe down the boat with 50/50 water & vinegar to keep them under control, which ends up stripping the wax off fairly quickly.

I've been looking for a better wax for the boat, this sounds promising. How well does it protect against water spots? My biggest problem with every wax I've tried so far is that they don't do a good job of this. I have to wipe down the boat with 50/50 water & vinegar to keep them under control, which ends up stripping the wax off fairly quickly.

Waxes aren't going to protect against waterspots, the deposits are still going to be left on the surface after the water has evaporated. A good wax will make it easier to remove the minerals than if they were directly on the gelcoat.

But if you have really hard water, you should probably be using a polymer sealant and not wax, as it will withstand the abuse of vinegar or other solutions to strip the deposits.

Waxes aren't going to protect against waterspots, the deposits are still going to be left on the surface after the water has evaporated. A good wax will make it easier to remove the minerals than if they were directly on the gelcoat.

But if you have really hard water, you should probably be using a polymer sealant and not wax, as it will withstand the abuse of vinegar or other solutions to strip the deposits.

any good suggestions? and would it be better for all to use?

any good suggestions? and would it be better for all to use?

First off the question about Teflon.. No these products do not contain teflon...IMO u dont want to use teflon its crap!! It is a marketing gimic and only aids in application..There has been several discussions on detailing forums about it...Long story short for teflon to properly bond to a automobiles/boats surface it must be baked at 700deg it only aids in repeling contaminants just like any other wax/sealant!!

This product ( collonite 845) is very similiar to a polymer sealant and IMO and alot of others in the detailing bus will tell you it is has far more durablity than most all polymer sealants even klasse Sg!!! It goes on like a sealant as well and In my arsenal of products I dont even consider it a wax cause its so durable!!

NO mater what sealant/wax u use like stated after the water has evaporated the spot will still be there but its on top of the sealant/wax and depending on the quality of the sealant/wax will prove to you how easy or hard it is to remove..Quality products will release the minerals very easily with little work!!

Wiping down your boat with 50/50 will strip your wax no questions asked!! You need to get some sealant on the boat then use a quick detailer (megs nxt speed detailer works great) to wipe your boat down free of water spots!! Any time I have to use vinegar to remove spots I always rewax!! I personally use megs last touch as my spray detailer every time the boat comes out the water and the water spots wipe away with ease.. I also suggest putting RAin X on your windshield for it really helps when wiping the boat down the spots come right off!!

Edited by ADHD

I purchased some Collinite #920 Boat Cleaner and #925 Boat Wax (aka #845 Insulator Wax). I used both products per directions on the bottle. Hand waxed and polished no machines. Both products were very easy to apply and remove. I only used about 1/8 of each bottle (2 oz of 16 oz) to do the entire boat. The boat looks great with a very shinny and smooth surface. The wax does not apply or remove like a typical wax. The wax goes on clear, dries with a white haze and wipes off with NO dust. I used a micro fiber cloth to remove the wax, super easy to wipe off with no streaks. The wax seams like some type of poly wax.

We took the boat out boarding last weekend for about 6 hours. Took the boat out of the water and wiped down with towels. All water spots wiped right off with no effort. The boat looks as good as it did before hitting the water. I've used 3M Marine Wax and Meguiars Flagship Premium Marine Wax in the past with nasty water spot problems usually requiring an entire boat wash or spot remover to solve. I even tried Boat Brite over the top of previous waxes with poor results.

Bottom line is if the Collinite #925 Boat Wax holds up like I expect I'm a user for life. Nothing else I've tried even comes close.

I've used the insulator wax on cars and boat cleaner/wax products with fantastic results. A little goes a LONG way. Great stuff. Which reminds me- I need to get some.

I purchased some Collinite #920 Boat Cleaner and #925 Boat Wax (aka #845 Insulator Wax). I used both products per directions on the bottle. Hand waxed and polished no machines. Both products were very easy to apply and remove. I only used about 1/8 of each bottle (2 oz of 16 oz) to do the entire boat. The boat looks great with a very shinny and smooth surface. The wax does not apply or remove like a typical wax. The wax goes on clear, dries with a white haze and wipes off with NO dust. I used a micro fiber cloth to remove the wax, super easy to wipe off with no streaks. The wax seams like some type of poly wax.

We took the boat out boarding last weekend for about 6 hours. Took the boat out of the water and wiped down with towels. All water spots wiped right off with no effort. The boat looks as good as it did before hitting the water. I've used 3M Marine Wax and Meguiars Flagship Premium Marine Wax in the past with nasty water spot problems usually requiring an entire boat wash or spot remover to solve. I even tried Boat Brite over the top of previous waxes with poor results.

Bottom line is if the Collinite #925 Boat Wax holds up like I expect I'm a user for life. Nothing else I've tried even comes close.

EXELLENT!!! Glad u got it.. And yes Collonite is by far the best to use on a boat for you seen for yourself how easy water spots wipe right off after a full day in the lake and the boat looks just as good as it did before it hit the water!!

Know get yourself some 303 for the interior and your boat will be brand new looking all the time!!