Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Billage Overflow, WILL MY BOAT SINK?

When I look at the engine bay in the area of the yellow arrow below.

HullandSunset055.jpg

I notice that to the right of the billage pump there is another hull area that I cannot access. If water gets in HERE (see area noted by the yellow arrow below)

Hullhole2.jpg

3) how does it get out?

It does NOT seem to be connected to the cavity where the rear or engine area drain plugs are located. It's like a mystery zone? Who knows how this water gets out?

Edited by Malibudoc

peel the carpet back where the battery is located and to the left of where your feet are when driving.

drill a hole about 2" round and stick the shop vac hose in it and suck the water out.

only way to get it out that I could think of.

Test it, stick your finger in there and see if you feel water.

Very astute, Chris. May I suggest you test an electrical outlet in the same manner? Tease2.gif If you feel electricity, it's working. Shocking.gif

Hey, you started it today, I was trying to be good. :lol:

Is it the intention of the factory that water would NOT get in there? That seems a little odd to make a well that can collect water, but not remove it? There MUST be an 'outlet' for any water that gets in there... wouldn't you think?

Test it, stick your finger in there and see if you feel water.

Very astute, Chris. May I suggest you test an electrical outlet in the same manner? Tease2.gif If you feel electricity, it's working. Shocking.gif

Hey, you started it today, I was trying to be good. :lol:

what do they say about stupid questions?

Honestly the bilge you're looking at under the motor box is a liner, that hole is into the stringers. There are several more holes as you go further down the boat. I'm sure you will find that very little water is in there.

-Chris

I never took the drain plug out of the rear of the sporty, only the one under the engine box.

Is there any chance the transom plug would allow for drainage of this water? That water is going to be between the stringers and the hull. Is there a path for the water to get through the stringers and to this plug?

There is a hole in the hollow stringer on the starboard side right near the motor mount (and possibly others I just know of this one for sure). It's where the steering cable runs in. As I recall that hole is down towards the bottom of the stringer so as to allow water to run out and not accumulate. It would then run into the bilge and drain out of whichever plug you choose to pull.