Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Titan exhaust air jack

I got a flat tire this weekend. Not a fun way to end your day. I've had two flats in the last 4 years. The first one was just an old tire the second one don't know why it happened. It blew on the freeway and bent my trailer fender. I thought I was prepared to replace the tire but ran into a problem with my jack. My axle was too low for the jack to fit under and the trailer frame was too high for my jack. Has anyone used the Titan exhaust air jack or similar product?

http://www.streamlineimport.com/foa.htm

The website says it's safe for boat trailers. It's compact and looks easy to use. I figured it would be easier to keep in my truck than a floor jack.

Thanks,

Tony H

I had a similar one I bought off of ebay but, ended up throwing it out. The problem was that you needed a much longer hose than the one they supplied and they didn't offer that. You should check with this company on how long their hose is and measure from your exhaust tip to your furthest wheel.

I have this wrapped in a rubber door mat and bungeed to the bottom of my truck.

That was my concern. The standard hose length is 15 ft which does not obviously reach the rear tire. I have an email out to the company to see if they offer a longer hose. If you look at the website, it shows the air bag in the middle of the vehicle lifting both front and rear tires. I think a 15 ft hose will get me close enough to the front tire, I just wonder if it's enough to lift both tires off the ground.

I don't know why you'd need to lift both tires on one side of your trailer? Besides that, in all their pictures of the jack in use, it's under something that has a large surface area for the top of the jack to push up against. In your situation, you have an extremely small surface area to be jacking up. That being the square or round tube of your trailer axle. It would seem to me that the bag would envelope the axle and not really pick it up but, continue to expand all around the axle. You might wanna run your exact application by them and see if they have tried using it in that capacity.

BTW, how much?

I don't know why you'd need to lift both tires on one side of your trailer? Besides that, in all their pictures of the jack in use, it's under something that has a large surface area for the top of the jack to push up against. In your situation, you have an extremely small surface area to be jacking up. That being the square or round tube of your trailer axle. It would seem to me that the bag would envelope the axle and not really pick it up but, continue to expand all around the axle. You might wanna run your exact application by them and see if they have tried using it in that capacity.

BTW, how much?

Just go to kragen and buy a cheap jack that fits under your trailer.

You're missing something here, dhcomp.

Have you ever tried to jack your trailer when it had a flat tire? The axle is about 3" off the ground. And, you have to jack up the axle, if you try to jack up the frame, the amount of suspension travel until the wheel is off the ground high enough to get a fully inflated spare on is considerable. You'd need a jack with something like a 2.5' lift.

If your in a pinch, just pull your trailer up on a large flat rock.

I tried but had no luck finding anything large enough to help. I keep a couple 2 x 4's for wheel chocks I stacked them, but still not tall enough.

You're missing something here, dhcomp.

Have you ever tried to jack your trailer when it had a flat tire? The axle is about 3" off the ground. And, you have to jack up the axle, if you try to jack up the frame, the amount of suspension travel until the wheel is off the ground high enough to get a fully inflated spare on is considerable. You'd need a jack with something like a 2.5' lift.

That's why I thought the exhaust bag would be a good option. The 3 ton bag lays 2" flat and inflates to a max height of 25". The 4 ton bag looks looks like its a few inches taller.

Still waiting to hear back from the company on price.

I got an email back from the Titan folks. They suggested the 4 ton bag with an extra 15 ft hose. The 4 ton bag has a maximum lift height of 30". The kit is $108.00 plus another $20 for the extra hose. I'll try it for $128. Hell...it cost $95.00 and 45 minute wait for a tow truck to lift my trailer. I'll test it out when I get it and follow up with my findings.

Man, I'm really lucky that my tiny Expedition jack fits and lifts my trailer. AND the lug nuts are the same size as my Expeditions as well. So, one jack and one wrench.

Pete's idea is a good one though. One piece that will chock as well as lift. Good idea.