Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

where to get replacement gas cap

Lost gas cap on 07 response and need to replace, where? any temporay solutions so I can ski until I get my new one?

thanks

You have a spare cap on the other side of your boat. Use that! Whistling.gif

Lost gas cap on 07 response and need to replace, where? any temporay solutions so I can ski until I get my new one?

thanks

You have a spare cap on the other side of your boat. Use that! Whistling.gif

ROFL.gif clever, you are.

Try the dealer :Doh: , or http://www.bakesonline.com/ then you can get an exact match. For a temp solution, if your Malibu dealer needs to order it, take the other one to wally marine and look for one with the same threading.

Edited by TheBlackPearl

The following information came from a member named Waterbuggy on July 15 2005...

Marine Hardware

Redmond, WA

800-526-5971

gas cap ssdf-400lc @$15 (in 2002)

I think they still provide most of the hardware for Malibu

add about 6 -10 inches of ss chain from any local hardware store, so that the cap will rest on top of the deck when fueling. You will not loose any more caps.

A temp fix is a threaded PVC pipe plug. Can't remember the exact size (1" - 1 1/2"). I keep one in my spare parts bag.

Looks wally, but fits perfectly until I can get a proper replacement.

Edit - found a picture.

Edited by wienrdog
A temp fix is a threaded PVC pipe plug. Can't remember the exact size (1" - 1 1/2"). I keep one in my spare parts bag.

Looks wally, but fits perfectly until I can get a proper replacement.

Edit - found a picture.

Plus1.gif

I used this last year when my daughter and friends forgot to put the cap back on after filling with gas. At the end of the day, the cap was gone Surprised.gif . I bought a PVC plug until the dealer got a new stainless cap in stock. I left the PVC one in the boat just in case. The PVC plug does look ghetto, but less so than the duct tape that they used as a temporary fix. The size is 1.5".

Thanks everyone, I found a crappy plastic Perko to get me through the weekend, but I am sure it was a 1.75" in size. Also ordered the correct one from Marine Hardware as PP suggested, new part number is SSDF66400, and new price is $31

thanks again Thumbup.gif

• 2 years later...

Plus1.gif

I used this last year when my daughter and friends forgot to put the cap back on after filling with gas. At the end of the day, the cap was gone Surprised.gif . I bought a PVC plug until the dealer got a new stainless cap in stock. I left the PVC one in the boat just in case. The PVC plug does look ghetto, but less so than the duct tape that they used as a temporary fix. The size is 1.5".

Home depot, 96 cents, 1.5" PVC screw in plug. Very inexpensive insurance.

• 5 years later...

I just had to order a replacement for my '05 Response. As a temporary fix I did use a 1 1/2" PVC pipe plug. (For those debating 1 1/2" or 2", 1 1/2" pipe has an outside diameter measurement of 1.90 inches. I believe all Malibu boats since approx. 2000 have used this same 1 1/2" threaded fitting).

After speaking with Marine Hardware (425-883-065), the latest part number with the cable instead of the chain is SSDF400-1. Cost was $28.50 plus UPS shipping. Very polite and very easy to deal with.

• 4 years later...