Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rope wrapped around the prop shaft

nemalibu

So today I am out there with my family and another family. A great deal is going on (skiing, wake boarding, tubing, kids need to go back to the dock to use the bathroom) the tube is on the sun pad and I fail to notice the tube rope slip off the swim platform. We are backing away from the dock and the engine stops all of a sudden. I realize what has happened.

Lucky for me, I read the "recommended gear list" posting on this site and I have a swim mask with me. Lots of holding my breath and unwrapping the line and 15 minutes later we are at it again.

I can't say enough good about the Recommeded Gear List thread.

Happened to me once and the rope melted and fused itself back together around the shaft. Luckily the leatherman tool has a sharp knife in it. A six foot piece of tubing would have been nice to put on my snorkel though.

Happened to me once and the rope melted and fused itself back together around the shaft. Luckily the leatherman tool has a sharp knife in it. A six foot piece of tubing would have been nice to put on my snorkel though.

Same thing happend to me before, a knife is a must.

If you have a portable ballast bag pump, you already have a piece of tube you can use to breathe through. That's what I plan on using if needed.

Edited by dalt1
If you have a portable ballast bag pump, you already have a piece of tube you can use to breath through. That's what I plan on using if needed.

Be sure to breathe in through your mouth but out through your nose, otherwise you're just rebreathing the same air, which will become oxygen depleted. Shocking.gif That ain't good. No.gif

I'm sure you already knew that but maybe somebody didn't. Whistling.gif

I can't say enough good about the Recommeded Gear List thread.

Help! I can't find this thread! Anyone have the list??? I sure could have used that mask when our rope got caught Whistling.gif

It seems like it's always a tube rope. I guess the don't float Dontknow.gif

Our tube rope was sucked in, too. Luckily we were near the dock at the time.

It seems like it's always a tube rope.

Maybe that speaks to the driving skills of tube pullers... Crazy.gif

Tomato.gif Relax. I was just Tease2.gif ...........sort of. :lol:

Same with me, I was out on Don Pedro with some family... the boat started to feel a little wierd after leaving the marina... and we were missing a buoy... We are out wake-boarding and while driving, the steering wheel shook pretty bad, and the boat felt sluggish... we decided to call it a day (since we had been there all day) and wanted to figure out what was going wrong.. I thought the prop was bent a bit or something.. well i put it on the trailer and there was a rope from the buoy we had lost wrapped around the shaft!! DOH!!

It seems like it's always a tube rope.

Maybe that speaks to the driving skills of tube pullers... Crazy.gif

Tomato.gif Relax. I was just Tease2.gif ...........sort of. :lol:

Whistling.gif

Also - keep the rope in the boat (vs the swim platform), and you'll be able to keep an eye on it

Good rule to follow for skis as well. My wife occasionally leaves her ski on the platform when she's done. . .

Lots of fun asking the fishermen from Deliverance if we could have it back. Shocking.gif

Also - keep the rope in the boat (vs the swim platform), and you'll be able to keep an eye on it

Good rule to follow for skis as well. My wife occasionally leaves her ski on the platform when she's done. . .

Lots of fun asking the fishermen from Deliverance if we could have it back. Shocking.gif

My wife did that with a new pair of Connelly Claw gloves... only found one though. I did it once with a pair of shoe skis, luckily I found both.