Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Depth Guage -- "Flashing" / "Holding" Value

Folks -- perhaps this is similar to the recent "temperature" posts -- but in the last three days I've notice by Depth gauge will flash (similar to a warning in shallow areas) -- we have a weedy section of the lake -- but will not let go of the value as we travel to deeper sections (70'+). I can use the display toggle to reset, but the problem repeats -- it appears to be worse at "higher" speeds -- sat 30 mph+..... suggestions?

Going to a new lake in early August and need the comfort. As always - Thanks!

Same here on a 2007 RLXI.

It is on my to be fixed list once the season is over and the boat goes to the dealer for all minor issues.

BB

If it is flashing it is typically a bad ground wire under the dash. I cannot recall the specific wire but it probably would not hurt to tighten everything under there.

Still no luck... I crawled under the dash and tighted all the ground wires -- same thing.... OK until I come up to shallows and then blank display or held value. Worse at greater than 25 mph and seems to work at 5-10 mph, but this is "new". Could it have anything to do with water temp -- now at 82 in MI!

If you have a thought I'd appreciate an offer -- phoned my service tech and he didn't have a clue as to what might be the problem -- "over to the Crew for comment" :)

Thanks!

Still no luck... I crawled under the dash and tighted all the ground wires -- same thing.... OK until I come up to shallows and then blank display or held value. Worse at greater than 25 mph and seems to work at 5-10 mph, but this is "new". Could it have anything to do with water temp -- now at 82 in MI!

If you have a thought I'd appreciate an offer -- phoned my service tech and he didn't have a clue as to what might be the problem -- "over to the Crew for comment" :)

Thanks!

So what brand is it?

Are you in an area that has a lot a weeds? If the transducer doesn't receive a good signal back the display will flash.

The problem is compounded by speed. Does it stop blinking if you're not moving?

Does you boat have the info center, the center LCD screen? Not sure which year they started using those.

Regardless, any depth finder will have trouble in many of the lakes we boat on. I live in the midwest, near Kansas City. When going to Lake of the Ozarks, the lake is so polluted my depth finders rarely work at all. Of course they work on our home lake, so I know the problem is in the water.

Basically, a lot of things can cause problems. Everything from a hard thermocline to particulate matter in the water. Air bubbles going under the hull at speed also affect performance.

On my boat, the depth display that is permanent in the left gauge will hold the last number until the transducer picks up solid ground again. however the value in the info center will flash, telling me the transducer has lost the bottom.

Does you boat have the info center, the center LCD screen? Not sure which year they started using those.

Regardless, any depth finder will have trouble in many of the lakes we boat on. I live in the midwest, near Kansas City. When going to Lake of the Ozarks, the lake is so polluted my depth finders rarely work at all. Of course they work on our home lake, so I know the problem is in the water.

Basically, a lot of things can cause problems. Everything from a hard thermocline to particulate matter in the water. Air bubbles going under the hull at speed also affect performance.

On my boat, the depth display that is permanent in the left gauge will hold the last number until the transducer picks up solid ground again. however the value in the info center will flash, telling me the transducer has lost the bottom.

This is true for our 03 as well.