Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Kids kneeboards? Whats a comfortable model for 8-12 year olds?

1waterboy1

We currently have a Body Glove Manta Kids' Kneeboard (52"L X 19W). The board has been a good beginner board, but would like to have something better and more comfortable. Can anyone recommend something more advanced and comfortable than the body glove? Our kids are 8,10 & 12 years old.

We bought a Obrien Rush 5150 kneeboard from Bart's and it is to big for our kids. I'm thinking of sending it back, but don't know what to buy. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Waterboy,

I just picked up 2007 O'Brien System (119 cm) along with extra small System boots from Bart's for about $170 (it came to $195 with shipping). Pretty nice deal and it should work great for my 12 year old daughter since she only weighs about 75 pounds.

We have friends that have the O'brien PRO XLT for their kids (8 & 10). During a group trip was used most of the time by all the children 6 & older.

The kids really like it, but aren't trying to pull any serious tricks. It has a pop-up handle holder to make starts easier & floats well by itself. It is comfortable for an adult to use.

If its surface spins you want more, the HO Kustom is a great board with a good amount of lift off the wake, we upgraded from an older HO that had retractable fins and a thick body to the Kustom some time ago and the kids love it compared to the old one. Our girls are 11 and 8, our youngest really likes the kneeboard action vs. others watersports right now so this year we got her an Obrien lowrider for the pop off the wake, the lowrider doesn’t spin as easily as the Kustom with, lets say larger people, because of the very thin profile, but man it can get some air!

Kneeboardplanet had a great write up on the differences in good boards, maybe Tuneman or someone from the new kneeboard website will chime in.

Our choices have been exactly what we wanted in a board for our girls.

I think there are a few good prices on one or both of these boards right now on Ebay, I'll post them if there are.

Edited by lakewaterjunky

Here is the new site for kneeboardplanet kneeboardworld

Here is the article that may be helpful, it was for us. kneeboard savvy

Here is the same year Kustom we got HO Kustom on Ebay

Here is a 2008 lowrider Obrien Lowrider on Ebay

Here is what seems to be an older lowrider Older Lowrider on Ebay

I highly suggest watching this Very Cool

Edited by lakewaterjunky

I have to tell ya, we've taught more kids on just a basic O'Brien Black Magic Kneeboard than any other board we've ever put in our boat. Can put the fin down to help with tracking until they get the hang of it. And its still pretty fun even for the adults. I'm sure its not much for serious kneeboarding though, but we have had two or three of these things over the last 10 years and the first one is still used from time to time.

My kids learned on a 30 year old Hydroslide. I am thinking of upgrading it but my 9 and 10 year od get up, cross the wakes do some sideslides and jump the wake a little on it.

Yeah, what lakewaterjunky said. You'll outgrow any thick plastic kneeboard quickly. Plus, they have a ton of drag. Try a Lowrider or Ricochet.

HO Striker is nice too.

Iv'e been reading this thread and just joined so I could post. My kids are 7, 10 & 12 and just kneeboarded last weekend for the first time. They liked it more than skiing and wakeboarding so now I'm looking for a kneeboard too.

I went to our local boat dealer yesterday and they had the HO striker as a demo and will sell it to me for $100.00 out the door. They also had the HO Electron new for $139.00. I was wondering if the striker would be to advanced for them. They also got into doing 360's and I'm not sure if the striker is good for that or more for wake jumping. I went in looking for the HO Kustom that someone on here recommended but he would have to order it and it was a lot more $$$.

I'm sure the striker is a good deal at $100.00 but is it a good board for beginner kids that want to do spins?

HO Striker is nice too.

Iv'e been reading this thread and just joined so I could post. My kids are 7, 10 & 12 and just kneeboarded last weekend for the first time. They liked it more than skiing and wakeboarding so now I'm looking for a kneeboard too.

I went to our local boat dealer yesterday and they had the HO striker as a demo and will sell it to me for $100.00 out the door. They also had the HO Electron new for $139.00. I was wondering if the striker would be to advanced for them. They also got into doing 360's and I'm not sure if the striker is good for that or more for wake jumping. I went in looking for the HO Kustom that someone on here recommended but he would have to order it and it was a lot more $$$.

I'm sure the striker is a good deal at $100.00 but is it a good board for beginner kids that want to do spins?

IMHO the Striker is a great intermediate board with abilities for more advanced tricks if the kids want. The compression molded boards spin like tops thanks to the rocker in them that also creates pop off the wake. So yes, great for surface spins and it's a great deal at $100. The Striker is comparable to the OBrien LowRider as far as intermediate+ riding characteristics. Most of the kids I've introduced to kneeboarding actually prefer the intermediate boards to the starter boards after they get comfortable riding.

Check out kneeboardworld.com also - lots of great folks that would be willing to chime in with advice and feedback on the forum. The Home page has tips and tricks for all abilities.

Happy riding!

Thanks so much for your reply. I just found out its the 2003/2004 model with the scorpion on it. It seems in pretty good shape, a little fading and a small chip on the side. Do you still think its a good deal for $100.00?

Thanks again

Absolutely... a great deal! I would buy it if I found it. They typically retail for at least $50-60 more than that (at best). They really haven't changed the design. Small chips (hopefully it's more of a nick) won't affect the characteristics much either. HO makes a nice strong board and I personally really like their pads.

I ride an HO Joker for the most part (I also have an O'Brien Lowrider).

Absolutely... a great deal! I would buy it if I found it. They typically retail for at least $50-60 more than that (at best). They really haven't changed the design. Small chips (hopefully it's more of a nick) won't affect the characteristics much either. HO makes a nice strong board and I personally really like their pads.

I ride an HO Joker for the most part (I also have an O'Brien Lowrider).

OK I got it yesterday for $80.00 out the door. Thanks so much for your help. Maybe we'll get to try it out this weekend.

Can kids get up on their knees on these boards or do you need to start on your stomach like my kids do on the old Hydroslide that my kids are using now.

I think that depends on how your kids are progressing. It took me awhile to get deep water starts strapped in on my knees (I still occasionally have issues with it). I strap in on the platform on my first entry and then do belly starts after crashing (which I do alot of). My nephews do belly starts (17yo and 14yo). It may be more of a physical pull too for a kid on the strapped in deep water starts.

The alternative would be beach starts: strapped into the board in very shallow water or beach (gotta lean back to keep from face planting).

With the compression boards your getting rocker and edging advantages and not bouyancy (if that's the angle you were coming from).

Hope that helps.