Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help Diagnose My Problem

I have an 06 21XTi and it always seem to lean to the starboard (driver's) side. I emptied it out to see if this was all in my head and the same thing happened. It appears to be heavy on that side.

When it's anchored and no one's aboard, the right side of the swim platform is partially submerged while the port side of the platform isn't touching the water. When I pull a skier, the boat is severly leaning to the driver's side. I don't think I'm the issue as I weigh in at 150 lbs. and when I drive while sitting in the observer's seat, the angle isn't as bad, but it is still there.

Does anyone have any ideas. I think it is a weight related issue, but that means that there is some hidden weight in there because I emptied it out. I'm baffled by this.

I have an 06 21XTi and it always seem to lean to the starboard (driver's) side. I emptied it out to see if this was all in my head and the same thing happened. It appears to be heavy on that side.

When it's anchored and no one's aboard, the right side of the swim platform is partially submerged while the port side of the platform isn't touching the water. When I pull a skier, the boat is severly leaning to the driver's side. I don't think I'm the issue as I weigh in at 150 lbs. and when I drive while sitting in the observer's seat, the angle isn't as bad, but it is still there.

Does anyone have any ideas. I think it is a weight related issue, but that means that there is some hidden weight in there because I emptied it out. I'm baffled by this.

Could be gas???? Do u have stereo equipemnt?

If u bought the boat used Id maybe look for some lead weight u never know what people use for weight these days!

If u bought the boat used Id maybe look for some lead weight u never know what people use for weight these days!

Doesn't the XTI have the storage compartment on the starboard side and an aisle on the port side. I wonder if the storage bin itself adds enough weight for the boat to tilt to the starboard.

I also had an 05 XTi and that one didn't have the leaning problem so I don't think it is the storage on the right side. And I bought it new so anything that is in there would be from the factory.

Doesn't the XTI have the storage compartment on the starboard side and an aisle on the port side. I wonder if the storage bin itself adds enough weight for the boat to tilt to the starboard.

Edited by twrv

Sounds to me like a defective hull. The fact that it leans while sitting rules out bent tracking fins, and natural pull from the prop. The only two possibilities are hidden weight and defective hull. Maybe the gelcoat got thicker/heavier on the starboard side?

Does your boat have left and right rear ballast tanks?

Edited by Brodie

No, there's no ballast tanks at all. I checked the rudder and even bought a new prop. Still leans. Could gelcoat be heavy enough to cause this?

Sounds to me like a defective hull. The fact that it leans while sitting rules out bent tracking fins, and natural pull from the prop. The only two possibilities are hidden weight and defective hull. Maybe the gelcoat got thicker/heavier on the starboard side?

Does your boat have left and right rear ballast tanks?

I have an issue with port side leaning when I have my cooler filled on my Vride as it is located on the port side. What I do to accommodate for the additianal weight of ice and adult beverages in a 60 quart cooler is to fill my starboard ballast enough to even it out - before I figured that trick out I moved anything heavy (including my larger friends) to that side of the boat.

This has been happening since '06, or you just bought it used recently?

From the sound if it, that's several hundred pounds of weight. I know I (245lb) don't move my SLXi as much as you describe when I'm on one side of the platform.

That much weight should be obvious. If it's not, then it seems like a dealer should look at it to identify what the issue is.

I doubt just your weight as driver is doing it as there should be some list when you are driving it by yourself, but not severe.

You sure the platform is mounted level? Measure from bottom of transom to platform on each side to check.

It has been happening since I got it new in 06. I always assumed is was how I stored gear or the places people were sitting. I finally drove the boat alone and noticed how bad it was. Then we emptied out all the gear and it was still leaning.

I'm figuring it should be something obvious too, and I've dug around under the bilge but I can't seem to get under the floor to see what might be causing it.

It's at the dealer right now and they can't figure it out either so far. I was hoping somebody on here would be able to diagnose it.

This has been happening since '06, or you just bought it used recently?

From the sound if it, that's several hundred pounds of weight. I know I (245lb) don't move my SLXi as much as you describe when I'm on one side of the platform.

That much weight should be obvious. If it's not, then it seems like a dealer should look at it to identify what the issue is.

I doubt just your weight as driver is doing it as there should be some list when you are driving it by yourself, but not severe.

You sure the platform is mounted level? Measure from bottom of transom to platform on each side to check.

Weird. Can/have they put a scale under each trailer wheel to see if there is a weight difference between sides of the boat.

One possibility is water in/under/around the foam under the floor on that side of the boat. Shouldn't happen with an '06, but could be.

Would be good to know overall weight of boat & trailer to see if it's about as advertised.

Are you using the swim platform as your reference on the boat listing. Put a level on it . Everything on these boats is hand done. Somethings can and will be off a little. A carpet saver will show how different layouts are on the same model of boat. Also,your swim platform could be off angle or the brackets or the way it is mounted. No two boats are exactly alike.

Another thing is if you have a tower. What is on it. The higher something is the more leverage it has to cause the list ie boardrack. The other is how your gas tank is mounted. There just put in and bracketed down. Might be a little bit off center to your listing side. And if your tank is not completely full or almost empty the gas will flow to that side causing the weight difference.

I know that older boats many times had problems with the foam below the floor soaking up and holding water. I'm not sure about boats built since they did away with using wood. Possibly yours has an issue with the foam on just one side.

I know that older boats many times had problems with the foam below the floor soaking up and holding water. I'm not sure about boats built since they did away with using wood. Possibly yours has an issue with the foam on just one side.

[/quote2006 XTI, unless it has sat in the water since purchase. Highly unlikely it's anything to do with water absorption in the foam. Unless there is some major damage to the gelcoat exposing the fiberglass.

It's got 80 hours on it and the only time it sits in the lake is when we are out skiing. I store it in the garage.

Dealership can't quite figure it out either, but they recommended I pay attention to whether or not it tracks without steering input and that I make adjustments to the rudder trim tab. They don't want to rely on how the swim platform sits in the water just yet because, as was mentioned here, the platform could be off.

If the lean continues they say I'll probably have to send it to Malibu.

I brought it to a truck stop today to get it weighed, but they couldn't measure the left side and right, they only weigh axles, or rigs (or front to back, not side to side), so I'm out of luck there.

Any other ideas?

Not a problem, a blessing. Just switch to surfing 247. You already have built in hull list. The Darkside should be SWEET!

• 1 month later...

Well, I went and had the boat weighed on the trailer (portable scales, so not sure how accurate) and the starboard side showed to weight about 400 lbs. heavier than the port. I've been e-mailing Malibu about this and they don't know what it is, but they have said that it may be "normal." I don't think so.

Well, I went and had the boat weighed on the trailer (portable scales, so not sure how accurate) and the starboard side showed to weight about 400 lbs. heavier than the port. I've been e-mailing Malibu about this and they don't know what it is, but they have said that it may be "normal." I don't think so.

That's crazy, 400lbs. more on one side!?!? It will be interesting to hear what the final outcome is on this, keep us posted!