Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Diamond Vs Wake

txwakejunkie

post-5306-1215746394_thumb.jpg

This is my LSV, I am being told that it is the Diamond Hull. Does anyone have a pic of an lsv with the wake hull so that i can see the diff?

How much of a diff does it really make with the surf wake?

how much of a diff does it really make with the wakeboarding wake?

Thanks

This is my LSV, I am being told that it is the Diamond Hull. Does anyone have a pic of an lsv with the wake hull so that i can see the diff?

My dealer said people were telling him the diamond does better at surf wake...note that you aren't planing yet, so the chines aren't doing their main job which takes over at higher speeds (others say the V25 is better), but the V25 is better for advanced wakeboarders. Now I put an advanced, sponsored boarder behind my VLX with the diamond and he was doing lots of really sick tricks, but I'm betting he wished he was behind the V25. Dealer said he called Malibu about the Diamond vs V25 surf wake (nobody debates which is the better wakeboard wake) and got mixed results...50/50. The Malibu guys said they were planning to do a direct comparison of the two for exactly that reason. I'll see if the dealer had any more info on that....sorry I don't have something more definitive for you, but someone will answer your question....I can tell you my Diamond makes a beautiful wake, but I'm betting you will get piles of opinions here. Hopefully you get something from people who have done a real side-by-side. Stupid me, I had the opportunity to do that two weekends ago, but didn't think about it....doh!!!!

Edited by SC Fam

By the way, when I zoom in I don't see the heavily reversed chines...if your boat is a Diamond, you can count on better handling, maybe comparable or slightly better/worse surf wake, and a nice wakeboard wake that is better than 80-90% of the boats out there. Enjoy!!

By the way, that boat has got to be throwing a freakin' sick surf wave when you've got it set up right. My bud has one and it is impressive.

Edited by SC Fam
We were told that the diamond hull doesn't make a difference until the 30mph range.

It is supposed to plane better and handle better. Throw a smaller wake at higher (30+) speeds for skiers....but it is still planing at 20 mph, so I'd expect it is throwing a smaller wakeboard wake than the V25...but unless you are a sponsored guy throwing massive aerials, I think 90% of weekend warriors are really splitting hairs about their V25s...which they aren't capable of taking full advantage anyway....I boarded the advanced wake setup on my MLS (Diamond Hull) and it intimidated me. Maybe someday.....with lots of practice!!! Then maybe I'll start thinking V25 (and groupies and all of that...) Cheers.gif

Diamond hull has more drag, less top speed. That is why a Sportster can get 50MPH with a 310hp carb engine and a Respose can't even get 45 with a 320LCR IMO. It's not the 200lbs difference that does that.

Explain why the diamond hull has more drag? I would have thought since the hull has more lift out of water it would have less drag and hence faster top speed.

Why would it have more lift? I beleive it has more drag because of the chimes which sort of act as tracking fins. IMO, Diamond hulls are better for slalom because they give you more tracking, but other than that the wake hull is best. Not sure for surfing thought...

Thanks

Edited by CTSunsetter

I have the Diamond Hull and my friend has the wake hull. The ONLY difference is a very slight < 1" down turn on the very outer parts of the hull. You can SEE it in the wake above about 26+ mph. Therefore the wake is smaller, the boat isn't PLOWING in the water and therefore the "drag" should be less. I guess an argument could be made that the front portion of the hull is more in the water, but doubt that it adds noticable drag. :unsure:

As for surf wake, there should be no difference, b/c as someone said...the boat isn't going fast enough for the chines to matter. As for the wake at wakeboard speeds, I think it is achievable but just takes more weight to sink the boat. I have had amateur pro riders behind my boat and never told them about the hull and they didn't say anything but RAVE about it.

Why would it have more lift? I beleive it has more drag because of the chimes which sort of act as tracking fins. IMO, Diamond hulls are better for slalom because they give you more tracking, but other than that the wake hull is best. Not sure for surfing thought...

I have the Diamond Hull and my friend has the wake hull. The ONLY difference is a very slight < 1" down turn on the very outer parts of the hull. You can SEE it in the wake above about 26+ mph. Therefore the wake is smaller, the boat isn't PLOWING in the water and therefore the "drag" should be less. I guess an argument could be made that the front portion of the hull is more in the water, but doubt that it adds noticable drag. :unsure:

As for surf wake, there should be no difference, b/c as someone said...the boat isn't going fast enough for the chines to matter. As for the wake at wakeboard speeds, I think it is achievable but just takes more weight to sink the boat. I have had amateur pro riders behind my boat and never told them about the hull and they didn't say anything but RAVE about it.

You may be right, I could never really compare apples with apples because the Sportster was only available with the wake hull but it was my assumption of why such a big difference in performance and wake for barefooting. I have footed a 1996 Response with a wake hull and liked the wake better for barefooting than my 2006 Response with diamond hull, but did not compare top speeds. They did not have the same engine anyways... Does your boat and your friend's have the same engine and prop? If so, I would be very curious on what your RPM and top speed are at WOT...

We love our boat and wouldnt trade it for anything. It does all that we need it to and more. I just read about people having one or the other and how one is harder to surf then the other and it got me thinkiing about what we had.

Some one above said something about the surf wake. We are still working on it, but here is what we have so far:

front, center, rear surf side ballast full.

400# in rear locker

400# in surf side seat.

wedge down

10.7-11mph (speed may be off ??)

me driving (245#)

two other adults in boat.

Wife surfin.

post-5306-1215782955_thumb.jpg

As far as the wakeboard wake. factory ballast and the wedge is all we need. I tried using the 400lbs sacs in the rear lockers and it is WAY more wake then i need right now. I will get a pic of it this weekend.

not exactly apples and apples on the motor/prop. He has the Monsoon and I have the HH. I do think we are both on 16 pitch 3 blade props. Doubt they are the same maker. Mine will top out EMPTY with 2 people at about 43'ish at 5000-5200 rpm WOT. Mine will actually spin faster due to the down prop so I am not ALL WOT...I would rather trade off a bit of top end for the down low bite to SURF and Wakeboard.

You may be right, I could never really compare apples with apples because the Sportster was only available with the wake hull but it was my assumption of why such a big difference in performance and wake for barefooting. I have footed a 1996 Response with a wake hull and liked the wake better for barefooting than my 2006 Response with diamond hull, but did not compare top speeds. They did not have the same engine anyways... Does your boat and your friend's have the same engine and prop? If so, I would be very curious on what your RPM and top speed are at WOT...

The highly coveted Diamond Hull.

See - I told ya so.

At low speeds our diamond hull makes one of the best wakes around.

At higher speeds (30 plus) it flattens out to a fairly pleasant slalom wake - not DD wake but close.

My '03 WS23LSV will go a GPS 51mph with the 537 prop and decent water.

I changed to 1235 prop for better surfing and boarding but it has the same slalom wake and I haven't done a top end test but have seen 48 so far.

We went with a DD wake hull, you have to really manage your weight and have no boards, racks, bimini on the tower to get a decent wake to ski. But a true ski boat doesn't have a tower anyways, we test drove both diamond hull versus wake hull and from the inside of the boat could not tell the difference at 30mph+

that's a wake hull and for boarding there is a big difference. Diamond hull boaters will tell you otherwise! But side by side they don't stack up. For surfing I"m on the fence, can't say one is better or worse yet but have surfed behind both.

The first two pictures are of the diamond hull, while the third is of the wake hull.

Did they make a version in the middle, because my hull has a slight flat spot on the edges but not so sharp as the first two pics you posted?

Edited by 68Slalom
The first two pictures are of the diamond hull, while the third is of the wake hull.

Did they make a version in the middle, because my hull has a slight flat spot on the edges but not so sharp as the first two pics you posted?

Yes the sv23 diamond and then the cut diamond hulls. On my SLXI the outside edge has a slight sharp angled edge.

Yes the sv23 diamond and then the cut diamond hulls. On my SLXI the outside edge has a slight sharp angled edge.

So I was told we had the SV25, but it does not look like the third picture you posted. No wonder they gave me a deal on it Whistling.gif

Diamond hull needs a little more weight for same wake. It is a little harder to list the boat, but not a large amount. Biggest deal I've seen is the secondary lip formed on the wake about half way up the wake. It is more pronounced on the Diamond due to the sharper down angle on the side(edge) of the hull. A proper surfwake has the boat pushing and slightly slipping through the water. It does not move directly forward .The water travels from the opposite side your surfing it approaches the bow is PUSHed under it , then SLIPs down the hull to stern and POPs out the back forming the wake. If enough slip it forms that flat top where the wake breaks back over to the nonsurfing side and forms a lip (no curl). Some refer to it as a table top great for slides and air and tricks. I am no marine engineer, it just noticeable what happens to the lake weeds and how the water flows. There is not much else to do when your VAB and hanging out the boat inches from the water, but watch the water flow.